Vote for Elvis

Pretty self-explanatory
PlaythingOrPet

Vote for Elvis

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Another Virgin Radio poll. Only one to choose from (Oliver's Army - bleh) but it's our Elvis. Just click on Select.

http://www.virginradio.co.uk/djsshows/s ... rpool.html

And no voting for the Bunnymen or TE, Mr. Westinghouse. :wink:
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Bloody obsession with Scouseland...

Very tempted to go for There She Goes, but OA is the song that got me into Elvis, so it had to be. Would have gone for Treason over OA, much better than Reward, though I do like that too. Treason is just immortal, though.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Olivers Army - No.5 in Mersey radio poll

see
http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=1692168

Fri 18 Jul 2003

3:24pm (UK)
Fab Four Top Mersey Music Poll

By Anthony Barnes, Showbusiness Editor, PA News

The Beatles were unsurprisingly ranked Merseyside’s
greatest musical export today in a poll of rock fans.

They voted the Fab Four’s double a-side Strawberry
Fields Forever/Penny Lane as the greatest single to
come out of Liverpool in a poll of more than 4,000
Virgin Radio listeners.

The volume of support for the Beatles meant only a
handful of votes separated many of the other tracks,
with The La’s scraping into second place with their
only hit, There She Goes.

Third place went to Echo And The Bunnymen for Killing
Moon.

Bunnymen frontman Ian McCulloch said: “It is amazing
still to be going after 25 years and incredible to
think that people are still listening to our songs
after all this time.”

McCulloch’s collaborators in seminal Liverpool group
The Crucial Three – Julian Cope and Pete Wylie – also
make it into the list.

Wylie’s band Wah! are at number nine with Story of the
Blues, while Cope’s Teardrop Explodes are at ten with
Reward.

The most recent track in the list is last year’s
Dreaming Of you by The Coral.

Virgin’s Pete & Geoff Breakfast Show is looking at the
biggest bands from major UK cities with listeners able
to vote for one single from each act.

Show host Pete Mitchell said: “Liverpool seems to
provide a definitive artist for every era, each time
pushing music and the boundaries of pop forward.

Top ten:

1. The Beatles – Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane

2. The La’s – There She Goes

3. Echo and the Bunnymen – Killing Moon

4. Frankie Goes To Hollywood – Relax

5. Elvis Costello – Oliver’s Army

6. The Coral – Dreaming of You

7. Space – Female of the Species

8. The Lightning Seeds – Life of Riley

9. Wah! – Story of the Blues

10. Teardrop Explodes – Reward
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

"Oliver's Army" is also the song that got me into Elvis, and I still love it, even if it is one of his more pop hits (seemingly a UK phenomena, as I had never heard it on the radio here in Canada).

That's pretty sad that "Relax" got higher than Elvis!
Otis Westinghouse

Well Frankie were massive in their day, and a lot of people listening and voting on this will have been teens in that era, so not surprising. Relax and Two Tribes were great singles, very groundbreaking in a number of ways, and still exciting to listen to, so fair dues to them. Amazing how the writing of one stunning song has immortalised The La's forever. By far my favourite Pete Wylie song is the first single (I think!), Better Scream. Just great pop. 7 Minutes To Midnight was great too. Story Of The BLues was camp and overblown. I have a theory that a lot of the people who came along in the post-punk indie era were at their most inspired and brilliant right at the start, and though they did great work later on, it was the first stuff that really sums them up and has stood the test of time. This appliees to Wah!, Teardrops (aforementioned Treason, never near equalled), Orange Juice (all the Postcard singles), Josef K (ditto, though they split after making the one LP), etc.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

5th out of 15 isn't bad. Here's the full blurb from the website. Don't know why the Farm were on there in the first place. Friggin' awful band.

The Beatles classic double A side ‘Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane’ has topped the list of Liverpool’s greatest singles in a poll of nearly 4,000 Virgin Radio listeners. However, despite the clear winner, the sheer quality of the cities output over the years meant voters found it hard to pick between the other classic singles.

