Reissues Information

Pretty self-explanatory
verbal gymnastics

Reissues Information

Post by verbal gymnastics »

As we are all looking forward to the Glorious Day, I've been looking round for the cheapest prices for the reissues. The best I've found so far is £10.99 from http://www.play.com which includes p+p.

I've used them quite a few times before and they are really good in my experience*. My copies are on order...

* I do not work for play.com, I do not sanction play.com, I am not in any kind of debt to play.com, I do not owe them the head of any children I may have, and your home may be at risk if you do not keep up the repayments.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

I too have used play.com and overall they're excellent. They sent me a wrong cd once, but that might have been my fault, and when another cd failed to turn up after a month, they sent me another, no quibbles at all. They appear to be based in Jersey, takes 7 days to get to Dublin.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

so the bright thing to do is, since i'm in the US, to order them from amazon.uk? since, they're not listed at amazon.com for purchase, and play.com doesn't ship international.

anybody have any other better ideas for acquisition? 'cause i need to acquire these. ASAP. :)
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Play is good. I remember when they were just a tiny little CD supplier, you could order on the Friday and get your stuff on the Monday. Now they have enough money to advertise on the front of the Independent and TV.

Poppet - yes. The best option is probably amazon.co.uk. Remember you've got the extra P+P on top of the CD price and the extra few days delivery.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'd just wait the extra couple of weeks for it to get released in North America....

With shipping and taxes and all that stuff you're going to end up paying through the roof to order CD's from the UK to the US.
norman brain

Post by norman brain »

I got my new issue of ICE in the mail today with an article called "Elvis Costello Gets Happy Again." It gives indepth descriptions of the new bonus tracks for all three reissues. To quote: "Among the unreleased gems are brisk, harder-rocking alternate takes of "Human Touch" (bearing a more pronounced ska rhythm) ,"Temptation," "Motel Matches," "B Movie," and "Girls Talk" committed to tape before the Memphis soul influences kicked in. **these are the ARMED FORCES-style arrangements I've heard on boots!!**, "5ive Gears in Reverse" delivered as a blistering blues, solo acoustic "Men Called Uncle," and check this out- a British-invasion style gallop through "Watch Your Step," a bouncy Motown-flavored "From A Whisper to a Scream" (sans Glen Tilbrook) a menacing "High Fidelity" (the slow killer version!!!), the slower gospel-tinged "I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down'' (the original Sam and Dave arrangement) and an oddball demo called "Seven O'Clock" (this one I've never heard of) but was apparently written for Dr. Feelgood.

The article goes on to say that the PUNCH THE CLOCK songs in demo form are revelatory with differing lyrics and stripped-down from Langer/Winstanley's slick production. Can't wait!!

I'm also highly anticipating STUDIO recordings of the Mersey-style "Everyday I write the Book" and STUDIO solo acoustic "The World and His Wife" (the Rykodisc versions were live on both of these).

The American release date is September 9. Blue, my wallet says to listen to you, but my impatience will probably win out!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Norm-- God I don't which I'm anticipating more, those reissues or NORTH... cause they're 3 of my faves. If you decide to order them from the UK, tell me what the best deal you find is. How much wpould it cost me to get NORTH that way, I wonder??

Signe--
Impatient Mug
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Thanks Norm. I wonder if any studio/(good quality) live versions exist of Idle Hands (forerunner to Temptation). The copy I've got is not particularly good. Anybody got any info?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
lipstickvogue

Post by lipstickvogue »

Poppet (et al) I ordered the next 3 from amazon.uk and, after s/h to the us and all, the total came to about 36. GPS (or about $62.50). In my mind that is worth having it a few weeks early (or months given the way EC has been put off for release in the US) but that is up to you. BTW, I have ordered from amazon.uk previously and not had any sort of problem. ... Now, if only I could get North early. :)
it's always another day after twelve o'clock's struck
norman brain

Post by norman brain »

Hey, Verbal. I've only heard audience-tape quality live versions of "Idle Hands." Maybe he had changed it to "Temptation" by the time they brought it to the studio.

I'll bet EC has soundboard versions of all this stuff, if he ever gets around to that elusive live box set.