official site -

http://www.islandrecords.com/elviscostello/bio.las

In addition to a short tour of Italy and Portugal in
the spring with Steve Nieve, there are also plans to
return to the recording studio with Costello's
band,'The Imposters', which also features Nieve,
bassist, Davey Farragher and drummer, Pete Thomas. An
album of new Costello compositions will be released in
the Fall of 2004 by the Nashville-based “Lost Highway” imprint.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

This is what being a EC fan is all about....he is so damn prolific... :D
corruptio optimi pessima
Branst

Post by Branst »

We're all really lucky to be getting so much great material in such a short period of time. I wonder if he'll release yet another album in 2005?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Lost Highway! Elvis is really jumping around record labels. I suspect that since Lost Highway will be putting out the new record, that it will have an alt country tinge to it... though the new songs kind of imply that.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

this is why he told them at the ryman he would be back this year: he is going to be on the grand ole opry! elvis is apparently planning to dominate all genres of music, though i'm not certain what genre north was...
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
BrilliantMistake45

Post by BrilliantMistake45 »

This would be wonderful! I really hoped that the next EC album would be with the Imposters. I am in the mood to rock to some new tunes.
I wish that I could push a button
And talk in the past and not the present tense
And watch this hurtin' feeling disappear
Like it was common sense
It was a fine idea at the time
Now it's a brilliant mistake

~Elvis Costello
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I want a Country Impostors album AND a rock Impostors album!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

When I Was Cruel is the Imposters rock album.
Sort of.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Yeah it is, but there's nobody saying that had to be the only one.

With Elvis, I'd be shocked if that was the only one.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I just mean at this point I'd rather a countryish album, a soulful album, or a imperial bedroomish album.... especially since Elvis generally rocks simultaneously with those genres.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Oh, now I see what you mean. Yeah, I definitly agree with you there.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Next EC and the Imposters Album prognosis:

I expect the musical compass to point the opposite of North. Sounds incredibly obvious, but I really think Elvis is going through a midlife Cole Porter crisis and the North sound is a significant part of where he is artistically at this time. However, I will suggest these two reasons anyway:

1. He's already done it. The sound may work for Steve, and Dave is likely very compliant. But Pete needs to have another groundbreaking outing with EC and the Imposters. Recalling Pete's sound on Imperial Bedroom...groundbreaking. Anything remotely remniscent of the North sound will creatively stifle one of the greatest R&R drummers of all time.

North has been brewing inside Elvis since he sat with Count Basie, and regreted that he never made the acquaintances of Miles and the Duke. He considered Miles for the trumpet solo on ShipBuilding, but through an uncanny twist of fate, Chet was around at the time...usually how these associations come together. No master plan...just fortuitous. I am a huge Miles fan, but his muted, modal sound wouldn't have been the right sound for Shipbuilding.

2. His professional association with his wife's music should influence this album in exactly the opposite way than some would expect. I believe that he will keep the association with hsi wifes work completely separate from the Imposters work. Restated, the Diana Krall pendulum will swing completely the other way, and there will be little similarity between the 6 cowritten tunes for Kralls new release and the sound of the upcoming new album.

I do expect the record to have a decidedly countrified flavor, but not in a way that it will be referred to by those incredibly witty and clever musical critics as "Almost Blue Two" . However, anything would be better than the usual convoluted twists on the hackneyed old phrase about "Elvis not being angry anymore" or "the angry young man has matured" or any of that crap.

I hope we hear some mandolin and dobro, some acoustic bass, a wild ride with a Charlie Watts drum kit, and maybe a clarinet. With Elvis occasionally leading on piano while Steve becomes the equivalent of the percussionist to Elvis' backbeat. I know what I mean by that last statement but I don't expect it to make too much sense to those who don't embrace the fact that all life flows from the 49th vibration of the color Orange.

Years ago, REM had 'suffered' radio radio exposure and a sudden burst of media atention and hype. In an attempt to shake things up, the band swithched instruments. Some called it nothing more than gimmickry and more hype to garner additional media attention. I see it as a courageous move that worked to rejuvenate and refresh the sound of the band.

