Costello biographer Graeme Thomson

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Re: Complicated Shadows - Costello bio

Post by johnfoyle »

I mean for Comp Shads.
Understood. The Elvis bio. is, it seems , a 'been there , done that' project for Graeme. A query about a E.C. item earlier on this year was politely responded to along the lines of ' it's all in a box in the attic and I just haven't the time to dig it out'. He's still a fan , as his review of 'fuku in the Guardian shows.

Elvis is referred to in 'Reno. The first line of the introduction goes, 'Death, wrote Elvis Costello many years ago, wears a big hat. ' The index lists six other references, dealing with River In Reverse, Pump It Up, That Day Is Done , The Birds Will Still Be Singing and Gloomy Sunday. I don't know whether Graeme tried to get an interview with Elvis for this book. Considering Elvis' pointed comments about what surely must have been the '04 bio. in the interview with a New Jersey radio station in Nov. 06. I doubt if any request would have been entertained.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Graeme e-mails -

I’ll be chatting about I Shot a Man in Reno on Soundcheck, WNYC’s
excellent daily music and chat radio show, at 7pm GMT (2pm EST) tomorrow,
Wednesday 19th.

You can find details of the programme at:

www.wnyc.org/shows/soundcheck/episodes/current

The easiest way to tune in is to visit www.WNYC.org at 7 p.m. GMT. The
show will stream live from the “FM 93.9" link on the top left hand side. I
think it’s also syndicated nationwide on NPR. I'll be on for about 20
minutes.

If you miss it, a few hours after the show airs users can either stream or
download an archive of the show (links stay up permanently.) I’ll post the
link for this on the blog later on the day of the show. The segment will
also be included in Soundcheck’s daily podcast, available on iTunes and at
WNYC.org.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/featu ... 4768522.jp

Looking at the death of pop

By Laura Cummings

06 December 2008

AS a 13-year-old boy, Graeme Thomson was blown away by his first music gig. Over two decades later, he still has vivid memories of U2's electrifying performance at Wembley Stadium in 1986.

"I can remember it more than a lot of other gigs," he said. "It was just mind blowing."

Just a year on, Graeme was performing on the music circuit himself in Scotland's Capital, singing and playing guitar. It was the beginning of a career that was to last 16 years and include a variety of bands – the last called Toledo – at venues including the city's Subway and Bannermans.

The 35-year-old father-of-three may no longer play with bands, but his love of music is still central to his career – as a music writer. The Shandon-based author has just had his third book published – a rather quirky tome designed to capture the Christmas market entitled I Shot a Man in Reno: A History of Death by Murder, Suicide, Fire, Flood, Drugs, Disease and General Misadventure, as Related in Popular Song.

The title comes from a Johnny Cash song called Folsom Prison Blues, which includes the lyric 'I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die'.

Graeme explains: "The first kind of inspiration for the book was the realisation that a lot of our first-generation rock stars are getting on a bit – they're into their 60s and some their 70s. I wanted to look at whether that was leading to them being more thoughtful about their own mortality, and whether these themes would come into their work as they got older.

"It's an age where you do either start thinking about immortality or go into denial. The Rolling Stones is a band more into pretending that they're 25-year-olds. They're not into facing up to death in their music, whereas Bob Dylan will talk about these things in his music."

Graeme's second idea for the book stemmed from people's reactions to the inclusion of a death theme in pop music.

He said: "We are a bit taken aback and slightly reticent to embrace it, and I wanted to examine that in more detail.

"Pop music actually deals with death all the time and in a variety of different ways. Gangsta rap is completely fixated with death.

"Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On is actually about how love endures after death."

There are various themes in the book, including the romantic view held by teenagers regarding death, as well as a section on people's thoughts on afterlife.

Graeme took advantage of the many musical contacts he had developed over a ten-year-period working as a freelance journalist.

He interviewed an array of music stars for the book, including Mike Jagger, Sir Paul McCartney, Ice-T and guitarist and songwriter Richard Thompson, as well as Neil Finn from Crowded House and Mike Scott of The Waterboys.

