Phil Chevron RIP

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Phil Chevron RIP

Post by johnfoyle »

One of the more obscure items in Elvis' production career is this -

THE CAPTAINS AND THE KINGS/ - Philip Chevron [84; 7"; IMP 002]
FAITHFUL DEPARTED

Besides producing Elvis also played Hammond Organ on `Faithful. Lately Phil has been playing with The Radiators ; a note on their forum tells me the news ( to me , anyway!) that both of these tracks popped up on some Cd compilations in 1995. Both of them seem to be available at decent enough prices via. Amazon.

The details are

`Captains is on

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=music

Life in the Folk Lane
Audio CD (May 24, 1995)

Label: Demon Records
Catalog: #722
ASIN: B000001187

and

'Faithful is on

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=music

Life In The Folk Lane, Vol. 2

Audio CD (December 15, 1995)

Original Release Date: December 15, 1995

Number of Discs: 1
Label: Diablo Records
Catalog: #808

'Captains is a great old Brendan Behan song , beautifully sung by Phil , with a string section .

It's more commonly known as I REMEMBER IN SEPTEMBER in Behans play The Hostage (1958).

Forgive me for inflicting the lyric on you ; I'd forgotten how powerful it is.

I remember in September,
When the final stumps were drawn,
And the shouts of crowds now silent
And the boys to tea were gone.
Let us, oh Lord above us,
Still remember simple things,
When all are dead who love us,
Oh the Captains and the Kings,
When all are dead who love us,
Oh the Captains and the Kings.
Far away in dear old Cyprus,
Or in Kenya�s dusty land,
Where all bear the white man�s burden
In many a strange land.
As we look across our shoulder
In West Belfast the school bell rings,
And we sigh for dear old England,
And the Captains and the Kings.
I wandered in a nightmare
All around Great Windsor Park,
And what did you think I found there
As I stumbled in the dark?
It was an apple half-bitten,
And sweetest of all things,
Five baby teeth had written
Of the Captains and the Kings.
Last edited by johnfoyle on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

May 24th is my birthday.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Bump, bump!
Mikeh

Obscure production

Post by Mikeh »

I used to have a 12" single produced by Elvis, by a group called Big Heat, and the song was called Watch Me Catch Fire. That was pretty obscure, as I have not heard anything else by that band. This would have been in the early to mid-80's.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

That Big Heat single should have been a big hit. Unfortunately around the time it was released someone set himself on fire at a football game, or something like that, which meant the single disappeared from playlists immediately. Must dig out my copy and give it a spin.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

wehitandrun wrote:May 24th is my birthday.
Too bad you're banned now. Oh well.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Oddly enough, that is Doc's birthday as well. :o
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A Pogues forum has been discussing the 'Captain & The Kings ' single ; Phil Chevron made these comments -

http://www.pogues.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2498

I think Behan wrote the music or adapted it from a folk source. This, at least, is the assumption myself and Elvis made at the time, though I confess I do not actually know the tune from anywhere else. My version has a small string orchestra under the baton of David Bedford, who wrote the new orchestration especially for me.

Behan claimed to have written the song in 5 minutes at the barrel of his publisher's gun! It is sung by the character Monsewer in the play THE HOSTAGE.

This track and its B side Faithful Departed are also available individually on the CDS Life In The Folk Lane Vols 1 & 2 though I couldn't say if these are still in catalogue or not.

Elvis and I recorded these tracks in London in July 1983, so they pre-date his involvement with The Pogues as a band by some months.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Phil added this note today

http://www.pogues.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2498
Declanologists may want to know that as well as producing (with Colin Fairley) Elvis plays Hammond Organ, Spanish Guitar, Piano and Bass on "Faithful Departed". That is, he plays everything except rhythm acoustic and tambourine (both me). The Rainfall ("by Big G" as Elvis's sleeve credits claim) was real: I sang the song in one take under the studio's conservatory roof as a July rainstorm pounded down.

The nature of the summer rain meant that there was only a small window of opportunity to get the take - that is, it had to be done in a single take, vocal repairs were not possible. This is very evident to me on at least one of the choruses when I slip into the key of Z Minor momentarily. But hey! I suffered for my art, why shouldn't you??
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Thanks John.