I am not suggesting that Elvis and the Imposters need a new sound. But the legend is legendary for mixing things up and not falling into the cushy comfort and safety of a formula sound. My uneducated view based on a few very circumstantial indicators suggest that this record might be groundbreaking in the same way that Imperial Bedroom rewrote the view that history will have on the prolific art of Elvis Costello. It will defy easy categorization.

I sincerely hope it is something very different from WIWC. I like WIWC, but we already have Act 2 of that record. I hope the new record isn't WIWC Act 3.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Mr. Average wrote:
Recalling Pete's sound on Imperial Bedroom...groundbreaking. Anything remotely remniscent of the North sound will creatively stifle one of the greatest R&R drummers of all time

:lol:
I can picture Pete drumming to North...looking psychotically bored and dangerously underemployed!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

i have a feeling this next album is going to be awesome.....hope it´s the delivery man suite.....there are great songs in there....suspect my tears (among my faves), burnt sugar is so bitter.....CAN´T WAIT!
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
Sour Milk Cow

Post by Sour Milk Cow »

I think (and hope) that the new album will be closer to King Of America than Almost Blue. But in truth, I think it will be very different from both of those, with a little bit of a rougher and tougher feel to it. I would cautiously predict that it will be somewhere between KOA and the soulfulness of Get Happy!!

In any case, I predict it will be his best band album since Brutal Youth.
clairequilty

Post by clairequilty »

The alliance with Lost Highway re-enforces the proposition (for me anyway), that he will come through with the promised album of songs recorded in various studios in the southern US.

The ensuing "South" could be a perfect companion piece to the chilled yet cozy offerings on "North".

Then again he might front a country boy band and do a full-on Summer NASCAR tour, possibly popping up at a mall near you. Tiffany used a similar srtategy in the early nineties with only moderate success. But Elvis does have better hair.
Watching_Detectives

Post by Watching_Detectives »

I'll enjoy any Imposters album. I don't care what "genre."
It nearly took a mircacle to get you to stay
It only took my little finger to blow you away.
Uncomplicated

Awesome

Post by Uncomplicated »

This is great news!

Looking forward to something in the country vain. Or Imperial Bedroomish?.....That would be great too.

Here in the states lately....it seems Elvis is everywhere in the media.

I'ts been a long time coming.

Elvis Is King!! Get Happy!!

Unc
It's in your eyes..... It's in your eyes.....
bobster

Post by bobster »

The stars do seem to be in the correct alignment for a slightly countrified, southern fried (though not "Southern Rock" I pray) record.

As those of us already know who've been blessed to see Jackshit (Davey, Pete and some guy who goes by the name Jack Shit who can really play guitar, or should I say 'gitar'), Pete and Davey have a real feeling for this kind of music -- even in the context of what is essentially a high-powered cover/joke band (not, I add vehemently, that there's anything wrong with that!!!!!). Davey in particular is a far more rounded talent than you might gather from his Imposters outings so far -- a really terrific singer, as is Mr. Shit. (Really great harmonies -- go good, in fact, they actually make Pete's singing pleasurable!)

Here's hoping that the new album includes an expanded role for Davey, at least as a back-up singer, and perhaps a guest appearance on gitar by the Fecal One.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

If it can't top When I Was Cruel I'll be a tad disappointed. Elvis is so much better than that album.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I hope it's more of a band-oriented album than an electronic toy oriented album. I have a feeling it will be more band-oriented than WIWC though. The fact that it's on Lost Highway and has been recorded in the deep south implies a certain rawness.
Watching_Detectives

Post by Watching_Detectives »

bobster wrote:(though not "Southern Rock" I pray) record.
If it's "Southern Rock", I'll jump off a bridge.
It nearly took a mircacle to get you to stay
It only took my little finger to blow you away.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Oh please.

You know Elvis better than that.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I can hear him covering Ramblin' Man.

Gimme Two Steps? The South's Gonna Do It Again? Rocky Top? :lol:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Or maybe a cover or snippet of Neil Young's Southern Man - he could really cut loose with that!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?