Graeme laughs: "Mick Jagger got quite offended actually because I put it to him that for a 65-year-old man to be jumping about in lycra singing Jumpin' Jack Flash might not be particularly grown up. He got slightly snappy about that.

"He said 'it might not be grown up but it's pop music and it's supposed to be fun and escapist'. I think I struck a slight nerve there."

He added: "It was interesting to see the different angles on death. Mike's (of the Waterboys] got a spiritual take on death and believes it is not the end, but the start of something else."

Graeme also discovered that Sir Paul's inspiration for Beatle's classic Eleanor Rigby came from a "good boy scout role" – encouraged by his father – when he was young.

The song is based on an elderly woman whom Sir Paul used to visit as a youngster.

"Paul went to lonely old ladies' homes as a young boy and helped with shopping and cooking dinner, because he knew they were on their own," Graeme explains. "He got an insight into loneliness and old age by doing that."

With three children – Kat, eight, Louis, four, and Martha, three – Graeme, who is married to Jen, 31, doesn't have much time these days for live gigs. "I can't say I know very much about the music scene in Edinburgh just now – I've not got my finger on the pulse. But my perception has always been that Edinburgh has suffered because of a lack of venues and is second best to Glasgow in terms of bands and music.

"When I played the smaller music circuit in Edinburgh, I found that there were not many places to play, just four or five."

The book is a bit of a departure for the author, whose previous works were biographies on Elvis Costello and American country singer Willie Nelson. It looks at why death is such a recurring theme in music, whether it's pop, rock, rap or emo.

And the answer? "Death strikes right at the very heart of pop music, not just odd tangents," says Graeme. "Death really is in every nook and cranny of every genre of popular music."

• I Shot A Man In Reno is published by Continuum, priced £9.99.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Graeme blogs -

http://ishotamaninrenobook.blogspot.com ... -riff.html

Wednesday, 7 October 2009

An Audience With The Human Riff

I stumbled upon a transcript of my 2005 interview with Keith Richards the other day, and really enjoyed reading back over it. At the time, it put an end to a preposterously convoluted affair. The interview took about 6 months to set up and we had to jump through various completely random and arbitrary legal hoops to get it done, but it eventually happened around 4 am GMT (what I now call Keef Time) in early November, 2005, as I was in the final throes of finishing my book 'Willie Nelson: The Outlaw' .

Keith's thoughts formed the Introduction to that book, and he was such a gent, so insightful and genuine, so funny, so musical, I thought our late night chat was worth sharing in its entirety. Enjoy.

http://ishotamaninrenobook.blogspot.com ... iness.html

extract-

I always have a great time when I see Willie. I’m always waiting for the ‘I’m doing a TV show, do you want to come by?’ I say, ‘How many Frisbees involved, man?’ The last time, I met Merle Haggard via Willie. I’d never met Merle before, which was interesting. It ends up with Merle working with us in a few weeks time in Texas. I’m sitting rehearsing with Willie on the West coast somewhere, I think it was Parsons thing or whatever, and sitting there on the drum riser, and there’s this guy with a baseball cap on – the right way around – and a grey beard and he’s picking like a maniac, and he’s sitting next to me and suddenly I said, ‘Your name’s not Merle?’ Yup! Jesus Christ, what a way to meet.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://musicbooksaroundtheglobe.blogspo ... r-ivy.html

Under the Ivy: The Life & Music of Kate Bush
Graeme Thomson

The first ever in-depth study of Kate Bush’s life and career, Under The Ivy features over 70 unique and revealing new interviews with those who have viewed from up close both the public artist and the private woman: old school friends, early band mates, long-term studio collaborators, former managers, producers, musicians, video directors, dance instructors and record company executives.

ABOUT THE BOOK

Under The Ivy undertakes a full analysis of Bush’s art. From her pre-teen forays into poetry, through scores of unreleased songs.

Every crucial aspect of her music is discussed from her ground-breaking series of albums to her solo live tour.

Her pioneering forays into dance, video, film and performance.

