The Perfect Elvis Song To Sing To A Woman!

Pretty self-explanatory
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

lapinsjolis wrote:I don't know wehitandrun the part about the 'little friend of mine' taking off her party dress isn't too great either. You are left with little more than the chorus.
yeah i know. but you'd be surprised how long i can loop the phrase "my aim is true".

heh, im not gonna sit there singing for 3 minutes anywho. I was thinking of taking a verse from 'the brilliant mistake', it's a tough choice.

<3,
s.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Actually, "Kid About It" is pretty much a straight forward love song (unless I'm missing something) and highly underrated to boot! Maybe too sexy for the workplace, though.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Look, just get down to it and sing "Stay the Night" by Chicago. That's a classic.

I thought it was funny.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Noise, it was funny.

Bobster, I don't know that I'd want someone crooning, "She's telling all of those lies she swore she never told before (but I doubt it)."

I would just steer clear of nearly everything pre-North; except for "My Little Blue Window, it all seems to have some kind of edge, be it wistful, bitter, or worthy of a restraining order. wehitandrun, if you're only planning on singing one line from each song, your serenade project should go a lot more smoothly.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

heh, never said one liiiine.

Yes, Little Blue window, that was one of the other's I had in mind too. Thanks for reminding me.

<3,
s.
bobster

Post by bobster »

miss buenos aires wrote:Bobster, I don't know that I'd want someone crooning, "She's telling all of those lies she swore she never told before (but I doubt it)."
Damn. Forgot that. Leave it to young Elvis to throw a little vinegar into his sweetest creations. Still, that would only be one line to be excised/rewritten unless there are still more I'm forgetting. That last line: "You give me the kiss of my life, I might even live to tell the tale" still makes this pre-"North" EC at his most romantic (or horny).
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

BlondTrophyWife wrote:How about Sweet Pear?

DUH! Of course Sweet Pear! :lol:

(Aside from the words, not really one of my fav EC songs. I very rarely listen to it.)
I'm not angry anymore....
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

But hey, WHAR, it also depends on what kind of love song you're looking for too.
I happened to grab Painted From Memory today. I really love that CD but that's also a hard one to listen to because I can't help but cry through the whole thing.
But if you were looking for, maybe, a more mature love song, you know, regretful or a love that has slipped away.....there are some really, really great ones on PFM. In The Darkest Place just tears my heart out.
"You know I love you so
Let's start again"
:cry:

This House Is Empty Now
"So tell me how am I supposed to live without you?"
:cry: :cry:

And Tears At The Birthday Party....Just the way he sings it....I love when he says "I still adore you".

How about Almost Blue? I cry every time I hear him do it.

Believe me. I'm a girl. I know. :wink:
I sure as heck wouldn't want someone to sing me I Want You!
I thought My Little Blue Window was a good one. I love that song. And 15 Petals.
Still from North.
Bacharach and David's I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself is one of my favorite, favorite songs that EC does. Again, just the way he sings it.
>swooning<
Also not an EC original, I could listen to Elvis sing My Funny Valentine forever and ever. :oops: :cry: :D
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

My Funny Valentine is a really good choice...
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

This is not an Elvis song, but probably the most romantic, spontaneous thing I've ever done was turn the radio down in the car one day, grab my girlfriend's hand and sing "I Will" by the Beatles. She melted...... :P
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Anything by Elvis would do it for me!! :D
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
bobster

Post by bobster »

noiseradio wrote:My Funny Valentine is a really good choice...
One of the greatest love songs ever written -- it's amazing how often it's used as a dedication, ultra-romantic song despite...

"Your looks are laughable, unphotographable...." (okay, so the next words are "though you're my favorite work of art", but still....)
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

But Bosbster, that's the very best part (I suspect you agree) cause most of us have looks that are laughable and unphotographable, no? It's always those uncapturable things that become the most beautiful about a lover... or so I hope, or I am in deep trouble (!) :lol:

I do love the song. We've been through this before but I still prefer Ricki Lee Jones's version to E's, which is saying a lot, cause his is marvelous.
bobster

Post by bobster »

"Is your figure less than Greek?
Is your mouth a little weak?
When you open it to speak, are you smart?"

I still argue it takes a certain amount of guts to actually sing this to a woman...Mainly, you'd have to be careful not to put too much of an edge on any particular quality.

You wouldn't want to sing "Is your figure less than Greek" while, I don't know, pointing at her thighs or something.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

selfmademug wrote:But Bosbster, that's the very best part (I suspect you agree) cause most of us have looks that are laughable and unphotographable, no? It's always those uncapturable things that become the most beautiful about a lover... or so I hope, or I am in deep trouble (!) :lol:
Iv'e seen your photo and there's nothing wrong with your mug either MUG!! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

my little blue window will have to take the cake im thinking. it is so wonderful.

<3,
s.
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

'My Funny Valentine' has the same message as Shakespeare 130 sonnet. Love based not on transitory beauty or unreliable wit but the very core of the woman. It's perfect and any sensible woman would love to hear it. The trouble is finding a sensible woman. .

I like 'Little Blue Window' but it has been suggested that it was written for his wife right before he was lured away by a jazz pianist.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
Man out of Il.

Post by Man out of Il. »

Without a doubt... "Still" But play it for her. Maybe "Pads, Paws and claws" I don't know her.
Man out of Il.

Post by Man out of Il. »

Does anyone know where I can find "Unwanted Number," sung by Elvis?
bobster

Post by bobster »

lapinsjolis wrote:The trouble is finding a sensible woman.
Story of my life! But, seriously, I think most people (men too) really want to hear a. They're incredibly beautiful/handsome and b. But it doesn't really matter because that's not what's important, but that doesn't matter because a. -- repeat indefinitely. :roll:
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

bobster wrote:
You wouldn't want to sing "Is your figure less than Greek" while, I don't know, pointing at her thighs or something.
But that doesn't matter because he goes on to say:

"Don't change a hair for me
Not if you care for me
Stay, Little Valentine
Staaaay...."

He loves her just the way she is. :)
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Lord knows if classical Greek proportion still informed our ideas of feminine beauty we'd all be better off. "Less than Greek" in the Kate Moss sense is a true compliment these days I guess!