Lincoln Center Second Night

Pretty self-explanatory
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

SweetPear wrote: Speaking of Steve.....I'm sure one of you guys can tell me, what was he playing or doing with his hands on several of the earlier songs? It looked like he was waving his hand (or hands) back and forth in the air over the keyboard manipulating the sound in some way. Was that a synthesizer or something? I WAS SITTING SO FAR BACK I COULDN'T TELL!!!!!!
This has got to be the one question that is asked the most on this forum. I think everytime Elvis tours, at least three people post asking about the theremin :lol:
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
lovesickoflove

Post by lovesickoflove »

Poppet wrote:which one of those songs near the end was 'Needle Time' - is that from the new album?
the realllly long one - sometimes i feel like committing a crime - that one. -lsol
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

John O reports to listserv -

I had a long report written, but I lost it. In the
meantime, here's the setlist. Suffice to say the new
songs are awesome and the ECCON and post-stalk were
quite fun.

8:10
Hope Youre Happy Now
Tear Off Your Own Head (theramin)
Waiting For The End Of The World
You Belong To Me
Radio Radio
The Name Of This Thing is Not Love-nice keys
Bedlam- very rhythmic!!!!
The Delivery Man-cool & bluesy
Country Darkness-nice ballad
Chelsea
Honey are You Straight
Nothing Clings Like Ivy
Monkey To Man-swamp rock
Indoor Fireworks
Heart-Shaped Bruise-lovely ballad
DDTM
Sweet Dreams!!!!
There's A Story In Your Voice
pounding rocker
The Judgement!!!!
I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
MOOT
Either Side Of The Same Town
High Fidelity
Shotgun!!!
Uncomplicated
9:45

Encore 1-9:47
Button My Lip - psychedelic rocker!!!
Needle Time - fast/slow blues!!!!!!! Fave new song
10:05

Encore 2 10:07
Scarlet Tide
10:10

Encore 3 10:12
Love That Burns-awesome straight blues!!!!
Beyond Belief!!! Davey vox
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
Pump It Up
10:30
legman open to offers

Post by legman open to offers »

Damn nice setlist. Love it when he does Man Out of Time.
Now I'm the invisible man, and you can't see me.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I really liked a lot of the new songs but since I couldnt really understand any of the words, I cant remember which was which! Which song was it that he mentioned Lucinda Williams? I liked that one a lot. Though now I wish he was singing it on the album.

For the first few songs Miss BA and I were up there within 10 feet of him and it was like a dream come true to see the spit go flying. Lots of spit those first few songs. Then security made everybody go back to their seats and after that I couldnt see the spit anymore. :(

Still good though. I thought it was funny that he was wearing shades. Indoors. And at night. Excellent.
Pov

Post by Pov »

pip_52 wrote: For the first few songs Miss BA and I were up there within 10 feet of him and it was like a dream come true to see the spit go flying. Lots of spit those first few songs. Then security made everybody go back to their seats and after that I couldnt see the spit anymore. :(
But did you get any spit on you? If you did, are you going to wash it off?
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Pov wrote:But did you get any spit on you? If you did, are you going to wash it off?
Are you kidding? I'm never washing this eyebrow again...let alone tweezing it!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

At least two people mention that they couldn't hear the words. Was the sound quality poor?
signed with love and vicious kisses
elvicos01

Post by elvicos01 »

Show was exceptional, but the sound quality wasn't as good as I thought it would be either.

1st time hearing the new songs, I really enjoyed 'The Name of This Thing is Not Love', 'The Delivery Man' and 'There's a Story in Your Voice'. Unlike most, I thought 'Needle Time' was too long, seemed like almost 8-9 minutes.

This show reminded me of the shows at the Beacon Theatre in August 1995, lots of new material (almost half the songs from the setlist have not yet been released). The one thing I have enjoyed about seeing Elvis on a tour (as opposed to last nights stand alone show) is how much he improvises in songs, or even changes them. 'Sweet Dreams' was great, as was 'Moods for Moderns/Shotgun'. I thought some of the old classics where same old same old, like Pump it Up (Liked it better on Live by Request and @ House of Blues). I guess, Steve, Pete and Elvis could play those like this in their sleep.

For a New York crowd, though it was very subdued. Usaully its constant 'heckling' between songs, did not notice that. I didn't even here a 'Diana' cat call all night.

All in all a very enjoyable night.
Why are we racing to be so old?
Sour Milk Cow

Post by Sour Milk Cow »

elvicos01 wrote:Show was exceptional, but the sound quality wasn't as good as I thought it would be either.
During the first few songs, the bass was so strong that I could feel it in my chest. I only really noticed the sound was weak when it came to the new songs and I was trying to make out the lyrics. It was sort of frustrating, but it's always hard with songs you haven't heard before. And at least it gives me another reason to look forward to hearing the record, so I can finally figure out what the heck he's saying!

It was actually sort of comical when he played the Hora Decubitus song on Tuesday evening, because he gave this long introduction where he explained that he wrote the lyrics in September 2001 in New York, and that these were the only words that would come to him. Then, when he began the song, it was really fast and the words came so quickly that you couldn't understand any of them! Fortunately, there IS a point in the song where it slows down and you can make out what the words are, but I thought it was kind of funny at first.
Pov

Post by Pov »

The accousticsat Lincoln Center are notoriously bad. In fact, a few months ago the New York Philharmonic tried moving to Carnegie Hall and that was one of the reasons.
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

I forgot to mention that Elvis did his own introduction at the start. The lights went down, and then you could hear his voice over the PA with the usual stuff about recording devices and flash cameras being prohibited, and he said something like "please turn off the sound on your cell phones and pagers, because you won't be able to hear them anyway. Please welcome Lost Highway recording artists Elvos Costello and the Imposters."
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

The Great Pumpkin, where are you ?!!
Any mp3's from the second night at Lincoln Center ? :D
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

e
BlueChair wrote:
SweetPear wrote: Speaking of Steve.....I'm sure one of you guys can tell me, what was he playing or doing with his hands on several of the earlier songs? It looked like he was waving his hand (or hands) back and forth in the air over the keyboard manipulating the sound in some way. Was that a synthesizer or something? I WAS SITTING SO FAR BACK I COULDN'T TELL!!!!!!
This has got to be the one question that is asked the most on this forum. I think everytime Elvis tours, at least three people post asking about the theremin :lol:
I swear, Blue, I didn't have an inkling as to what Steve was doing! I think I would have recalled that information if I had come across it before......but I'm also not as faithful to the forum as I used to be. :shock:

Thank you, HungUp, for explaining it once again. I have actually heard of a theremin......but still hadn't a clue as to how it was used.
I'm not angry anymore....
banshee

Post by banshee »

Sour Milk Cow wrote:

It was actually sort of comical when he played the Hora Decubitus song on Tuesday evening, because he gave this long introduction where he explained that he wrote the lyrics in September 2001 in New York, and that these were the only words that would come to him. Then, when he began the song, it was really fast and the words came so quickly that you couldn't understand any of them! Fortunately, there IS a point in the song where it slows down and you can make out what the words are, but I thought it was kind of funny at first.

I had the same reaction - it seemed odd to have this lengthy explanatory intro and then I couldn't understand a word until it slowed down -- I think the slow part went “I said it once [or was it "before"?] and I’ll say it again….life is a beautiful thing....life is a beautiful thing...life is a beautiful thing...”
migdd

Post by migdd »

Wanna buy a theremin? Go here. . .
http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Theremins--2712