Combining a wealth of new research with rigorous critical scrutiny, Under the Ivy offers a string of fresh insights and perspectives on her unusual upbringing in South London, the blossoming of her talent, her enduring influences and unique working methods, her rejection of live performance, her pioneering use of the studio, her key relationships and her gradual retreat into a semi-mythical privacy.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Graeme Thomson is the author of biographies of Willie Nelson and Elvis Costello and a regular contributor to The Guardian, Observer, the New Statesman, The Word and The Herald.

UK Publisher: Omnibus Press
Publication Date :May 2010
ISBN: 978.1.84772.930.9, OP52932, 384pp, 234x156mm, b/w photos, hardcover, £19.95

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Under-Ivy-Story ... 722&sr=1-7
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

1. Why is it called Under the Ivy? Is it a Bush ref I'm not getting?

2. Why is his surname wrong on the book cover???
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Otis Westinghouse

At first I thought maybe they'd printed it this way and someone was going to be getting it very severely in the neck, but needless to say with it being out in May '10, it's been corrected. I mailed Omnibus and was told 'You can be assured that this error has been noted and will be corrected.' Drat!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Under the Ivy was the b side of Running Up That Hill and is Mrs Solacklustre's fave Bush song. Here is a version from the Tube in 1988 although there are other versions on youtube.

signed with love and vicious kisses
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Grame has been hinting about this for a while and has indulged my guesses (Loretta Lynn etc?) ; he responded to a e-mail I sent this afternoon -

Ah, well spotted Mr Foyle!

BTW, that may or may not be the final cover - it was mocked up for the
Frankfurt Book Fair recently; I think, at least, they are intending to put
MY name on the cover for the proper one, and give 'Graeme Thomas' the
heave-ho...
Otis Westinghouse

Shame on me! I have an extended version of the heavenly Hounds of Love which includes that song. Definite proof that I have more music than is good for me, or haven't listened closely enough. A wonderful song and further evidence of the immense creative peak she hit at that time.
ShipBuilder

Post by ShipBuilder »

I thought this was the most appropriate place for this since she is so heavily mentioned in this book- Complicated Shadows.
His ex Bebe Buell has just released a new album which is getting a lot of media attention and praise. I was shocked when I saw the title-
SUGAR. It is available on Amazon MP3 downloads. Have to admit I just bought it- the song titles were, hum, interesting.
My additional source (I wanted to double check to make sure I read it right) is http://www.bebebuell.org and http://www.boomerocity.com/bebebuellssugar.html
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Just got this from Graeme Thomson -

26 January, 2010

Hi John,

Hope you're well.

wanted to let you know I've started a new blog over at

http://onceuponatimeasong.blogspot.com/

A place for songwriters to discuss their very first forays into composition; from the gory details - title, lyrics, chords, the full pack drill - to less concrete impressions of what they learned from the experience and how they look back at their earliest scribblings, seen through the prism of years of hindsight and experience. The first few entires are now up, and I’ll be adding to them regularly.

Feel free to spread the word far and wide!

Best, G .
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Uncut newsletter
Monday 26th April 2010

(extract)

Uncut,
on sale this week. Our cover story is a brilliant piece by Graeme Thomson on Kate Bush, specifically the making and legacy of Hounds Of Love, how it rescued her commercial career after the wilful daring of The Dreaming and created a sonic landscape, the echoes from which can still be widely heard in 2010.

http://undertheivybook.blogspot.com/
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

johnfoyle wrote:Graeme blogs -

http://ishotamaninrenobook.blogspot.com ... -riff.html

Wednesday, 7 October 2009

An Audience With The Human Riff

I stumbled upon a transcript of my 2005 interview with Keith Richards the other day, and really enjoyed reading back over it. At the time, it put an end to a preposterously convoluted affair. The interview took about 6 months to set up and we had to jump through various completely random and arbitrary legal hoops to get it done, but it eventually happened around 4 am GMT (what I now call Keef Time) in early November, 2005, as I was in the final throes of finishing my book 'Willie Nelson: The Outlaw' .

