Days

Pretty self-explanatory
Pov

Days

Post by Pov »

I have to say that I am not impressed with most of Kojak Variety. However, the psychedelic cover of "Days" just blows me away. That one alone is worth the $15.00.
Pov

Post by Pov »

Wow, I guess I'm the only one who feels that way :cry:
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

You don't like "Everybody's Crying Mercy"? That one's my favorite.
John

Post by John »

I'm sorry, Pov, but I'm not too keen on Elvis' version of Days. I much prefer Kirsty McColl's version.
I can't believe that Kojak Variety will be the first EC reissue that I will have bought to replace an album originally bought on CD.
I'm currently waiting for the postman to arrive with KV but have been enjoying GCW and AB this week.
It was as much of the alphabet as I knew how to use.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yeah, Amazon screwed up my order. Two titles have shipped, which they claim are Kojak Variety and Goodbye Cruel World, but considering they told me in an e-mail that Kojak Variety had been mysteriously delayed, I suspect they actually sent me Almost Blue and Goodbye Cruel World.

Either way, these are the first three Elvis reissues that I haven't so much as heard the original album from cover to cover, so I'm looking forward to recieving them.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Pouring Water on a Drowning Man is my fave off this album....

'big up' to Ship of Fools on the bonus disc (and Deadicated), and You've got to hide your love away...both great covers!!

Would have liked to have seen 'You really got a hold on me' the Smokey song he does on there though. Has he ever recorded that in the studio?
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

"I've Been Wrong Before" is my favorite off of that album. I dont like that one too much, not many listenable tracks.
warm cellophane

Post by warm cellophane »

the kinks' original "Days" is the only one you need to bother with. brilliant.
Square as hay,
dull as cattle.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Agree, Days ain't great, and despite the musicians involved the whole LP is a bit dull. Some good bonus stuff though. I'd forgotten about Step Inside Love etc. from the Family series, which I really enjoyed at the time, so that's a great rediscovery.

I was very disappointed by Innocent When You Dream. It's classic Waits, and a great illustration of how unique he is as a performer. Elvis just makes it sound dull and ordinary, with none of the emotional power Waits stuffs it with.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
normabuel

Post by normabuel »

In another thread on this board, I wrote that I think Days may be EC's worst cover. But I may be prejudiced, as I don't think the Kinks' version can be improved upon.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Kojak Variety is great- 'Days' is the best thing on it, IMHO. I don't think there is a person who regularly posts on this board who hasn't been inspired by EC to buy something by an artist they were previously unfamiliar with. Kojak Variety, to me, is the ultimate stamp of approval, and has resulted in me getting into the Louvin Brothers, early Randy Newman, Jesse Winchester, and Mose Allison. Although I am a long time Kinks fan, and I love the original of 'Days', I thought Elvis added a different interpretation to it that made a great song even better. POV, we are in total agreement about this gem.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Having just received the reissue yesterday, I am loving the bonus disc. Hearing Elvis sing "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go" makes me really happy.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

pophead2k wrote:I don't think there is a person who regularly posts on this board who hasn't been inspired by EC to buy something by an artist they were previously unfamiliar with.
A truer word has never been spoken!!
normabuel

Post by normabuel »

Certainly, I would probably never have listened to Chet Baker if it weren't for EC. Some artists, like Mingus, I would probably have picked up anyway, but EC's influence didn't hurt.

I am glad some people like EC's rendition of Days, especially if it leads them to buy some Kinks albums, but it isn't to my liking. (If you don't have any Kinks albums, pick up The Ultimate Kinks Collection.)
Last edited by normabuel on Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I like Kojak Variety pretty well. EC's Days was the first version I heard. I like it very much, though I greatly prefer the Kinks original. I think it's a bit like The Marvin Gaye vs. Gladys Knight takes on "Heard it Through The Grapevine" for me. What's not to like either way? (NOT the CCR version however, which utterly sucks).

At this moment, my favorite KV track is "Everybody's Crying Mercy." It's perfect. As a whole the album has a bit too much blues on it for my tastes. I like blues, and I even like Elvis playing Blues, but both only in small doses. Haven't listened to the bonus disc yet, but it's next in the car tomorrow.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I think it's a bit like The Marvin Gaye vs. Gladys Knight takes on "Heard it Through The Grapevine" for me. What's not to like either way? (NOT the CCR version however, which utterly sucks).
Have you heard Smokey Robinson and the Miracles' version....it's ace!