Every Day I Write The Book
13%
Pills And Soap
4%

Total votes: 24

bambooneedle

I Can't SUFFD, Accidents WH, Good YFTR, Every DIWTB, P&S

Post by bambooneedle »

Time for another song poll. Again, there's no real logic as to the choice of songs, other than that I didn't think there was an obvious favourite. There is a connection between these songs, however -- that they all appeared on 'The Man -- The best of EC'.

Go.
A rope leash

Something to fill the time

Post by A rope leash »

I have to go with "Everyday I Write the Book", because that's what I do.

If I recall correctly, there are two videos for this song, one featuring royal look-alikes, and another with "three token black girls in it".

I get that quote from Graham Parker's "That Thing is Rockin'", and I've always thought it might be a reference to that video. The verse goes something like this: "The video's on to the limit (?) / Three token black girls in it / Some little creep from England / Thinks that he's Mr. Soul-bender".

Ever heard it?
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Hard choice for me between 'Accidents will happen' and 'I cant stand up'.....but 'Accidents' it has to be!
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Watching_Detectives

Post by Watching_Detectives »

I had to go with...Pills and Soap... :D
It nearly took a mircacle to get you to stay
It only took my little finger to blow you away.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Sorry, but "I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down" would have to be my favorite...kind of my very own "theme song", so to speak...

8)
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Accidents for me, almost made my top ten.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Accidents by miles.
Mr. Misery

Post by Mr. Misery »

Accidents is in a class by itself, brilliant complex lyrics and a timeless melody. I prefer the piano based version culled from the Hollywood High shows of yesteryear found on the Armed Forces reissue, because one can hear every golden word.

Every Day I Write the Book is clear second, I have such a fondness for this simple charming pop classic. The original version was the closest thing he came to a hit single in the states, and I also love the guitar-based rock arrangement on the underrated Goodbye Cruel World extended play. Graham Parker is a talented songwriter but his line about the backup singers (quoted by A Rope Leash) is foolish. They sang on the record and so appeared on the video, there was no tokenism involved.

"A Good Year for the Roses" has a sad and understated beauty, "I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down" is fine but doesn't bear comparison with the amazing eighteen Costello-penned songs on Get Happy!!, and "Pills and Soap" is menacing and unpleasant, and though that may be the point I simply don't care for it.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

I absolutely LOVE E.C.'s "Good Year for the Roses". God love George Jones...

:P
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

accidents...this one ain't gonna be close
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
jack of parades

Post by jack of parades »

Accidents is an undeniably great song, but I think Pills and Soap is one of his greatest songs ever. Influenced by rap- early rap anyway- and containing his most biting, politically direct lyrics, this songs is an amazing one-off of what Elvis can do. All horizons are open to him. I think it is the musical equivalent of Jonathan Swift. But what the hell do I know? The other songs are easier to hum.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I just tried humming Pills And Soap, and it's quite hummable.

Hmm-Hm-Hm .... Hmmmmmm

I recently read the story about how they rushed to record it (almost sure it had to do with Thatcher and The Falklands) and release it as a single immediately (just a few days, from conception to release), and I'm remembering EC's menacing but ironic facial expressions on the 'A Case For Song' version with The Brodskys... if you have this, next time check out how he sings, "we're going to melt them down.."
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

i'm all about can't stand up. it's my favorite cover he ever did and it just always seemed so right for him to coer it. i love the way he does it live and i fully feel it when he sings the "vow that we made..." line.

coming in second is accidents will happen. i always thought that his greatest set would begin with this song "i just don't know where to begin..." commence rocking, and end with i want to vanish.

next is pills and soap. it is indeed hummable i catch myself humming it quite a bit and it has that cool little da dump da dump do do do do do groove going. i read that bit about the recording also. interseting stuff. i really wuold like to hear a funky remix of this song. but then i like remixes. has anyone heard him do this with the brodsky's? it translates very well.

good year for the roses is fourth. it's a heartfelt cover of a sad sad song. someone once told me that elvis's version is a bit uplifting but i don't see how. it's one of those songs that you always cry to when you're really really drunk. "at least you wanted it, that's more than i can say for me." i love the ennunciation and the way he almost sounds casual about the whole thing.

everyday i write the book is dead last. i never really dug the studio version. the live version at least is tolerable. it's not that the song isn't well written it's the whole hit single bullshit politics of the whole deal that turns me off of it. not a good excuse i know but than i'm a little retarded (this coming from the guy who really loves veronica).
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

bambooneedle wrote: I recently read the story about how they rushed to record it (almost sure it had to do with Thatcher and The Falklands) and release it as a single immediately (just a few days, from conception to release) ..."
If I remember it right, Pills & Soap was released during a general election. The BBC were concerned that it might be seen as a 'party political' song, so they didn't play it much on the radio, and didn't want it on Top of the Pops!

However, common sense prevailed, and The Imposter appeared on TotP when the record made it to the Top Twenty (for 1 week?), although I don't think they announced who he really was.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I have enormous respect for wat he did with Pills & Soap, acknowledging the reacent (then) birth od hip hop, especially "The Message" by Grand Master Flash. that EC appreciated the depth of that track when so many others had written rap off as a novelty trend is gratifying to me.

Bur it's Accidents Will Happen, by leaps and bounds for me. One of the most perfect three minutes of pop ever constructed.

And it was in E.T.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
bambooneedle

The Imposter

Post by bambooneedle »

ReadyToHearThe Worst, so he played Pills And Soap solo on TotP... on guitar, or piano? (did search, no mention of piano but thought I'd ask)
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

It was a tight one for the top spot.
Accidents is classic and a really great song.....but I chose I Can't Stand Up.
I love his emotional delivery...as always, it cuts so deeply.
I'm not angry anymore....
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Re: The Imposter

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

bambooneedle wrote:ReadyToHearThe Worst, so he played Pills And Soap solo on TotP... on guitar, or piano? (did search, no mention of piano but thought I'd ask)
I'm pretty sure that he stood alone and mimed, no instruments to be seen (but my memory is no longer what I remember it to have been, so I could be wrong).
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Thanks RTHTW. If his miming and general acting performance on the Chelsea video is anything to go by, it would be a good cack.
lipstickvogue

Post by lipstickvogue »

every other day I would choose a different bubble ... today i vote with can't stand up although accidents is amazinf and pills and soap is such a moving work ... magic eight ball says answer unclear please ask again later :)
it's always another day after twelve o'clock's struck