sweetest punch

Re: Elvis 'memoir' now due Oct. 2015 - promo tour details

Post by sweetest punch »

Press info: https://bnccatalist.ca/ViewTitle.aspx?id=2127630

PDF - file:
Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink
By (author): Elvis Costello
Oct 13, 2015 | Forthcoming $36.00 CAD

The long-awaited, unconventional but indelible memoir by one of the music world’s
greatest and most influential songwriters and performers, Elvis Costello.
From his release, with The Attractions, of My Aim is True in 1976, Elvis Costello has been one
of the most popular and genre-bending entertainers of our era. Born to a musical family outside
of London and relocated to Liverpool, Costello created his own form of punk, became one of the
first artists to exploit the newly-burgeoning MTV-Video world and managed to make himself a
huge reputation in the UK and the U.S. through both his catchy tunes, provocative, poetic lyrics
and more than a few instances of bad behavior. Now, having just turned sixty, Elvis is in the
pantheon of elder statesmen musician/rockers, collaborating often with the likes of Paul
McCartney, great ballet and opera companies, hip-hop groups, jazz ensembles while appearing
frequently in venues like Carnegie Hall and on shows like David Letterman and Jimmy Fallon.
This is his story, written himself, rich with anecdotes about family and fellow musicians,
introspective about the creation of his famous songs.

ABOUT THE CONTRIBUTOR
Elvis Costello is a Grammy award-winning musician whose career spans almost four decades.
A prolific singer-songwriter, Costello has released several critically-acclaimed albums, and in
2003 was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Author Residence: New York, NY.

Promotion Plans

Marketing:
Tie-in with author’s extensive musical touring
Major social media push with social media calendar
Book trailer

Promotion:
Galleys
Radio promotion - giveaways

Advertising:
Major online and print advertising
NPR sponsorships

Publicity:
National broadcast interviews
Print and online reviews and interviews
Local appearances in New York City and Los Angeles
Radio satellite tour

BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY / Composers & Musicians
• English
• Hardcover
• General Trade
• 6 x 9 in
• 688 pages
• BLACK&WHITE PHOTOS THROUGHOUT
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

johnfoyle wrote:http://www.bookpeople.com/event/elvis-c ... ign=august

Book People , Austin TX

Event date:
Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 7:00pm
Event address:
603 N Lamar Blvd
Austin, TX 78703-5413

Tickets on sale August 21!
http://www.dailybag.com/deals/439891-bo ... ow-on-sale
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A poster on f/book confirms the page count -

684 pages (approx.) in the advance e-book!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

There'll probably be some extra pages as Elvis responds to revelations made by Bruce Thomas :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

And UK does get some book tour too, YAY
FrankieJ

Post by FrankieJ »

bronxapostle wrote:And UK does get some book tour too, YAY
Does it? Got any info. Would love to see him plug the book in London maybe. :)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/suppor ... nversation

PRIORITY BOOKING: ELVIS COSTELLO IN CONVERSATION
On sale to Members from 10am Tue 25 Aug
Thu 29 Oct
Royal Festival Hall

Songwriter Elvis Costello and a special guest discuss his new memoir Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink, which offers his own perspective on his unlikely and sometimes comical rise to international success.
FrankieJ

Post by FrankieJ »

Thanks for the link! Thrilled this is happening! Are tickets going to be sold to non-members, though?
FrankieJ

Post by FrankieJ »

Asked them, they said: General sale is this Wednesday at 10am. Event starts at 7:30pm approximately and tickets are £20, £15 and £10 brackets.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

bronxapostle wrote:has anyone learned anything about this events sale date? the link takes me nowhere helpful!

10/16/2015 AT 7:00 PM
NEW YORK PUBLIC LIBRARY, NY 10018 2788
http://www.nypl.org/
This page now says "PRESALE: SEPTEMBER 8. GENERAL SALE: SEPTEMBER 11. "

http://www.nypl.org/events/programs/201 ... nref=56896

For anyone interested in the event at Sixth and I in Washington DC, Tickets are on sale Thursday, August 27 at 10:00 AM. Online or by phone (877.987.6487 with a $1.50 fee per ticket). Additional fees apply.

http://www.sixthandi.org/event/elvis-costello/

For those hoping to catch a word and a photo with Elvis, the organisers of the Washington DC event say *This program does not include a book signing. All books will be pre-signed by Costello."

MOOT
terryhurley

Post by terryhurley »

Royal festival Hall 29 Oct. Booked.
FrankieJ

Post by FrankieJ »

terryhurley wrote:Royal festival Hall 29 Oct. Booked.
Me too! Disappointed the 'members' presale cleared all the close up centre stalls, but still managed to bag a second row side seat, so I'm happy with that.

