Tell Us How You Met....

Pretty self-explanatory
SweetPear

Tell Us How You Met....

Post by SweetPear »

I've come to realize that quite a few here have had an Elvis encounter. And some of you little bastards, more than one. I, and I'm sure the others would love to hear your story..........

So~What was it like when you met Elvis????
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Just the once for me, after the Pittsburgh show last October. EC was very cool. Took a lot of time to sign autographs, take pictures, etc. He signed my Japanese tour program.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

He did a show in Indianapolis last year, and I stood in line, waiting for an autograph. I shook his hand, told him he gave an incredible show, and that I was hoping he would do "Poisoned Rose". He said that was one of his favorites, too, but that he didn't remember it! My boyfriend took our picture, and I shook his hand again and thanked him for his time. There was an actual conversation, but I don't remember it because I was so excited...!
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Unfortunely Elvis has not had the pleasure of meeting me yet despite writing me several begging letters and hanging around my house trying to catch a glimpse of me..........

and then I woke up! :roll:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

I accidentally met Elvis and the Attractions outside the Dublin Olympic Ballroom in 1983 (PTC tour).

I saw 4 blokes walking along with ciggies and I asked if they had a light (Elvis and I both smoked in those days). Big stammering shock when they turned around!
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

JD~
No Way!!! That is sooooo cool!!
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

The last time (of 3) that I met Elvis was outside Hammersmith Apollo after the show on 13th September 2002.

There were about 8 of us. We waited for about 45 minutes and had a chat with Davey and he signed my 45 flyer. Elvis came out and was chatting away with us when my phone went. It was about midnight. It was my fiancee (now my wife) who wanted to know when I would be home as she thought I'd be coming straight home and wanted to go to bed. In the event, my mate was down from the Midlands and he gave me a lift home as he was near enough passing my house to get to the motorway.

I cut away and spoke to my fiancee (some things are more important than Elvis) much to my mate's amusement. I have to admit, it was a superb piece of timing on my fiancee's part! I then went back and chatted to Elvis who was very gracious. He signed my 45 flyer as well and told us not to bother buying the WIWC tour edition. He was miffed that the record company issued it at the end of the tour.

At the time he was with Cait and you wouldn't have thought there was any problem between them. She gave me a funny look though. She was probably wondering what could have been so important to drag me away from Elvis!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Damn, wish I'd been the 9th person. At the time, I hadn't fully appreciated how open he was to meeting people. To be honest, I'm not sure I could handle it. I know he's a mere mortal, but, well, he's Elvis Costello!
verbal gymnastics

Otis - I've just been lucky. My mate - who goes to almost every date - had followed Elvis on every UK date in 2002. Elvis only apparently met with fans on the Hammersmith night. The Imposters came out in differing numbers each night but our El only chatted to fans that night.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Nah, your mate was in the wrong place at the 'Pool Mountford Hall show, VG. Elvis came out through the normal doors, down the steps, headed around the other side of his bus and chatted to fans there. I saw it going on, but I got too drunk towards the end of the gig and walked into a lampost (what is it with me and big metal poles?), so I sat on a wall while my mates tried to chat him and Davey up. I did *touch* the tour bus while jumping up and down to see through the window just before we went in, though :lol: .

I've stood next to him and pretended I didn't have a clue who he was. That's about it. I'd never try to meet Elvis "properly" because A) Far too shy, and B) I'll only be disappointed when he tells me to piss off.
verbal gymnastics

PoP - great story! So, what IS it with you and big metal poles then? Are you a poledancer? :lol: :lol:

And HOW can you even think to get drunk at an EC gig? You're not one of those people who sing loudly and out of tune to all the hits are you? I prefer to sing out of tune (whilst sober!) to Episode of Blonde and Tear off your own head.

Each to one's own!
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

VG, there was another incident not so long ago that involved one too many sherberts and a large metal post which left me with a very sore collar bone. The lovely DrJ was on hand with advice -- none of which included "Stop drinking". Which was odd.

I didn't mean to get drunk at the gig. What are we supposed to do when the bar is attached to the stage and a mere five steps away? And no, I do not sing loudly nor dance wildly. I just sway and mutter to myself.

It's not big and it's not clever.
verbal gymnastics

PlaythingOrPet wrote:And no, I do not sing loudly nor dance wildly. I just sway and mutter to myself.
If it's of any interest, I don't dance well and can only do the Standard Issue Bloke Dances ie
1. Moving left and right feet forward and back out of time
2. Slow dance ie dancing around and around
3. Arms and legs flying about all over the place.

Don't even get me onto what my singing voice is like... :roll: