A Day on the Green- a series of Elvis Costello Winery shows

Pretty self-explanatory
Tim(e)

A Day on the Green- a series of Elvis Costello Winery shows

Post by Tim(e) »

For any Australian members, EC will be doing a series of concerts at wineries in November accompanied by support acts including Stephen Cummings (Sports), Joe Camilleri (Black Sorrows and Jo Jo Zep and the Falcons), Diesel, and Mick Thomas (Weddings, Parties and Anything).

Tickets go on sale August the 14th, but there is an early bird offer at Ticketek.

For more information, go to the Day on the Green website.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.frontiertouring.com.au/
http://www.adayonthegreen.com.au/

Complete Australian tour dates, including Hobart,
Darwin & "A Day on the Green"

2004-11-20: Hunter Valley, Bimbagen Estate Concert, "A
Day on the Green" - with the Imposters
2004-11-21: Canberra, Commonwealth Park Concert, Stage
88, "A Day on the Green" - with the Imposters
2004-11-23: Melbourne, Palais Theatre - with the
Imposters
2004-11-24: Sydney, State Theatre - with the Imposters
2004-11-27: Melbourne, Yarra Vale, Rochford Wines
Concert, "A Day on the Green" - with the Imposters
2004-11-28: Hobart, Moorilla Estate, "A Day on the
Green" - with the Imposters
2004-11-30: Brisbane, QPAC Concert Hall - with the
Imposters
2004-12-02: Darwin - with the Imposters
2004-12-04: Barossa Valley, Peter Lehman Wines, "A Day
on the Green" - with the Imposters
2004-12-05: Perth, King's Park - with the Imposters
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Hey, boo - hopefully there's a date there that you can make. And some of those won't require you to drink wine! :)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Hunter Valley would be the closest, and the support acts are good (The Black Sorrows, Diesel, Michael Thomas, Stephen Cummings...), but tickets at this point are $AUS285... So, no way Jose.

I shared a place once with Michael Thomas and his girlfriend, and two others, around the time of his band's hit, Father's Day. He took quite an interest in my record collection.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

bambooneedle wrote:Hunter Valley would be the closest, and the support acts are good (The Black Sorrows, Diesel, Michael Thomas, Stephen Cummings...), but tickets at this point are $AUS285... So, no way Jose.
Actually, I contacted the company promoting this (Roundhouse Entertainment) and was informed that regular admission tickets (unreserved) were $154, which when you consider the line up supporting EC and the Imposters, and the location, is not too bad I suppose.

I notice on John's tour itinerary above, there is a State Theatre show as well, which I would assume will be a lot less expensive.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I hadn't noticed the State Theatre one... It's settled then - that's where I'm going. A class venue and a more intimate show. I'd say they'll play more of the new stuff there. It was hard to get pricing info for the winery gigs on my searches. This is what I'd found: http://www.showbiz.com.au/SelectSeason. ... AYELVISHUN Also, a correction: it's not the Black Sorrows, but just their bandleader Joe Camilleri (he of Jo Jo Zep and The Falcons and So Young).
katoomba

Post by katoomba »

Sydney, bring it on Elv.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Just love this misprint -

http://www.moorilla.com.au/moorilla.php ... esult=true

ELVIS COSTELLO AT MOORILLA for A Day On The Green series 28th November

Elvis Costello is returning to Australia in November for the first of the new seasons A Day On The Green events.

The tour will take in wineries in the Hunter Valley (NSW), Canberra (ACT) Yarra Valley (Vic), Hobart (Tas), Barossa Valley (SA) and Perth (WA).

Costello will also be promoting his forthcoming album 'The Delivery Man'.

'The Delivery Man' features guest appearances from Lucinda Williams and Emmylou Harris. It will be released in September. He is also working on 'Oil Sogno', an orchestral work being recorded with the London Symphony Orchestra.

Supporting acts are well known Australian personalities Stephen Cummings and Mick Thomas.

Tickets go on sales August 13 at $99 + booking fee at Ticketmaster7.
E*C*RIDER

Post by E*C*RIDER »

johnfoyle wrote:Just love this misprint -

. . . He is also working on 'Oil Sogno', an orchestral work . . .
i believe that translates as 'wet dream'. Si? :roll:
"...i feel almost possessed,
so long as i don't lose this glorious distress..."
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

johnfoyle wrote:Just love this misprint -

He is also working on 'Oil Sogno'
Midnight Oil Sogno, anyone? That's where Elvis shaves his head to the accompaniment of catchy classical riffs.

$154? For general admission? Oy. Though I could probably sneak my kids in for free as they are only just 12. For that money I wish I'd bought the Platinum Package after all!
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

I signed up a while back at the A Day on the Green website and as a result was sent an email offering an early bird rate of 15% discount which I took advantage of yesterday (signees could purchase this week before they go on sale officially next week).

Oh, and it turns out that the $154 was for the special enclosed seating at the front of the stage (there were also $284 tickets that included a meal and all the alchohol you could drink)... there are also the regular "cheap suits brigade" area tickets which are (with the aforementioned discount and including booking/transaction fees) $75 each. If you want to get tickets at this cheaper rate, call Ticketek in Sydney on 9266 4800, site the early bird discount offer (saying you received an email) and mentioned the special password "Chardonnay". The offer expires on Friday.

I only found this out yesterday, otherwise I would have posted earlier.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Tickets go on sale August the 14th
According to http://www.frontiertouring.com.au/ tickets go on sale on Friday the 13th (ooooh). Don't click on 'Elvis Costello' on the left unless you turn down your speakers.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

I was at Sydney's State Theatre a few minutes ago (lunch time) picking up my Bimbagen Estate tickets and asked what the theatre concert tickets were going for... cheapest seats are something in the order of $89 and there are more expensive at $118 (I think it was).

With just one support act (Steve Cummings) at the State Theatre concert, it certainly looks like the Bimbagen Estate deal is far better at $75 (including associated charges) and with four support acts (including Cummings).
johnfoyle

Re: A Day on the Green- a series of Elvis Costello Winery shows

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 75,00.html

December 06, 2008

Some of Australia's best-known winemakers are ripping out vines to make room for rock fans who prefer their music in the open air.

Iain Shedden
reports

(extract)

There's no denying that an enclosed paddock where the selling of the local produce is part of the exercise can look a bit messy by dusk. I've witnessed a few such wine-athons at days on the vines, when the term "last day on earth" better represented the mindset and intentions of the gathered multitude. In particular, one recalls a bemused Elvis Costello looking on as two well-dressed, seemingly respectable middle-aged women re-enacted Kostya Tszyu's most recent encounter in front of the stage. The moment cried out for Costello's cover of Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down or even I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down, but neither was forthcoming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kostya_Tszyu