Just got back from Vegas

Pretty self-explanatory
E.C. Lover

Just got back from Vegas

Post by E.C. Lover »

The Vegas show was AMAZING! We had secod row seats just off center, and it was everything I hoped and dreamed second row would feel like. The show was actually really out of the ordinary from the other shows I've seen this tour. It was VERY high energy. Lot's of classics and crowd pleasers. He went on promptly at 9:00 and played 2 hours with three encores.
One of the coolest things about this show was the crowd. It seemed to be filled with devoted fans, young and old. The energy of the crowd was fantastic and you could tell E.C. was feeling it. My husband made the commemt"Is Elvis trying to lose ten pounds tonight?" He was just great!
I didn't have the sense to keep a playlist, but this very young guy in front of us was keeping it and he said he'd e-mail it to me. This guy was so cool, he was loving every second of the show and singing along. It was really heartning to see such a young and loyal fan. There was also many an attractive young girl in our section which must make Elvis feel pretty good. Actually , one young woman jumped up on stage and wrapped her arms around him. He was definitely surprised and seemed taken back for a moment. The band couldn't stop laughing. That was kinda interesting.
Anyway, Fabulous show, I must stop rambling now.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Thanks for the rundown, sounds like you had a wonderful time. Its a great feeling when you have just been to an Elvis gig but when the high dissapears it just leaves you miserable and wanting more! I'm full of envy....its been yonks since he did a UK show :cry:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

EC LOVER~
Glad you had a great time at the show. Your description of EC and the atmosphere was right on. I was in the 3rd row center @ Philly on July 9 and......you took the words right out of my mouth from EC right down to the audience reaction. (No girlies jumping on stage but that's a great idea and I'll have to remember that for next time!) :lol:

You too, Gilli~it was very exciting esp. since I got to meet him and get a pic after the show!! As a matter of fact, I went from a big high to a crash as soon as EC and the band left the stage before the 2nd encore because I knew it was almost over. I kept telling myself to cut it out and enjoy the rest of the show. It's a great memory that I know anyone who has met their 'idol', if you will, would understand.
Plus I have a picture to boot!!
E.C. Lover

Post by E.C. Lover »

That young guy I mentioned just e-mailed me the set list, so here goes...

1. I Hope You're Happy Now
2. Tear Off Your Own Head (It's A Doll Revolution)
3. Everyday I Write the Book
4. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
5. Accidents Will Happen
6. Beyond Belief
7. Radio, Radio
8. Everybody's Crying Mercy
9. Clubland
10. Clown Strike
11. Just About Glad
12. Pump It Up
13. Either Side of the Same Town
14. High Fidelity
15. I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down
16. Pouring Water on A Drowning Man
17. Uncomplicated

1st Encore:
18. Watching the Detectives/ Your Funeral and My Trial/ Watching the
Detectives
19. Dust

2nd Encore:
20. Brilliant Mistake
21. (I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea
22. Honey, Are You Straight or Are You Blind?
23. Less than Zero

3rd Encore:
24. Sweet Dreams
25. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror/ You Really Got A Hold On Me/ Deep
Dark Truthful Mirror
26. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding
E.C. Lover

Post by E.C. Lover »

That young guy I mentioned just e-mailed me the set list, so here goes...

1. I Hope You're Happy Now
2. Tear Off Your Own Head (It's A Doll Revolution)
3. Everyday I Write the Book
4. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
5. Accidents Will Happen
6. Beyond Belief
7. Radio, Radio
8. Everybody's Crying Mercy
9. Clubland
10. Clown Strike
11. Just About Glad
12. Pump It Up
13. Either Side of the Same Town
14. High Fidelity
15. I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down
16. Pouring Water on A Drowning Man
17. Uncomplicated

1st Encore:
18. Watching the Detectives/ Your Funeral and My Trial/ Watching the
Detectives
19. Dust

2nd Encore:
20. Brilliant Mistake
21. (I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea
22. Honey, Are You Straight or Are You Blind?
23. Less than Zero

3rd Encore:
24. Sweet Dreams
25. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror/ You Really Got A Hold On Me/ Deep
Dark Truthful Mirror
26. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding
grliegrl21

Post by grliegrl21 »

E.C. Lover,
Where were you sitting? I was also in the second row with my friend Jackie.
Crescent Fresh.
E.C. Lover

Post by E.C. Lover »

Grliegrl,
We were in seats 7 and 8 just left of center, right in front of Steve Nieve. I remembered that you were going to be there so I told my husband to keep a look out for someone who looked just as happy to be there as I was. We didn't expect everyone around us to be sooo happy to be there too. That's what actually helped to make this show so memorable.
I was the one who couldn't stay seated. I was wearing a denim jacket and khaki pants and a very big smile!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Hi.... I was also at the show with my mum and dad (on holiday from Scotland, sitting about 2/3rds back on the left) and I am still in frenzy regarding the show's magnificence! I was at the show at Edinburgh fringe last year, but this was a lot more punchy.

