What´s the Costello record that a new fan must be apart from

Pretty self-explanatory
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I would say NORTH, if for no other reason than that the lyrics work differently than those of any of his other records. It's also different melodically, in that these melodies take some real time to emerge and 'set' in your brain. When they do, they're indelible and gorgeous.

So I would classify NORTH as an advanced-listeners-only record, different from his other work where the melodies are more accessible and the words more complex and chewy. (Like a good red wine. Maybe NORTH is more like champagne...)

PS, Gilli-- that is my fave tune on AB also (which is saying a lot, cause I adore that record, and nearly ruined it with overplay). It's so fucking sad, and beautiful, despite its lightness, no?
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Which EC album would make the best listen for someone new to his work is entirely up to where they are coming from musically.

For example, someone who has a a love of motown/soul would probably feel quite comfortable listening to Get Happy or even Punch the Clock, whereas someone coming from a m.o.r. or classical background would probably feel comfortable with either the Juliet Letters or Painted From Memory... and so on.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Mug, I agree on North. My friend, a newcomer to Elvis, despises North.

DESPITE the fact that he owns an Elvis Costello North shirt.
BrilliantMistake45

Post by BrilliantMistake45 »

I really wouldn't say that For the Stars is an EC record. He basically produced it and wrote the songs, but he didn’t sing much. I'd never start anyone on Goodbye Cruel World or The Juliet Letters.

I would say start them off with This Years Model, When I Was Cruel, or Trust.
I wish that I could push a button
And talk in the past and not the present tense
And watch this hurtin' feeling disappear
Like it was common sense
It was a fine idea at the time
Now it's a brilliant mistake

~Elvis Costello
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Well, I'd start a new Elvis listener on any GCW song besides "I Wanna Be Loved" or "The Only Flame In Town".

"Room With No Number", "Inch By Inch", "the Deportees Club", "Home Truth", all fine songs for Elvis beginners. GCW isn't all that bad.

Hah, I love the quotes by Elvis on the Bright Blue Times site about GCW. In one, he calls it his worst cd, in another he says it's his best.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

BrilliantMistake45 wrote:I really wouldn't say that For the Stars is an EC record. He basically produced it and wrote the songs, but he didn’t sing much.
You make a great point here BM. I cannot understand why For the Stars is regarded as an EC record and is always quoted as his worst album. It's a Von Otter record with EC supporting.

EC did not write all of the songs either. Of the 18 tracks on FTS, he actually wrote 3 and co-wrote 6. So he had no hand in half the songwriting.

FTS is not the ugly monster that many people portray it as. I can understand that many people dislike Von otter's voice because trained operatic vocals are often an accquired taste. However, much could be said of EC. :)

Personally, I think that it's a pretty pleasant record that needs to be played at the right time. 'No Wonder', 'Green Song' and the title track are up there amongst his best songs, but people seem to dismiss them because he's not singing them IMHO.

Anyway....back to the point. Albums to play non-fans?

I'd put together a compilation that demonstrates his versatility, but if I had to choose an album, it would be TYM or AF.
corruptio optimi pessima
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Mr. Jackson, it is what album NOT to play new fans.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

wehitandrun wrote:I love Almost Blue. I think it would be a fine album for a beginner to hear, as long as they know the grounds of which it was recorded.
corruptio optimi pessima
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

wehitandrun wrote:Well, I'd start a new Elvis listener on any GCW song besides "I Wanna Be Loved" or "The Only Flame In Town".
corruptio optimi pessima
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

EC message board rule number 1: Threads do not have rules!
corruptio optimi pessima
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Haha, yes, that was in direct responce to someone choosing those albums as NOT to play to a listener.

You, being the annoying little bafoon you are, just blurted right out what you wanted a nonlistener to hear.

Grow up already.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Yeah, they don't have rules, but they have a thing called "subjects" which I generally try to follow.

I very unconfrontationally let you know what the thread was about, when you said it was the opposite.

Everything with you has to be this big argumental event.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

There you go again....you really must learn to calm down....not sure what happened in your childhood but anal retention need not afflict your whole life.....therapeutic options are available. It is quite alarming that you feel the need to express your point of view on everything from what chord you like best to how many waffles you had for breakfast..... :lol: :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

ooooppss ....sorry....I forgot.....you are still enjoying your childhood... :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

No, whatever just happened has nothing to do with me having to calm down. So don't try and play that card again.

What was the point of making three posts to respond to my one correcting you? To be a complete asshole, obviously.

Keep trying to take personal shots now, good one.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Anyway....back to the point. Albums to play non-fans?

I answered you... you were wrong, get over it.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Ok truce....I forgive you
corruptio optimi pessima
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Is it me, or is this thread based upon and wrapped around a notion that is simply untenable? There are far too many variables to consider when you wish to expose someone to an artist or a sound.
1. The listeners frame of mind on any given day, within any given day, and;
2. The life experience of the listener, and;
3. The musical likes and dislikes of the listener, and;
4. The venue (living room, lights dimmed, a willingly captive audience, and some relaxant lubricants...or, a kid, racing down the highway, hiding beer cans under the seat while shoving a fully-dressed Wendy's baked potato into his mouth (forgot the fork, dammit), and;
5. The enthusiasm and knowledge of the demonstrater. If someone takes the time to explain the "Behind the Music" stories to me, I listen more actively.

There is no right and wrong. There is no black and white. These are all musical cognitive distortions and should lead us to the inevitable conclusion that you play what you like, and if they like it great. If they don't great. It's not worth trying to control the outcome. I love the music of Elvis Costello, but I could really give a damn if my peers like him or not.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Yeah, but it's a fun thread, not a strictly serious one. Nobody should be protested against for saying a new elvis listener shouldn't hear Get Happy!! or something.

The political arguments gotta stop somewhere on this board. This is where I go for a fun thread, where the discussion of ethics and morals won't be brought.

Maybe I was wrong.
clairequilty

Post by clairequilty »

"What´s the Costello record that a new fan must be apart from...?"

Most definitely his 1994 misdemeanor record in Tallahassee Florida for public urination.

But the 10 year anniversary re-issue is promising.