UNFAITHFUL MUSIC & DISAPPEARING INK - Oct. 2015

Pretty self-explanatory
erey

Re: UNFAITHFUL MUSIC & DISAPPEARING INK - Oct. 2015

Postby erey » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:01 pm

docinwestchester wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:On a slightly related topic, has there been criticism of Bruce Springsteen not providing an index in his autobiography?

That's an excellent question. There are dozens of threads about his book at the BTX site but no one has mentioned the lack of an index. I'll post the question there and report back.

Ha. Somehow I'm thinking the top 3 occupations for Springsteen (super)fans might not be librarian, accountant, and IT professional. :wink:

johnfoyle

Postby johnfoyle » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:47 pm

Richard on facebook has spotted one fleeting reference to Elvis -

The EC reference is on page 266 of my edition in the 'Darkness On The Edge Of Town' chapter of Book Two ('Born To Run'). "The Sex Pistols, the Clash and Elvis Costello all were pushing the envelope of what pop could be in 1977."

verbal gymnastics

Postby verbal gymnastics » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:09 pm

erey wrote:
docinwestchester wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:On a slightly related topic, has there been criticism of Bruce Springsteen not providing an index in his autobiography?

That's an excellent question. There are dozens of threads about his book at the BTX site but no one has mentioned the lack of an index. I'll post the question there and report back.

Ha. Somehow I'm thinking the top 3 occupations for Springsteen (super)fans might not be librarian, accountant, and IT professional. :wink:

:lol:
international laughing stock...

johnfoyle

Postby johnfoyle » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:42 am

Scott Sherratt posts on facebook -

For any group members who may be Grammy voters:
Elvis is under consideration for a Spoken Word nomination for his outstanding audiobook performance. If you haven't heard it you simply must. It is fabulous!

Scott produced the recording of the audiobook -

http://www.scottsherratt.com/

I gather votes have to be in by Nov. 4th , with it , hopefully , appearing on a nominations list on Dec. 6th

https://www.grammypro.com/grammy101

I told Scott I enjoyed the extract on the companion album - he replied -

That outtake, 'Sketches from My Wastebasket' was included on the Universal Records Unfaithful Music companion album. In my original post (above), I included a link to a longer version of that with a few additional, delightful stories. And, of course, that is Elvis playing the guitar bits throughout.

https://soundcloud.com/user-43440916/un ... ook-sketch

Jack of All Parades

Postby Jack of All Parades » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:22 am

The New Statesman had a review from back on 11/2/15 and rather a good one that I just came across. I enjoyed the 'butterfly' metaphor.

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/boo ... s-costello
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'

bronxapostle

Postby bronxapostle » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:07 pm

yes, at last i have begun to read this starting yesterday at day one of jury duty! but, i am already excused. nonetheless, i am up to page 119 and loving it. VERY ELVIS! :lol: :lol: :lol:

bronxapostle

Postby bronxapostle » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:11 am

I very much enjoyed the book, Elvis did a fine job entertaining, remembering and embellishing when needed. All this without being overwrought. Very good read, naturally. Who thinks there could be a second volume? Also, i got a funny feeling there were five or six times that he just HAD TO verify some date and/or factoid at our sister site, THE ELVIS COSTELLO WIKI.... anybody agree? Not that that would at all be disturbing, just sensible as a tool available for verification purposes. Thanks for the pleasurable read EC.

erey

Postby erey » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:37 pm

bronxapostle wrote:Also, i got a funny feeling there were five or six times that he just HAD TO verify some date and/or factoid at our sister site, THE ELVIS COSTELLO WIKI.... anybody agree? Not that that would at all be disturbing, just sensible as a tool available for verification purposes.

Definitely agree, BA.

One example jumped out at me when I was skimming the book again not too long ago. EC is describing an occasion when, knowing Ross was gravely ill, he was nearly overcome by emotion on stage while attempting to play "Last Boat Leaving". I'm sure that came from his memory. But he also "remembered" that this happened in Belfast and it was the sixth song of the set. Yep, betcha he looked that up in our wiki. :)

bronxapostle

Postby bronxapostle » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:34 am

yes, good idea erey. i should re-skim it myself and make a list of where i feel he might have glanced it. i recall the story about writing I FELT THE CHILL with Loretta and hitting the Ryman stage opening for Dylan that same night and playing it straight away. this could be one instance where he perused the wiki. not that he does not have a stellar memory, just for verification purposes.

johnfoyle

Postby johnfoyle » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:38 am

More promo for the book, prompted by the audio book being nominated for a Grammy. There's a 'bad language' warning at the start so Elvis might have been a bit expressive. I'm listening now - it starts about five minutes in.

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/ ... 04ebdf614f

johnfoyle

Postby johnfoyle » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:48 am

Usual stories except for some interesting comments at the end , c. 17 minutes , about using the word 'baton' in a 'recent composition'.

InvisibleMan

Postby InvisibleMan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:48 am

myaimistrue91 wrote:
InvisibleMan wrote:30? I spent 40€ for the signed one in Padova. :x

Italian or English one?

One year later prompt answer: English.

sweetest punch

Postby sweetest punch » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:46 pm

French version available for pre-order: https://www.amazon.fr/Musique-infidèle- ... s+costello

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.

johnfoyle

Postby johnfoyle » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:24 pm

Return to “Elvis Costello General Discussion”