Declanologists - I like that.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I recently got a vinyl copy of ‘Father’s Lying Dead On The Ironing Board’ by Agnes Bernelle , as produced by Phil in 1984/5. I remember not making any kind of connection with it when I heard a few tracks from it at the time. However , my musical tastes having developed somewhat since ( along with living a bit of life, if you know what I mean) it now sounds great. Right now my favourite track is The Hurdy-Gurdy , a slow-paced , semi-recital of a song.

Back in '85 the album's executive producer Elvis Costello had a such a high profile that the release warranted a cover and a two page spread from the NME. That feature dosen't appear to be on the 'net so I've scanned it and now post it for your delectation.

Incidentally the album appears to have received a CD release on the Diabolo label in 1995 , Amazon US have a few second hand copies going at a reasonable enough price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000 ... F8&s=music

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

( When I posted this on a Pogues forum , Phil Chevron responded-

http://www.pogues.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=227

God, I miss her.

Photo location, btw, is the infamous Devonshire Arms pub in Kentish Town Rd. I believe it's a goth hangout now. Back then, they went for the less salubrious drinker.
)

( The '....' at the end of some paragraphs and in some quotes is not a edit by me ; it's in the original text - J.F.)

The New Musical Express , 11th May 1985

ROVERS RETURN

The strangest LP of the year? ‘Father’s Lying Dead On The Ironing Board’ by Agnes Bernelle brings a lost generation of Berlin cabaret artists back to life for British ears today. Producer Philip Chevron says so; IMP record boss Elvis Costello says so. Mat Snow sings the ballad of Johnny, Vicky and Ruth. Schnapps by Derek Ridgers.

HELLO. MAT? It’s Albert.â€
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

johnfoyle wrote: There’s no ideological blanket thrown over everything, that’s why I can afford to sign my press releases to the BBC or something El Presidente or the Pope of Pop, simply because it’s sarcastic.
Yes I've still got this copy of NME "somewhere" around the house, as you might have guessed from my choice of name. 8)

I've got the Philip Chevron and Big Heat singles too. All top-notch stuff. What a strange era 1985 was. Elvis could not only get away with releasing albums on IMP such as ‘Father’s Lying Dead On The Ironing Board’ without being called a tosser, but he even got front pages for it. I think it was the Beard Years that changed all that.
As Elvis says of IMP: “It’s just there. It’s like a photo-copier or inflatable doll: you just get it out when you need it.
Geez Elvis, I'll know not to leave you alone in a room with a photo-copier! You'll be photcopying inflatable dolls' nether regions as soon as I shut the door, you wicked little thing! :o :wink:
verbal gymnastics

I remember buying this too. Around that time my absolute favourite artists were Paul Weller and Elvis. They both had record labels but the difference was that whilst Paul's was more publicised, it seemed that everything he invested his time with (The Questions, Tracie and the whole Respond thing) did not achieve the success he hoped whereas Elvis was the complete opposite. Elvis managed to have commercial and artistic acclaim.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Thanks for the above link. Never heard about this before. Remarkable album. On first listen, this could very well turn out to be my favourite Elvis side project. Sounds like something Tom Waits would have listened to a lot too.
What this world needs is more silly men.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.pogues.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6804

Jun 20, 2007

Philip Chevron takes medical leave from The Pogues

Philip's Press Release said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the first time since they reunited in December 2001, the Pogues are one man down. Guitarist Philip Chevron, who wrote the band's emigration classic "Thousands Are Sailing", will not be present for the band's upcoming shows in Sweden (August 10), Belgium (August 12), Lichfield (September 9) and their short tour of the West Coast of the USA (October 17 to November 2).

At the beginning of June, Philip, who turned 50 this month, was unexpectedly diagnosed with a strand of "locally advanced" throat cancer which requires immediate medical attention. This decision to suspend his live work has the complete support of the other Pogues who wish him a good and complete recovery. Though it is not yet known when Chevron will return to live work, it is hoped that he will again be available towards the end of this year.

