OGWT

Pretty self-explanatory
Otis Westinghouse

OGWT

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Another chance to see the wonderful Robert Wyatt performance of Shipbuilding on The Old Grey Whistle Test selection this evening. It was on in that series of highlights a while back. Very nice indeed. I love seeing his little leg waggle madly as he sings so intensely with his eyes closed. Nice piano too. was Elvis ever on the OGWT, do we know? Maybe he was on tonight's! I left it taping, knowing the Smiths were on. Don't think I've seen that. And there's The Importance Of being Morrissey on C4 on Sunday, and Lloyd Cole's on the Wossie radio show on Saturday (with a new LP to plug).

80s heaven revisited! Absurd the way that decade gets dissed when there so many good things coming out.
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

80s heaven revisited! Absurd the way that decade gets dissed when there so many good things coming
Couldn't agree more Otis. I didn't contribute to the 80's thread, but some of my very favourite albums were made in the 80's. Orange Juice, Win, Bunnymen, The The, Scritti, The Fall, Rip Rig & Panic/Float Up CP, Smiths, ACR, Redskins, Shriekback, The Jam, Specials, Joy Division etc etc etc. Even James were cool in those days.

I copied a load of my 80's Vinyl tracks to CD last year, and made a 2-CD compilation called "The 80's for Groovy F*ckers". I defy anybody not to love it. I'm not one to say "Oh, things were so much better in the 80's" because I don't believe that at all, but the non-mainstream Indie music coming out of the UK at that time was as good as anything produced before or since.

There, I've said my piece.
Where's North from 'ere?
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

I'm soooo looking forward to the Morrissey docu. Isn't it the first tv interview he's done in like, 10 years?
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Re: OGWT

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:... was Elvis ever on the OGWT, do we know?
He was definitely on in 1986, when EC&As played 2 or 3 songs from B&C. EC placed the KoA crown on Andy Kershaw's head as he introduced them!
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Wow I remember that ! Thanks for the memory, I think I have a video somewhere in my mum's loft....
Where's North from 'ere?
martinfoyle

Re: OGWT

Post by martinfoyle »

He was definitely on in 1986, when EC&As played 2 or 3 songs from B&C. EC placed the KoA crown on Andy Kershaw's head as he introduced them![/quote]

The audio of these performances can be found on the Four Eyes One Vision boot cdr.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

I seem to recall that two of them were 'Hope you're Happy' and 'Uncomplicated' - what was the other ?
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Jackson Doofster wrote:I seem to recall that two of them were 'Hope you're Happy' and 'Uncomplicated' - what was the other ?
Leave My Kitten Alone, which he also did a few days previously in Dublin at Self Aid.