Southbank Centre said to me on Twitter they don't know any details *yet* regarding copies of the book being provided at the event, but said there "definitely will be a signing". Hopefully I can get more info from them closer to the date. Exciting! :)
verbal gymnastics

FrankieJ wrote:
Me too!
Don't forget to post on the forum if you need us to work out your travel details for you! :lol:
FrankieJ

Post by FrankieJ »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
FrankieJ wrote:
Me too!
Don't forget to post on the forum if you need us to work out your travel details for you! :lol:
Haha, yeah, you're quite good at that. Luckily I know London well, so it won't be a problem. :wink:
verbal gymnastics

FrankieJ wrote:Southbank Centre said to me on Twitter they don't know any details *yet* regarding copies of the book being provided at the event, but said there "definitely will be a signing". Hopefully I can get more info from them closer to the date. Exciting! :)
I should think signed books will be available at the event for people that want them. Depending upon the format of the show, there may be a signing session after the show but I should think it would be limited to getting the book signed with no time for photos etc.

The good news (or bad news, depending) is that by the time the tour gets to the UK Elvis will have worked out the best format for the show.
erey

Post by erey »

So far, all of these "in conversation with" book-tour shows in the US are including the option to buy a pre-signed book at a very reasonable price, but no "live" book signing. He is doing a couple of straight book-signings -- no talk or presentation -- but only in New York City.

Even if you figure just 30 seconds per in-person book signing, it gets time-prohibitive pretty fast.
verbal gymnastics

I agree. There might be an opportunity to see Elvis at the stage door.

I saw Billy Bragg a few years ago and after his show he got in front of a desk and signed his book. That's why I wondered if Elvis would do the same.
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

I'm in the 2nd row too.

Hoping for a book signing or, failing that, a bit of stalking at the stage door.

Any idea how long the event is planned to last?
My head is spinning and my legs are weak
verbal gymnastics

I think we'll only get an idea once the shows start. I've got a feeling these will be a couple of hours. Elvis is a great storyteller so I think they'll be long shows.

Also he'll probably get bored of telling the same stories each night so it wouldn't surprise me if some of the questions are scripted with off pat answers but some will change each night.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

More importantly...who thinks EVERY night includes a song or three? I can't see him sitting comfortably without a guitar in hand. What do my friends here have to say..
Or should I make a separate thread?
Cocktail Murderess

Post by Cocktail Murderess »

Royal Festival Hall booked. Front row. Very happy. :lol:
I keep my lipstick twisted tight.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

You know, I don't fancy attending one of these at all - for a number of reasons

1) - I doubt if there'll be a "Q&A" session and so it may well end up being semi-scripted with any questions put by the interviewer being seen beforehand by Elvis
2) We've heard an awful lot of anecdotes over the years and with the liner notes of the Ryko/Rhino re-issues, I don't think Elvis will be revealing any amazing that hasn't been covered in print or in concert.
3) I'd guess the stories that would be interest to a lot of people will, be off-limits -
whether regarding the Columbus incident, Bruce Thomas or even working with the myriad of other talents - it may just end up being full of praise for each and every collaborator
4)I'd love to hear about recording processes and musical ideas from the early years but I suspect there will be more from the more recent past and, again, more about the musical adventures and collaborations
5) isn't this, to steal a phrase, a bit like dancing about architecture ? :wink:

I WON'T be there !
verbal gymnastics

We'll get some idea I guess after the first few shows. I've no doubt there'll be a script of sorts and my take on the In Conversation With means it'll principally be a set of questions. Whoever is interviewing might refer to specific parts of the book and ask questions like "In the book you refer to when you wrote Pump it up. Tell us more about that".

I'd like to think there'd be a Q&A session but it might be on the basis that you are asked to write a question which will then be pulled out of a hat onstage or "randomly" before the show.

Sulky - you know as well as anyone that you should expect the unexpected with Elvis. I hope you change your mind.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

sulky lad wrote:You know, I don't fancy attending one of these at all - for a number of reasons

1) - I doubt if there'll be a "Q&A" session and so it may well end up being semi-scripted with any questions put by the interviewer being seen beforehand by Elvis
2) We've heard an awful lot of anecdotes over the years and with the liner notes of the Ryko/Rhino re-issues, I don't think Elvis will be revealing any amazing that hasn't been covered in print or in concert.
3) I'd guess the stories that would be interest to a lot of people will, be off-limits -
whether regarding the Columbus incident, Bruce Thomas or even working with the myriad of other talents - it may just end up being full of praise for each and every collaborator
4)I'd love to hear about recording processes and musical ideas from the early years but I suspect there will be more from the more recent past and, again, more about the musical adventures and collaborations
5) isn't this, to steal a phrase, a bit like dancing about architecture ? :wink:

I WON'T be there !
I would not attempt to say it better- this captures my feelings in toto on the subject including 'architecture'- I look forward to immersing myself within the book but will avoid any kind of these events assiduously.......
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
erey

Post by erey »

Somehow I find myself hoping Sulky and Jack DON'T change their minds and end up bitterly regretting their decisions. But maybe I'm just having that kind of day... :wink: