AICN's Harry Knowles reviews "I Love Your Work"

Pretty self-explanatory
InnocentMan

AICN's Harry Knowles reviews "I Love Your Work"

Post by InnocentMan »

As found on the Ain't it Cool News site a review by Harry Knowles - I Love Your work was screened at the SXSW festival. This is his take:

4:15pm - Paramount Theater - I LOVE YOUR WORK - Directed by Adam Goldberg
This is one of those indie films with one of *those* indie casts. I mean - look at this... You have Giovanni Ribisi, Franka Potente, Joshua Jackson, Marisa Coughlan, Nicky Katt, Christina Ricci, Elvis Costello and Vince Vaughn. With a cast like that - you get a packed 1200 people strong theater loaded with folks teeming and talking about... I LOVE YOUR WORK. It's that sort of crazed wrap around the block type of line - that has forced breaks so that entrances to other buildings are not blocked causing Fire Marshall issues. All on a cold rainy soggy day!
It's the sort of energy that can lead to one of those wonderful / amazing / electric screenings... if the film delivers. Unfortunately - though the cast is wonderful - the story really isn't. Though the cinematography is breathtaking the soundtrack is flaccid. While Christina Ricci is glowing and radiant - Giovanni Ribisi is quasi-asleep. There are bright moments in the film, but ultimately I feel the film just doesn't work. Which is a shame, because I quite enjoyed Goldberg's previous feature as director... SCOTCH AND MILK.
This isn't a total disaster - the story has its moments. The idea of a star that is in a disintegrating relationship - imagining stalkers and then stalking one of his own fans... well - it is fun. With a cast like this it is very rare to have a complete misfire - instead you can enjoy the film, I just found myself wishing it was much more than it was.

How dare he! You can find it at http://aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=17186