:twisted:
HungupStrungup

LV Review

Post by HungupStrungup »

Costello pulls out all stops, delivers a classic

By Spencer Patterson, LAS VEGAS SUN

When: Friday.
Where: The Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel.
Rating (out of 5 stars): Five

Twenty-two minutes into his performance Friday night at The Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel, Elvis Costello took a sip from his coffee mug. The way his show had progressed to that point, you'd have thought he'd go looking for an oxygen tank instead.

Striding to the stage promptly at 9 p.m., Costello and his three-piece band, the Imposters, tore through their first seven numbers without pausing even for a single second. The onslaught included such early Costello classics as "Everyday I Write the Book" and "(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes," signaling that this would not be a concert dominated by new material. The singer/guitarist would go on to play just one song from last year's "When I Was Cruel," and debuted nothing from his upcoming September release, "North." Instead, the 47-year-old scoured his vast songbook like an excited college DJ, plucking gems from nearly every album in his catalog.

The crowd of 1,260, much of it middle-aged, couldn't keep pace with the unflagging Costello. Until three marathon encore sessions, fans sat for most of the night, rising to applaud enthusiastically between songs before returning to their seats. Costello didn't seem to mind, though he coaxed his audience to its feet once before ending the initial hits blitz. While keyboardist Steve Nieve, drummer Pete Thomas and bassist Davey Faragher kept the beat going between songs, Costello stood three feet behind his microphone and simply waited for the crowd to rise before coming forward to sing "Radio, Radio." Apparently, recently inducted Rock and Roll Hall of Famers don't have to say "jump" to get fans to do it.

Costello looked every bit the part of rock royalty, clothed in a black suit and black shirt and sporting his trademark black-rimmed eyeglasses. His voice sounded crisp and biting as ever and his guitar sang, though he left much of the soloing to longtime collaborator Nieve. Eyes hidden behind dark sunglasses, the bearded keyboardist spiced up the quartet's rhythms all night. One minute Nieve was giving New Wave classic "Pump It Up" its roller-rink flair, the next he was transforming "Clubland" into something akin to Flamenco. Faragher, a recent newcomer to the lineup, had no trouble keeping up with the far-ranging set list. Thomas, one of Costello's original Attractions, looked simply delirious, banging away and singing the lyrics to every song even though there was no microphone nearby.

During the two-hour, 15-minute performance, Costello paid special attention to his overlooked mid-1990s period, presenting "Clown Strike" and "Just About Glad" from 1994's "Brutal Youth" and two cuts from his 1995 covers project, "Kojak Variety." The band's anguished rendition of James Carr's "Pouring Water on a Drowning Man" and a revved-up run through "Uncomplicated" provided a strong finish to the main set, with an hour's worth of music still to come.

The trio of encores featured more of Costello's best-known material, including "(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea," "Less Than Zero" and a swinging "Watching the Detectives" with improvised lyrics tacked onto the end. Costello also had some fun with his finale, adding one version of The Who's "The Kids Are Alright" into Nick Lowe's classic, "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding," before finally calling it quits.

------------
Former Black Crowes frontman Chris Robinson entertained early arrivers with an excellent opening set of countrified, mainly acoustic roots rock. The shaggy singer's gravelly voice sounded even grittier than usual, and his cohort, British guitarist Paul Stacey, made instant fans of those paying attention to his dynamic yet understated solos.

The duo also got a surprise boost from special guest Warren Haynes. The guitarist for the Allman Brothers and Gov't Mule sat in on two songs, including traditional number "I Know Your Rider," made popular by the Grateful Dead. "When you can get Warren Haynes on a Friday night when there's no Allmans or Gov't Mule, it's a lucky Friday," Robinson announced.

Actually, just the start of a very lucky Friday night.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"