Virgin Radio’s Pete & Geoff Breakfast Show looked at the biggest bands from the biggest UK cities in July 2003, and focused on Liverpool for a week. Listeners voted from a list of classic Liverpudlian singles from acts spanning the last forty years.

‘Killing Moon’, Echo and the Bunnymen’s 1984 top ten hit took third place as they enter their 25th year with a UK tour. Bunnymen frontman Ian McCulloch said, “It is amazing still to be going after 25 years and incredible to think that people are still listening to our songs after all this time.” Frankie’s disposable but obviously still influential ‘Relax’ and Elvis Costello’s staple of British radio ‘Olivers Army’ led The Coral’s breakthrough single ‘Dreaming of You’ to complete the top six.

1 THE BEATLES
Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane

2 THE LA'S
There She Goes

3 ECHO AND THE BUNNYMEN
Killing Moon

4 FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD
Relax

5 ELVIS COSTELLO
Olivers Army

6 THE CORAL
Dreaming of You

7 SPACE
Female of the Species

8 THE LIGHTENING SEEDS
Life of Riley

9 THE MIGHTY WAH
Story of the Blues

10 TEARDROP EXPLODES
Reward

11 OMD
Enola Gay

12 THE BOO RADLEYS
Wake Up Boo

13 CAST
Alright

14 THE ICICLE WORKS
Love is a Wonderful Colour

15 THE FARM
Groovy Train

Pete Mitchell, who has been close to the music scene on Merseyside across the last 25 years marvelled at the cities output. “Liverpool seems to provide a definitive artist for every era, each time pushing music and the boundaries of pop forward,” he said. “Aside from the Beatles, the impact of acts such as The La’s, Echo and the Bunnymen and Elvis Costello can clearly be seen in hindsight. This continues today with The Coral bringing a fresh sound to our radio’s and new bands such as The Bandits and The Zutons waiting to break. As much as it pains this Mancunian to say it, Liverpool almost has a perfect pop history.”
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Everyone repeat after me in unison:

"Where the fuck are Gerry & The Pacemakers?"

:lol:
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

"...and where's our Cilla...." :lol: :lol: :lol:
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

I have a Ken Dodd album, and at least 2 of the tracks would have got my vote above the Boo Radleys, The Farm & The Icicle Works.
Where's North from 'ere?
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Ok, that's enough now.
Otis Westinghouse

PlaythingOrPet wrote:As much as it pains this Mancunian to say it, Liverpool almost has a perfect pop history.”
Fucking hell! What is it about Scousers that makes them so totally obsessed with hating Mancs? Do you ever hear it the other way round? I think not! Massive inferiority complex or what?!? And, aside from the obviously Beatles legacy (with Elvis not counting, cos he sounded like a full on Cockney in his 20s), Manc musical history totally overshadows Scouse, just like with football (in the last 20 years, anyway).

So there!

Bizarre to see Groovy Train in there, when everyone knows the only decent record The Farm put out was Altogether Now, and that was mainly cos it ripped off the chords from Pachelbel's Canon.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Wanna fight?!

Obviously you've never lived up there, Otis (what am I thinking?! You're a Man U fan!! Of course you haven't). I'd like you to reinforce your argument with hard facts, laddie.

I'm sure people are out just to piss me off today.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

......in your Liverpool slums.....
Otis Westinghouse

Well it was that geezer they quoted that got me going. Sorry, PetBunny, not out to get you, and no, I don't wanna fight (unless you back down), and the hard facts are there for all to see. If you look at L'pool vs. Manchester from 1980 to now, Manchester wins on both footie and music counts. Liverpool can't measure up to the legacy of hugely influential bands like Joy Div/New Ord, Smiths, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Fall, etc. Nor the cultural significance of Factory as a whole.

You'll enjoy this, though, found myself on Saturday night with three Manc lads, all City fans. So of course I did the honourable thing and said 'Well I come from Jersey, so I'm a United fan!'