wolf trap 2

Pretty self-explanatory
girl out of time

wolf trap 2

Post by girl out of time »

reading this i came to the following conclusion: WHAT A MORONIC EXCUSE OF A WRITER....THEN AGAIN SHE´S A CRITIC! WHAT ELSE CAN YOU EXPECT?

Investigative Reporting: The Wolftrap Review Files
{CostelloNews.com has uncovered the unpublished original review written by Kate Malay before her editors modified her work. We reprint it here in the interest of journalistic integrity.}

VIENNA - Geez, Chris Robinson is cute. When I was in high-school I always loved him. Me and my friends used to get some guy at the 7-11 to buy us beers and go down behind the mall and 'rock-out' to The Black Crowes.

Tonight Chris is playing solo - all true artists make the jump to solo - and I was lucky enough to see him. He's so cute. He is so talented. I love his hair. I know I shouldn't hate Kate Hudson, but I sort-of do.

Chris put on a spectactular, deep, soulful, and really meaningful show (I think he intentionally made eye contact with me - twice!). I met him and he is even more deamy up close. I met him - can you believe it - he was SO nice.

After Chris they let Elvis Costello play some songs. I saw him before in that Austin Powers movie but other than that I didn't know who he was. I was immediately bored. He isn't nearly as cute as Chris Robinson. His songs all sound the same. And I'm not sure they're really about anything. Surprisingly, the only one who shared my view was a three-year-old. Everyone else in the audience stared adoringly, yelled out 'We Love You,' and gave him enthusiastic applause after every song. I don't get it.

Posted by Post Master at 11:08 AM | Comments (0)
Review: Wolftrap
Elvis Costello bored audience
by Kate Malay / Fredricksburg.com / The Free Lance-Star

VIENNA--Everyone had something to say except Elvis Costello. His Monday night performance at Wolf Trap was, to say the least, understated. Four songs in, the tyke in the row behind me announced, "I'm ready to go to sleep, daddy!"
"Shhh!" the bootlegger with a tape recorder at my side continually spat. (At me.)

Costello performed an eclectic sampler of singles from 1977 to the present, including crowd favorites "Pump It Up," "Shipbuilding" and "Watching the Detectives." But I and many others left unsatisfied.

Costello has one of the most enduring legacies and diverse repertoires in the industry, and yet he did not once address the audience and rarely moved from his hunched stance at the microphone. His is among the most lucid voices ever recorded, but his enunciation and register were both unjustifiably wanting.

He sang, "I Wanna Be Loved," someone shouted, "We love you!" and he didn't even flinch. If I wanted a redundant, plastic performance, I'd play vinyl. There was one real performer that night, at least, in the form of the Black Crowes' lead singer Chris Robinson, who is stealing a few of the shows on Costello's nationwide summer tour. His opening performance was upbeat and soulful, he responded to the crowd, and he showcased his talent brilliantly.

I got to meet Robinson, and he is exceptionally gracious and charming. Worth noting? Yes. He stole the show before the audience even knew it, and it was inevitable that we would be left wanting more from the headliner.

Then came Elvis--and ambivalence. I came in thinking all his songs sounded like something others--from the Clash to Roy Orbison--had already done better. But he has collaborated on duets with everyone in the music industry, he has been around for 25 years, and he did almost sell out the venue.

Maybe I just don't get it.

Posted by Post Master at 10:52 AM | Comments (0)
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
lipstickvogue

Post by lipstickvogue »

kids these days

(she should be drowned in a vat of boiling creamed corn)
it's always another day after twelve o'clock's struck
Watching_Detectives

Post by Watching_Detectives »

Agreed!
It nearly took a mircacle to get you to stay
It only took my little finger to blow you away.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Did she even watch EC? There are no actual song references in her erudite review...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

What, exactly, does this girl use for a brain? Sounds like the only thinking she does is with her panties...and she certainly doesn't have the vocabulary of a bona-fide critic, sounds more like one of those teeny-boppers that OOOOH and AHHHH over bands like Hanson.

:roll:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

In other news:

John Lennon's ashes reconstituted for a ho-hum show last Sunday night at CBGBs. Lennon capped the night off with a tune called "I'm So Tired".

So were we John!!

The song, off of the album "The Beatles", evidently from the bands debut album, received an unexpected smattering of applause.
lipstickvogue

Post by lipstickvogue »

brill cbar
.,, love it!
it's always another day after twelve o'clock's struck