"South" ???

Pretty self-explanatory
migdd

Post by migdd »

Highway 49 Revisited.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Back to the migdd's original musings: There's got to be an abundance of unreleased material from between Brutal Youth and now. Considering North alone, he said he'd written 40 of the best songs he'd ever written... North has 11 songs. More recently, on his southern trek, he reveals another 23 new ones... but will the next album have 23 songs? Or only 12?

I say box set.
migdd

Post by migdd »

I wonder if some of the 40 songs written prior to North are amongst the new tunes being rehearsed/recorded for the new album. Elvis probably has loads of unreleased songs, but one has to wonder how much unreleased RECORDED material there really is.

As for the next album, it would be a little perverse of EC to dangle 23 new songs like so many carrots in front of the horse only to release 12 of them! EC seems to like contrast between successive album releases. Since North was so brief at a "mere" 40 minutes, perhaps this next one will clock in with a substantially longer running time.

What I'm really hoping for is a bonus disc of live material or a DVD of someting similar. Pretty mouth-watering musings, eh?
John

Post by John »

I just hope for quality rather than quantity.
The new CD should be edited to just the best tracks.
Any tracks he considers "less good" should be left for b-sides and bonus disk releases.
It was as much of the alphabet as I knew how to use.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

John wrote:Any tracks he considers "less good" should be left for b-sides and bonus disk releases.
He does that anyway doesn't he? There are also loads of original songs that he's been singing since 1999 but whether or not he's already recorded them is another matter. It's interesting that he's chosen to play some of them in recent concerts so I suspect he's revisiting them for inclusion on the new album.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bobster

Post by bobster »

BlueChair wrote:Allen Toussiant is a genius. My favourite story about Mr. Toussaint is how he wrote horn arrangements for a bunch of The Band's songs for the live shows that ended up resulting in The Band's fantastic live album, Rock Of Ages. Apparently all he wanted was a pad of paper, a piano, and a tape of all the songs that they wanted arrangements for.[/i]
Blue -- just wondering if any of these arrangements made their way into "The Last Waltz" -- just watched it on my sister's surround sound system and a couple of those horn arrangements, like "Ophelia", sounded really great.

Toussaint really was (is? Still alive???) a genius....
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Toussaint is still alive.

bob, many of those arrangements are also used on The Last Waltz.

Here are a few excerpts from Rob Bowman's Rock Of Ages liner notes. Slightly different from my original story (I guess I had forgotten bits :D )

"The original idea was for Toussaint to write the arrangements in New Orleans and then fly up to Woodstock where he would spend some time hanging out with the group and discussing his concepts before they all headed into New York City for rehearsals with the horn section. Such was not to be. After dutifully penning parts for the eleven songs Robbie had selected, catastrophe struck at the airport. A fellow traveler, clearly owning a bag very similar to Toussaint's, picked up the wrong valise and inadvertently absconded with the arrangements Toussaint had so carefully worked out.

Unbelievably, Toussaint took it all in stride. 'At the moment it seemed catastrophic,' he confesssed, ' but I thought whenever something like this happens, you just whistle a happy tune and get started. I'm [actually] glad it did happen because what was written in Woodstock was better than anything I could have come up with at home. More appropriate at least. The arrangements were different when I wrote them in Woodstock. I felt so fresh and so much better about it after getting there and seeing the guys and being in that environment. I shouldn't have written anything at home in the first place. [Woodstock] is where I should have been to do what I did. God always knows best."

"Years ago Rick Danko, in conversation with me, recalled with foundness Toussaint's visit to Woodstock: 'It was just such a pleasure to work with Allen and then to have him be so excited about working with us. We asked him, 'What do you want, a piano?' He said, 'No, just a tape recorder and some music sheets, some blank paper.' So we gave him at tape recorder with earphones and he just wrote that off the top of his head. He's a genius."

Highly, highly recommended album.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.