Elvis loses Academy Award to Annie Lennox/Howard Shore

Pretty self-explanatory
BlueChair

Elvis loses Academy Award to Annie Lennox/Howard Shore

Post by BlueChair »

How could such a boring song beat Elvis AND A Kiss At The End Of The Rainbow? Or even that fun song from the French animated film.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Cause its from Lord of the Rings?

The movie that seems to be fairly unbeatable so far . . .

:?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

grey is the color of my true love's hair....

Just remember it wasn't sting.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I dunno, for me the Sting and LOTR songs were equally boring. I enjoyed the other songs a lot.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

Just remember, there are no losers at the Academy Awards. There are only those the Academy Award goes to, and those the Academy Award doesn't go to.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

that was bizarre.. Elvis' mike appearing to be turned off.. and the Sacred Hards conductor and Elvis competing .. seemed to confuse the singers

and yes, it would have won had it been part of the soundtrack for LOTR:-)
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Well, at least Sting didn't get it, but who wants to predict that we'll see a Sting/EC co-write nominated within 5 years?

EC is still a winner of sorts: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3417875.stm

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Elvis - if you don't fancy the steakhouse dinner for 10 then send it to me care of the board.

I'm here most days except weekends.

I'll also take the jewel encrusted lingerie set as it's Mrs VG's 30th birthday in a few weeks time.

See you in Bournemouth.
Cheers
VG
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Small world scenario: Liv Tyler introed. EC last night. Liv's mom is...
http://aerosmith.mu/bebe_buell/images/B ... stello.jpg
Last edited by martinfoyle on Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

BlueChair:

You must have loved the Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara reanactment of Mitch and Mickey performing "A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow".

It was probably the highpoint of the show for me.

When Eugene stammered forward and stuttered into the mic: "On drums.." and turned incredulous to find no drummer. Perfect.

It should have won. I agree with you. What a beautiful simple song.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Glad you enjoyed it, Mr. A. It was also a highpoint for me. I need to watch my A Mighty Wind DVD again. Hilarious film.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

'Due to budget cuts, they were unable to actually punch out the spindle hole on the LP with two color cover. So the buyer was left to hopefully punch out the hole in the correct, balls-on dead center, or....."

....something to that affect. I laughed so hard that the people around me thought I was insane. Well, maybe.........
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Haha... I love how it was capped off by Harry Shearer saying, "punch a hole in there, and you'll have a good time"
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

hey he looked good though. i don't really think i heard much of it anyway cause my mind was buzzing. here is alison krause and her shoes who just a few years ago looked like a scared little lost waif on the opry and what seems like just a few years ago seemingly angry gangly elvis floppin' around on tv and videos standing up there in one of the most gaudy plastic environments every created and lordy...
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
bobster

Re: Elvis loses Academy Award to Annie Lennox/Howard Shore

Post by bobster »

BlueChair wrote:How could such a boring song beat Elvis AND A Kiss At The End Of The Rainbow? Or even that fun song from the French animated film.
Well, I call me a big old geek, but I actually liked that song at least a lot better than Sting's, and it is sort of pretty and Annie Lennox is a great, great singer (though the award is supposed to be for the song). I actually probably would have voted for the "Triplets of Belleville" song.

And I do like the way the music was handled for LOTR. Business imperatives probably drove the inclusion of famous pop singers at the end singing songs at the end of all three films, but how grateful should we all be that, after the main titles ended, we weren't accosted by drum machines and the voice of Jessica Simpson doing an elven themed Diane Warren tune...
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

the triplets of belleville song was FABULOUS! and the presentation was brilliant. imho. :)

i love the soundtracks to LoTR. My favorite 'pop song' from them is 'Gollum's Song' by Emilliani Torrini, but 'Into the West' gives me chills. a beautiful song, sung beautifully by annie lennox.

Not sure if it should have won, but it is still brilliant work. bummed that i missed seeing it performed.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

Does anybody besides me think that Elvis' guitar was a little out of tune during that little solo at the end?

And he was holding it like it was an assault rifle.

The "Academy" is a bit squeamish 'bout things like that.
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

cbartal wrote:
And he was holding it like it was an assault rifle.
He must've been guarding Krauss's shoes.

Oh gawd, now I'm quoting myself! Geeeez...!