The Pogues have not yet decided whether they will appoint a deputy guitarist for the upcoming shows but it is certain that they are prepared to fulfil their commitments as a seven-piece if necessary. Meanwhile, Philip has plenty of work he can accomplish back home in conjunction with his treatment and recovery, not least the box set collection the band will release in October to coincide with its 25th Anniversary. The 4-disc box set, compiled by the Pogues themselves in conjunction with Warner Music/Rhino, will mainly consist of previously unheard and unreleased studio recordings made between 1984 and 1994.

In addition to pulling out of these Pogues dates, Philip's other band, The Radiators from Space, have cancelled their July 6 show at the Voodoo Lounge in Dublin.

http://peteholidai.proboards28.com/inde ... 1182359314

Pete of The Radiators posts -

At the beginning of June, Philip, who turned 50 this month, was
unexpectedly diagnosed with a strand of "locally advanced" throat
cancer which requires immediate medical attention. Though it is not yet known when Chevron will return to live work, it is hoped that he will again be available towards the end of this year. Therefore the
Radiators from Space show scheduled for July 6th in the Voodoo Lounge
will now feature the other band members in a revised show that will
feature some Radiators classics, alongside songs from the new album
Trouble Pilgrim, as well as other material.

We all wish Philip well for his complete recovery.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis Costello/ Phil Chevron

Post by johnfoyle »

A much improved Phil has recently posted -

http://www.pogues.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 4&start=15

Tue Jan 08, 2008
Doktor Avalanche said:
Mr C., until I read the above review, I didn't know you played with Elvis. How often? Live only or recordings as well?

thx

I never played with EC, unless you count the times he deputised as a Pogue (for Shane in Sweden, one gig, and for Andrew, a couple of gigs in Germany, I think) or sat in on a Pogues recording session (which he did with annoying frequency for a while).

In 1983, he produced my solo single "The Captains and the Kings" /' "Faithful Departed" for his own Imp record label. (Come to think of it, he played almost ALL the instruments on "Faithful", to excellent effect!). I then brought a couple of other projects to the label, which were entirely or partly produced by me and financed by him - Agnes Bernelle (for an album and single) and The Men They Couldn't Hang (for an album and two singles). We had other projects planned but then I joined another band I had introduced to him (The Pogues) and that began to take up so much of my time that my involvement with his label just sort of fizzled out.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Phil has been discussing The Men They Couldn't Hang and Elvis' involvement with Imp/Demon in the 1980's -

http://www.pogues.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 05#p133505

Mon Feb 11, 2008 / Tue Feb 12, 2008

(extract)

"Green Fields" was the single I wanted to produce, the one the band wanted to record and the one Elvis C wanted to release. It was the band's obvious showstopper. There was no discussion about whether or not it was their "first" single. From the point of view of Imp Records, who specialized in one-off projects, it was the only single. Though the band went on to do more recording for both Imp and for the parent company, Demon, that was not on the cards when we did "Green Fields", though there was vague talk of an album produced more-or-less equally by myself, Nick Lowe and EC.

But the argument you put forward is much the same one Demon offered. My counter-argument (and EC's) was a great record is a great record, screw how long it is. Fortunately, both John Peel and his listeners agreed with us, which is why the single spent more than a year in the Indie charts.

Imp Records existed mainly to release record projects that Elvis Costello personally liked but recognized would struggle with a mainstream record company, so it was a form of patronage, I suppose. We never had long-term contracts with the artists, just one-off agreements. I doubt it would have bothered Elvis much if one of the acts had then been poached by a major company. In fact, I think he'd have considered that some sort of additional validation. The folks at Demon Records and the Riviera-Global Management company seriously thought Elvis had taken leave of his senses in this period - if he wasn't discussing the making of new albums with elderly War Refugees (Agnes Bernelle), he appeared to be hanging out with that great novelty act The Pogues and even travelling around the world with them.

