Elvis Costello Fan Forum's Top 50 Elvis Costello songs!

Pretty self-explanatory
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

At the end of the PLU video, he goes running drunkardly down the hall in tight pants(no socks or shoes!) and a collared short sleeve shirt. he even falls, and his lower back is revealed!

anyway...

<3,
s.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Here's the breakdown by decade and album:

1. Top 50 that were released in 1980s - 27/50 (54%)
2. Top 50 that were released in 1970s - 10/50 (20%)
3. Top 50 that were released in 1990s - 9/50 (18%)
4. Top 50 that were released in 2000s - 1/50 (2%)

1. This Year's Model (incl. Radio Radio) - 6/50 (12%)

2. Get Happy!! - 5/50 (10%)
Imperial Bedroom - 5/50 (10%)
Blood & Chocolate - 5/50 (10%)

3. King Of America - 4/50 (8%)

4. My Aim Is True - 3/50 (6%)
Armed Forces - 3/50 (6%)
Trust - 3/50 (6%)
Mighty Like A Rose - 3/50 (6%)

5. Punch The Clock - 2/50 (4%)
All This Useless Beauty - 2/50 (4%)
Brutal Youth - 2/50 (4%)
Spike - 2/50 (4%)

6. Painted From Memory - 1/50 (2%)
Non-Album Tracks from 1970s (Big Tears) - 1/50 (2%)
Non-Album 80's Track (Hoover Factory) - 1/50 (2%)
Non-Album 90's Track (My Dark Life) - 1/50 (2%)
When I Was Cruel - 1/50 (2%)

As you can see, many albums such as Goodbye Cruel World, North, and The Juliet Letters did not manage to crack the Top 50.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Hell yes, This Year's Model... although I still dont understand the Lipstick Vogue favoritism.

<3,
s.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

It's because Lipstick Vogue is a great great song, highlighting every band member's importance. And it features some of my favorite EC lyrics.

Blue, your math just goes to show, yet again, why TYM is the finest of all EC albums. (*Waiting for the Get Happy, Imperial Bedroom, and King of America people to throw tomatoes*)
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Well, if we just look at the Top 10, Imperial Bedroom wins by having 3 songs up there, while This Year's Model only has 2. :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Technicalities... :wink:
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Agree with Noise - Lipstick Vougue is (along with New Lace Sleeves) one of the best Attractions performances in the studio. The drums and bass are especially amazing 8)
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Agree with Jackso about New Lace Sleeves. Great song.
--William Shakespeare
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

NEW LACE SLEEVES was my number one when I submitted my 15 for BC's poll. I didn't know I'd put it there-- I'm not one to pick a single best song by someone as beloved and prolific as Elvis--but I'm happy with that.

LIPSTICK VOGUE wasn't in my 15, but I'm not sure why, cause I adore it-- good call about it being a great performance by all. Maybe cause I wanted to represent all albums and all moods (funny how a vote of 15 faves was different from what I'd vote for as the 15 best). But it's just an unrelenting song that takes you on an amazing and unexpected ride. Addictive. Astonishing stuff from Pete especially of course, even if (as drummer Otis has pointed out) he has equally brilliant but more subtle moments. Which brings me back to NEW LACE SLEEVES...
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Well, Elvis's vocal performance in Lipstick Vogue is nothing to be giddy about, especially when compared to his one-take talent in Pump It Up, or his Little Triggers performance.

I think TYM is Pete Thomas's cd to shine. His drums are unbelievable in every track.

<3,
s.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Yeah, Noise..I'd never thought about Lipstick Vogue that way before (with all the members playing integral part)...I agree.

I think his vocal performance on New Lace Sleeves is great, it's one of those where his voice goes all over the scale (especially the chorus) without cracking.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Yeah, his New Lace Sleeves performance is great. But his nasal issues in Lipstick Vogue's chorus aren't good at all.

<3,
s.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Back in the punk days, "Lipstick Vogue" was widely considered the highlight of the album. I think because it sort of had just enough echoes of the sort of big fat epic 1970's album centerpiece song to make rock geeks feel sort of comfortable. It's almost (but not really) EC's equivalent of "Jungleland" from "Born to Run". The song you're SUPPOSED to think is the best because it's obviously the most ambitious.