Keith's thoughts formed the Introduction to that book, and he was such a gent, so insightful and genuine, so funny, so musical, I thought our late night chat was worth sharing in its entirety. Enjoy.

http://ishotamaninrenobook.blogspot.com ... iness.html

extract-

I always have a great time when I see Willie. I’m always waiting for the ‘I’m doing a TV show, do you want to come by?’ I say, ‘How many Frisbees involved, man?’ The last time, I met Merle Haggard via Willie. I’d never met Merle before, which was interesting. It ends up with Merle working with us in a few weeks time in Texas. I’m sitting rehearsing with Willie on the West coast somewhere, I think it was Parsons thing or whatever, and sitting there on the drum riser, and there’s this guy with a baseball cap on – the right way around – and a grey beard and he’s picking like a maniac, and he’s sitting next to me and suddenly I said, ‘Your name’s not Merle?’ Yup! Jesus Christ, what a way to meet.
What a wonderful interview.
johnfoyle

Re: Costello biographer Graeme Thomson

Post by johnfoyle »

Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Would echo Mr. Dylan's sentiment regarding the Richard's interview-never more literate and insightful-have always suspected that rambling, dazed public persona is just that-a 'persona'. That has to be one monstrous pot cloud exhausting from Willie's bus as he motors down the eternal road mixed with the smell of biodiesel. Get high just drafting in the back.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I've just picked up my copy of Graeme's biography of Ms Bush. After 50 pages its looking like a another well written account, lots of neat turns of phrases, the writer artfully giving his opinion etc. I look forward to reading the rest.

This book is making me check out Kate's work. Besides the hit singles I've never listened to her albums. I've just got Hounds Of Love and have dug out a little listened to copy of Aeriel.

Readers of Graeme's blog going with this book may notice that some of the entries have been drawing comments like this -

Anonymous said...

You never spoke to anyone who really is involved or really knows Kate that well did you??... Yes, you may have spoken to Brian and Vic but they have no knowledge of her work these days do they??.... How can you call this a definitive work when you spoke to no one who really knows!!... Someone who spent the last 35 years working closely with her!!.... definitive!!... That's a laugh!!..
1 May 2010 23:22

In reply to this -

Graeme Thomson said...

Hi Del,

As you know, I would have loved to have spoken with you, but you very politely said that wasn't on the cards, which I fully respect. However, I would disagree that your lack of involvement completely negates the validity of the contributions of everybody else who participated, and who were often well-placed to comment of various aspects of Kate Bush's career, whether it be Brian and Vic, who were, after all, half of the original KT Bush Band; or Andrew Powell, or the many, many other people who worked closely and intensely (or sometimes fleetingly) with Kate Bush at different stages of her career, from the early 70s to the noughties.

Ultimately, I suppose, readers and interested parties will make up their own minds about the book and my intentions. I understand any reservations; indeed, I anticipated them.

But let me make clear two things: there is no suggestion that this book is in any way endorsed by Kate Bush. I wouldn't want any reader to be under that misapprehension.

And, having accepted that, I think most people who then choose to read it will recognise it as a serious work: detailed, highly respectful and in no way salacious or mean-minded.

Best Wishes,
Graeme

2 May 2010 07:35

The Del indentified is, presumably, Del Palmer, long time bassist , one time partner of Ms Bush.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del_Palmer

It's ironic to see that while Graeme's Costello book received the co-operation of one bassist, Bruce Thomas, this one seems to have drawn the ire of another! It'll be interesting to see how the Bush/Palmer relationship is explored later in the book.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

My review of this is on Amazon -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Under-Ivy-Story ... 722&sr=1-7

As you may see , I kind of liked it!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

johnfoyle wrote: The Del indentified is, presumably, Del Palmer, long time bassist , one time partner of Ms Bush.
Yes, very definitely that is Del Palmer. Still Ms Bush's bass player - although the progress on her new album is proceeding at her now renowned glacial pace.