Elvis's own history indicates that very far from losing his marbles, the extended break he took from 1984 through to 1986 served to recharge and refocus him. He returned with two of his best ever albums - Blood and Chocolate and King Of America in quick succession.
verbal gymnastics

johnfoyle wrote:Phil has been discussing The Men They Couldn't Hang and Elvis' involvement with Imp/Demon in the 1980's -

http://www.pogues.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 05#p133505

Mon Feb 11, 2008 / Tue Feb 12, 2008

(extract)

Elvis's own history indicates that very far from losing his marbles, the extended break he took from 1984 through to 1986 served to recharge and refocus him. He returned with two of his best ever albums - Blood and Chocolate and King Of America in quick succession.
Elvis certainly needed the break in 1984 what with his own personal problems. The shows with the Attractions in October/November were lengthy (great for the fans) but his choice of cover versions reflected his mood. The solo tour in November/December 2004 was great though. The solo format relaxed him.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.pogues.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 58#p189358

Phil Chevron
post -

Re: R.I.P.s

New post Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:04 pm

David Bedford (British composer) 74

David orchestrated and conducted my solo version of "The Captains and the Kings" in 1983. My only regret is we did not have the opportunity to work together again. Lovely man.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Captain & The Kings single makes the briefest of appearances ( c. 1.10) in this curio -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoZL2IVw ... ture=share
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

That's Phil Chevron in the stripey jacket to the front ; the bloke in the specs just behind him is Steve Averill , designer of many a Costello album sleeve.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sound-City-Beat ... f_gw_p_t_1

The fourth Radiators studio album Sound City Beat is now set for February 27 release, on Chiswick Records. Guest musicians on the album include Terry Woods, Henry McCullough, Conor Brady and Eamon Carr.

Full track listing follows.

1 Head For The Sun (Brendan 'Brush' Shiels)
2 It's Happened Before, It'll Happen Again (Rory Gallagher)
3 I'm A King Bee (James Moore aka Slim Harpo)
4 6.10 Special (J. Cuddy/M.Bonner/D.Kay)
5 Yes, I Need Someone (Ernie Graham/Davy Lutton/Chris Stewart/Mick Cox)
6 Behind The Painted Screen (Dave Lewis)
7 I'm Gonna Turn My Life Around (Peter Adler)
8 You Got What I Need (Andy Dunne)
9 Gloria (Van Morrison)
10 Dublin (Philip Lynott)
11 The Lady Wrestler (Horslips)
12 Turn Out The Light (Derry Lindsay)
13 Morning Dew (Bonnie Dobson/Tim Rose)
14 That's All Right (Ron Ryan)
15 Never An Everyday Thing (Ben Findon/Peter Shelley)
16 Dr. Crippen's Waiting Room (Robin Crowley/Jimmy Greeley)
17 New Places, Old Faces (Brendan 'Brush' Shiels)
18 You Turn Me On (The Turn-On Song) (Ian Whitcomb)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Now on youTube - in time for Paddys Day!

Phil Chevron - The Captains And The Kings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnAC35jz ... e=youtu.be
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.pogues.com/
Pogues and Radiators from Space guitarist Philip Chevron has revealed that the head & neck cancer for which he received treatment in 2007 and a clean bill of health in April 2012 has in fact returned. In August 2012, Chevron and his doctors noticed a new tumour and this one is in a position whereby treatment is seriously ill-advised and would almost certainly cause Stroke or worse. The cancer is, in short, inoperable and will prove fatal in time, though it is at present impossible to measure life expectancy. Chevron, who was last year part of the releases "The Pogues In Paris" on Polydor and the Radiators' "Sound City Beat" on Chiswick, is currently taking a break from both bands. The Pogues are on a prolonged time out, emerging only in support of matters relating to their 30th anniversary this year, while the Radiators from Space have formed a splinter group, The Trouble Pilgrims, in which Chevron plays no part. In recent times, Chevron has accepted several theatre music commissions, including the Old Vic Theatre in London and Galway's Druid Theatre.

Philip thanks his friends, colleagues, family and management team for their enduring support and hopes to make some notable musical contributions before, as he puts it, the cancer becomes "lethal".
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Sad news.
But have faith, stay strong and don't give up, Phil.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed