I just found this article at: http://www.chartattack.com/DAMN/2003/07/0415.cfm

LIVE: Elvis Costello
Friday July 04, 2003 @ 05:00 PM
By: ChartAttack.com Staff

Hummingbird Centre
Toronto, Ontario
July 2, 2003
By Elizabeth Chorney-Booth

Back in town only a year after he brought his When I Was Cruel Tour to the Molson Amphitheatre, Toronto was spoiled by yet another visit by the incomparable Elvis Costello. Without a new album to promote and the luxury of playing in a soft-seater theatre, Costello used his return performance as an opportunity to treat his audience to a rare set of his own (if not necessarily everyone in the audience’s) old favourites and a jazzy sensibility that may hint at the feel of his upcoming piano-based album, North, which is due in September.

Rather than slapping them with a greatest hits show, Costello’s seduction of his audience was slow and calculated. Put the man in a theatre and he’ll give you a theatre show — each time he changed his guitar the vibe shifted like a new act of a play — and he brought out all of his characters: the adult singer-songwriter, the angry young man and the tender softie. Coming out with a big hollow-body, Costello began his set on a mellow vibe, leading his Imposters in subtle, keyboard-heavy versions of songs like "My Dark Life" and "So Like Candy." While it was all tasteful enough, Costello’s lack of interaction with the crowd and detached mellowness was frustrating and by the time he got to a deflated version of "Pump It Up," a few confused fans were shifting in their seats and desperately yelling out requests for "Alison."

But it was all part of Costello’s genius plan. Changing to a solid-body guitar, he cranked out a revved-up rendition of "I Can’t Stand Up For Falling Down." After playing rock ‘n’ roller for a spell, another change — to an acoustic guitar — was when Costello really turned on the charm, breaking down his wall of detachment and finally becoming truly intimate with the audience. Buttering up his victims with "Indoor Fireworks" and "Sweet Dreams," Costello sealed the deal by throwing in a cover of "You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me," eliciting tears and frantic singalongs from the crowd.

Throughout it all, while Costello’s song choices made the show special and his band was pristine, it was his voice that stole the show. With the crystal clear acoustics of the Hummingbird Centre, Elvis’ voice was front and centre. Often stepping back from the mic to let the air carry his anguished voice, it was the sincerity and quality of his tone that made this performance exceptional.

As if all that wasn’t enough, Costello came back for more, giving two staggering encores, building the crowd up with "Every Day I Write The Book" and "Watching The Detectives," before completely devastating every tender heart in the room with a performance of "Almost Blue" that rivaled the chilling rendition of "I Want You" that he played at the Amphitheatre last year. Finally, knowing that he had us all exactly where he wanted us, Costello pulled everyone back up with "(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace Love And Understanding," leaving his emotionally exhausted audience to dance in aisles. We couldn’t have asked for a kinder, or more dramatic, seduction.

-----
I really would have liked to have heard/seen Every Day I Write The Book live.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

pip_52 wrote:I was hoping he'd do Almost Blue . . .

Well, I guess I am still hoping he'll do Almost Blue, in Chicago.
Pip, he did Almost Blue at Bard and it brought me to tears. It was so intense.
I'm not angry anymore....
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I think it's best if he doesn't close with I Want You at all on this tour as it was such a distinctive feature of the last tour. A heart-rending almosst blue annd then going out on a high with PLU will do nicely.
A rope leash

I know this is killing you

Post by A rope leash »

REAL Elvis fans don't request Alison!
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

How I envy you lucky lot.....COME HOME AND PLAY FOR US ELVIS FOR CHRISTS SAKE!!! :x
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

I don't know about the ENVY part...I could've sprung for tickets for EC at Chateau Ste. Michelle, but at $70 (American) for General seating, and $90 for reserved, simply could not afford it!!

:cry:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
PlaythingOrPet

Re: I know this is killing you

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

A rope leash wrote:REAL Elvis fans don't request Alison!
Or Oliver's fucking Army.

Okay, last year I saw two EC gigs. He ended one with I Want You (he actually finished with The Leaving Of ScouseLand, but that's not important right now), the other with Pump It Up. I walked away feeling much more satisfied with the PIU goodbye. That's all.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

I don't really like I Want You. There, I've said it.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
A rope leash

Quite brave...

Post by A rope leash »

Here's the thing about I Want You...

Like the rest of Blood and Chocolate, it's off the deep end. I believe it goes to show that one does not have to be a psycho to write a psycho song. It begs the question: which matters most? The art, or the artist?
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Ooooooh, Dr. J.--What you said!!

:lol:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
Poppet

Re: I know this is killing you

Post by Poppet »

A rope leash wrote:REAL Elvis fans don't request Alison!
i mentioned getting tickets to elvis to a friend, and she said 'ooooh, i LOVE elvis!' so i suggested she join me. but, she had to bail, she's going away that day.

she said, 'think of me when he does Allison, that's my favorite'. OH GOOD LORD!!!!! favorite??? Allison? no WAY!

i'm actually glad she can't join me. i want someone who is either open to loving elvis, or someone who loves him more than that. i'm greedy.

she'd walk outta the show being pissed. i think i'd kill her then, and that's not the way to properly treat a friend.

now i just have to find that someone. i do have two tickets.

(don't get me wrong, i like Allison. but there's so much MORE, to say Allison is the favorite? just doesn't make sense to me.)
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Poppet: Alison with one 'l' in this case. He didn't play it in London last year, and I was in the mood for it, so would happily see it now. I thought IWY was a show-stopping, jaw-dropping stop to the show. Unforgettable experience.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Poppet, I can relate to the experience with your friend.
I too have trouble finding someone of equal enthusiasm to accompany me to his shows. Having just that problem for Wednesdays show in Philly. Ah, none of my girlfriends can go. The thrill factor doesn't equal the effort/time/expence factor. FEH! My 19 year old is a fan and would gladly go but it's a bit awkward leaving his girlfriend behind. (Only 2 tix)
And then there's my husband, *sigh*, who, at one time a long, long time ago, shared my love for Elvis. Twenty years together changes a lot and that's one of them.
I'd rather not go with him, but it looks like he's the one.
I've already told him that I'm not going to let him ruin this for me and that I'd rather go alone than let that happen.

Me, alone, at an Elvis show? Well now...... :wink:
I'm not angry anymore....
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

well, i just might end up going by myself. and, i think in future i will just get one ticket, and finding a 'date' be damned.

all for me! all mine! no sharing!