I'm fairly sure that he "skipped ahead" and read the bits about him and Kate first.
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://thatnashvillesound.blogspot.com/ ... -hurt.html

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Resurrection Of Johnny Cash: Hurt, Redemption and American Recordings Hits Shelves In May

Jawbone Press has set a May 10, 2011 release date for The Resurrection Of Johnny Cash: Hurt, Redemption and American Recordings, a new paperback by Graeme Thomson. Here is the publisher's description:

In 1992, Johnny Cash was battered and bruised. In constant pain through heart problems, broken bones and the aftermath of a second bout of drug addiction, his career wasn't in much better shape than his body. One of his last singles for CBS, before they dumped him in 1986 after nearly 30 years, had been 'The Chicken In Black' – in the video for which he appeared as a superhero fowl, dressed in cape, yellow shirt and tights.

Cut to a little under two years later, December 1993, Cash is being introduced by Johnny Depp at the Viper Room in LA, with Sean Penn, Juliette Lewis and assorted Red Hot Chilli Peppers in the crowd, cheering, for the full ninety minutes. He had just completed recording his landmark American Recordings with Rick Rubin and would win a Grammy for that and four other American Recordings albums. He played an unforgettable Glastonbury set in 1994 and from thereon, until his death in 2003 (and beyond), Cash was the epitome of hip. Big Daddycool.

What happened?: The Resurrection Of Johnny Cash tells the story of perhaps the most remarkable turnaround in musical history. As well as acknowledging Cash's drug, drink and religious travails in the fifties and sixties, the book digs much deeper, focusing on a lesser known but no less remarkable period of his life: the inglorious fall post-1970 and the almost biblical rebirth in his later years. Homing in on the ten-year period between 1986 and 1995, The Resurrection Of Johnny Cash tells in detail the story of Cash's humiliating fall from grace and his unprecedented revival; his struggle with a cruel variety of illnesses; his ongoing battles with addiction; his search to find direction in his career; his eventual rebirth as both an artist and a man; and his hugely influential legacy.

Author Graeme Thomson is the author of the acclaimed biographies on Elvis Costello: Complicated Shadows, Willie Nelson: The Outlaw (Virgin, 2006), an intimate portrait of Willie Nelson; and most recently Kate Bush: Under The Ivy and is also the author of I Shot A Man In Reno (Continuum 2008), a subjective history of the many different, often unsatisfactory ways popular music has dealt with the issue of mortality.

http://www.amazon.com/Resurrection-John ... 803&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Resurrection-Jo ... =1-1-fkmr1
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Given the author's history with EC, perhaps we'll finally get some insight as to why "Complicated Shadows" was never released (nor presumably recorded) by Johnny Cash. I've often wondered if Johnny ever even heard EC's demo.

Jawbone has really become an intriguing publisher.
the_roofdog

Post by the_roofdog »

I've read both 'Complicated Shadows' and 'I Shot A Man In Reno' but hadn't realised they were by the same guy till this thread! 'Reno' I found very interesting and whizzed through in a weekend: the writing is vastly superior to 'Shadows', which I found very by-the-numbers. Interesting for him to tackle Cash given the amount of material already out there (an autobiography for starters), very different in that respect to Costello and Kate Bush.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

the writing is vastly superior to 'Shadows', which I found very by-the-numbers.
Graeme wasn't happy with many aspects of his Costello book, primarily the publisher of same. Besides lack of editorial back-up , including relying on unpaid proofing by people ( including, er, me!), the book was meant to be presented in a layout highlighting quotes, a format well employed in his Willie Nelson book.

In '08 Graeme wrote this about the Costello biography -

http://www.powells.com/blog/?p=3710#more-3710

(extract)

It's almost exactly four years since I was handed a finished copy of my first book. It happened to be my birthday, which I know, through personal experience, is rarely a good omen. The book looked absolutely wonderful, beautifully bound in hardback with two glossy plate sections. The thrill — and it was a mighty big thrill, let me tell you — lasted around 40 seconds, until, leafing through, I spotted the first typo (one that I had consistently pointed out to my editor and which I'd been promised had been changed. And it had been changed, just not correctly). Immediately, all that elation fizzled into impotent fury. About nine months later, I was sent the paperback copy of the same book, and discovered that the 2,000-word update I had written for the revised edition had been omitted entirely through an act of almost heroic incompetence. Believe me, these are the kinds of things that can spoil forever the anticipation of sending your book out into the world.