Diana Krall explains`attachment to the aging punk rocker`

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Diana Krall explains`attachment to the aging punk rocker`

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/ ... 7999c.html

The briefing

Sounds like love: Musical newlyweds Elvis Costello and Diana Krall held tight to each other as they moved through the throng at the Vanity Fair party. In the upcoming W magazine, the torch singer explains her attachment to the aging punk rocker, who received a Best Original Song nomination for his tune in "Cold Mountain": "I love being married to him. I know, it's syrupy. Get out the pancakes! I never thought I would get married - I sort of accepted that I probably wouldn't. I was sad about it, that's for sure. I was lonely. It's almost like as soon as my mom died, Elvis came into my life. It's amazing how one person can leave and this huge other force comes in."
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

"Get out the pancakes!"

I should start using that line.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Blue - how about "I like my women like I like my pancakes; hot, golden and covered in syrup".

If that doesn't get the women drooling...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

that bit about - mom's dead, and i found this guy - bothers me.

i know i stated it in an ugly way there, but, having done the same, i feel okay about it. :)

a parent's death can be a HUGE deal. it usually is. i won't presume it is for everyone, but, from what i've seen, she is truly connected to her parents.

it does leave a hole. i didn't realize that i was filling that hole w/ my (now ex) husband. i don't think, if my mom hadn't died when she did, i would have married this particular guy. i would have (i hope!) noticed his terminal flaws. but with this giant hole in my life, i thought i'd be able to work around the flaws, just to plug the hole.

it just sounds like potentially a recipe for disaster.

gosh, i hope this makes some sense. i haven't finished my coffee yet.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I know what you're saying Poppet, and I thought that while reading it.

But, I guarantee there is A LOT more to it than that. It wasn't as simple as "bye mom, hi elvis", as bad as her quoting makes it sound.

<3,
s.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

how about, "I like my women like my pancakes, 3 high and sticky". Ok that was uncalled for. I take it all back. lol
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I really needed that laugh today.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I think she just meant that he was there for her when things were tough.. like her knight in shining armour, our Elvis.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
HungupStrungup

Re: Diana Krall explains`attachment to the aging punk rocke

Post by HungupStrungup »

. . . the torch singer explains her attachment to the aging punk rocker . . .
Obviously, many NY Daily News readers, particularly those who get most of their information from the gossip/celebrity news pages, won't know EC at all, but is "aging punk rocker" the best we can do for a pithy description? I can't imagine Sting being so described. How about any of these?
genius songwriter
balding song stylist
red-shoed former enfant terrible
spectacled tunesmith
erstwhile Paul McCartney sideman
wee speccy bloke
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yeah, Elvis must be getting older.. I remember when "aging rock star" referred to people like The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, and Paul McCartney.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

ageing rock star must mean the 50+ crowd.

ancient rock star might be the over 60 crowd, which are the stones, mccartney, dylan, etc.

and yes, i really did just look up all their ages.

bill wyman, no longer a member of the stones, is the oldest at 68. paul is 62. mick is 61.

mick over 70. it's a scary thought. 60, i can deal with. 70? that's granddad territory.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Just wait till Elvis gets there. Can you imagine? I cant . . .
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Well, Elvis came to me when I had a big hole in my life...but I love Elvis for his mind, not his body as well!

Diana says she'd been lonely anyway, so her mum's death coincides with an important movement in her life. Not necessarily a bad thing.
Misha

Post by Misha »

I think the quote could have used some work and had some initial concerns about her filling a hole with a different cork......just because you lose a puppy doesn't mean you go buy another puppy....doesn't work in the long run.

But, that said,,,,she had been alone and not risking it, apparently, so being vulnerable when her mom was dying probably caused her to venture into untamed waters....right where our boy was....

Way to swoop Elvis, way to swoop in....
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

"Aging punk rocker...."

Grrrrr, I hate that. It sounds so insulting. :?

I came across some old newspaper clippings yesterday along with a bunch of ticket stubs from some concerts I had been to. (Remember Fee Waybill?)
The date was August 4, 1983 and the article (from our pathetic local newspaper) began:

"Elvis Costello isn't angry anymore...."

Then went on to talk about the previous nights show that kicked off the "Clocking Across America" tour. The author described a more "soulful" Elvis, who, along with his BAND, "skillfully and gleefully" road their way through 28 tunes. He went on to name Elvis as "a pioneer of New Wave music since 1977."

Oh, it continued on with more misinformed and ignorant commentary until it ended saying:

"Costello's new songs may lack some of his old venom, but the change is a sign of musical and personal maturity. Costello has grown up, and his music has grown up with him."
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Those last lines cracked me up. This was only 1983!
I'm not angry anymore....
migdd

Post by migdd »

I vividly remember some reviews of ARMED FORCES in 1979 that claimed Elvis had matured beyond the angry young man stance. I guess compared to the previous year. . .

When he is 75 and recording his 38th studio recording, critics will hail how much he has "matured" since the angry old days of Painted From Memory or WIWC. It's the price you pay for "maturing"!