That being said, I too, think Lipstick Vogue is great. The song and the performance gets to a kind of emotional core you don't often get in a pop song. It feels more "personal" to me than almost anything else EC has ever written, including "I Want You."

Elvis's singing in those days wasn't half as good as it is now. But few rock singers are really "good" in the traditional "sing-from-your-diaphragm" sort of a way anyway. I used to compare it to Woody Allen playing the lead in a movie. Technically speaking, he wasn't 1/10th as good an actor as, say, Harvey Keitel, but you wouldn't want anyone else playing those Woody parts. (This was proved in "Celebrity" by Kenneth Branagh doing the worst faux-Woody in the history of the universe)

Still, don't think I put it on my list. Actually, I've always wondered about the big deal around "New Lace Sleeves." I like the song alot and the lyrics are especially good, but on at least a musical level for me it doesn't come close to such other "Trust" classics as "Clubland" or (the song only I seem to love) "You'll Never Be a Man" --- interesting to me that the song didn't even make the list while the similar, but non-album cut, "Black Sails in the Sunset" made the top 100.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Wehitandrun,

I couldn't disagree with you more about Elvis' vocals on Lipstick Vogue. I think they're brilliant. And, speaking from experience, they're VERY hard to do just right. It's the snarl and sneer of those vocals that brings me back time and time again to Lipstick Vogue, and indeed to TYM as an album. His phrasing in that song is genius. "It's you-oo-oo-oo-oooooooo.....naht justanahther moutha lapsteck vowwwwohhgah". I think it's as perfect a performance as it could be because it's exactly what the song needs. The lyrics require bitterness, chewed up and spit out. Had he sung the song with any polish at all, it would suck. And I suspect it would have been easier for him to sing it more conventionally. Thank goodness he had better sense than that. It's a treasure.
--William Shakespeare
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

There is a strange condition that occurs when you like a particular musician a lot...you become very blase about those tracks which are widely considered to be 'the best of' that artist (either commercially or critically)...and those tracks rarely appear on your 'list' of your favourite tracks by that artist.
Looking at the lists people chose, noone went for a straight Alison/Pump it up/Chelsea/Olivers/Detectives/etc., we all chose other tracks more, everyone having a few 'best of' tracks though.

That's really interesting to me....I'm a fan of the way 'best ofs' can make you hear songs in different ways, the way they sit amongst the other tracks...but in general I don't listen to the many EC 'best of's at all. So..why do we do this? Maybe it's partly the way some songs mean something to us personally for some reason or another - these songs taking greater precedence...but I wonder if a small part of us thinks, Im not choosing this song because 'it's too obvious'.
Jackson Doofster

As usual, Noise gets it right on the button. Nothing more for me to add to his views on the great LV. It surprises me that anyone can be critical of such a strong vocal performance.

Bobster - 'You'll Never be a Man' is indeed one of my faves and was either in my top 15 or int eh bubbling under section...can't recall. 8)
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
Jackson Doofster

Songs of mine that made the 50:

Man Out Of Time (2)
King Horse (17)
The Beat (33)
Hoover Factory (25)

Ones that didn't get a sniff:

Jack Of All Parades
Who Do You Think You Are?
My Little Blue Window
Green Song
Men Called Uncle
Hand In Hand
Town Cryer
When it Sings
The Birds Will Still Be Singing
Temptation
Upon A Veil of Midnight Blue
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

noiseradio wrote:Wehitandrun,

I couldn't disagree with you more about Elvis' vocals on Lipstick Vogue. I think they're brilliant. And, speaking from experience, they're VERY hard to do just right. It's the snarl and sneer of those vocals that brings me back time and time again to Lipstick Vogue, and indeed to TYM as an album. His phrasing in that song is genius. "It's you-oo-oo-oo-oooooooo.....naht justanahther moutha lapsteck vowwwwohhgah". I think it's as perfect a performance as it could be because it's exactly what the song needs. The lyrics require bitterness, chewed up and spit out. Had he sung the song with any polish at all, it would suck. And I suspect it would have been easier for him to sing it more conventionally. Thank goodness he had better sense than that. It's a treasure.

I dont think it'd suck if he sung it another way... and dont talk down to me because you sing for an Elvis Costello cover band.

I too am a vocalist, and I am positive that he could have sung it better, especially at that stage in his career. I am aware of the pronounciation, and I am aware of how bad the delivery is.

It could have most definitly of been approved.

<3,
s.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Oh, so I am not misunderstood, the vocal part I am specifically speaking of is the "snarly"(im growing to love that description) "ooo-oo-ooooooooo", his recovery from the nazel delivery for "not just..." is great, it is just that particular delivery.

Go ahead. "You dont get it, WHAR." "Wait until you're a fan a few more years, WHAR."

<3,
s.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I wouldn't dream of suggesting that your age has anything to do with it. I think you will be exactly the same when you are 57 :wink:
corruptio optimi pessima
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Jackson Monk wrote:I wouldn't dream of suggesting that your age has anything to do with it. I think you will be exactly the same when you are 57 :wink:
:lol:
bobster

Post by bobster »

laughingcrow wrote:There is a strange condition that occurs when you like a particular musician a lot...you become very blase about those tracks which are widely considered to be 'the best of' that artist (either commercially or critically)...and those tracks rarely appear on your 'list' of your favourite tracks by that artist.
Looking at the lists people chose, noone went for a straight Alison/Pump it up/Chelsea/Olivers/Detectives/etc., we all chose other tracks more, everyone having a few 'best of' tracks though.

That's really interesting to me....I'm a fan of the way 'best ofs' can make you hear songs in different ways, the way they sit amongst the other tracks...but in general I don't listen to the many EC 'best of's at all. So..why do we do this? Maybe it's partly the way some songs mean something to us personally for some reason or another - these songs taking greater precedence...but I wonder if a small part of us thinks, Im not choosing this song because 'it's too obvious'.
That may be a factor, but it's also a matter of repitition and familiarity breeding contempt.

I know this applies to me with the Beatles. My favorite songs of theres are things like "I'm Only Sleeping" and "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" -- but, if "Hey Jude" or "Yesterday" comes on the radio, it's even money whether I'll leave it or not, and I LOVE the Beatles.

My EC list actually did include both "Alison" and "Oliver's Army" pretty darn high up, as I recall. Still, even these EC songs were not big hits out here (I think Alison cracked the top 40, but just barely) and have only become sort of known over the years. They've hardly been "played to death" out here -- though "Alison" been covered so much it has become awfully familiar. On the other hand, I only enjoy "Pump it Up" in the most creative of re-imaginings. It's not because I don't think it's a great song, it's just that I've heard it SO many times.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Interesting points on Lipstick Vogue....in terms of the getting the pronunciation correct it must be a lot harder to imitate EC's voice because the british accent is a lot harder to imitate than the american one, especially while singing....that's not meant as a derogatory statement I might add.

The american accents lend themselves so well to song because of their loose consonants, and it seems that EC is generally considered to have a spitting vocalisation because of his delivery in a british style (as well as the 'mind the gap' teeth :D ) keeping consonants sharp and vowels tight.
Man out of Il.

Best Songs...

Post by Man out of Il. »

While I'll never choose one Elvis song over another... I don't see how you can leave Green Shirt, All the Rage and Unwanted Number out. Oh , and Black sails. I have to give a nod to battered old bird as well. Aw Hell, they're all good!!!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Lose the chip on your shoulder, WHAR.

I'm not talking down to you, nor was I in that last post. I'm just telling you that from my experience it's harder to sing that song the way he does than it is to sing Alison the way he does. Or any number of other polished vocals that he has done throughout his career. You're entitled to disagree, but as I said I couldn't disagree more. The delivery is what makes the song for me. Evidently for most everyone else as well.

Bringing up your age in a defensive manner is more childish than your opinion about the singing could ever be. (Ok. There I'm talking down to you. See the difference?)
--William Shakespeare