Rhino Reissues Of AB/KV/GCW out today?

Pretty self-explanatory
wehitandrun

Rhino Reissues Of AB/KV/GCW out today?

Post by wehitandrun »

http://www.elviscostello.info has February 17th, 2004 as the release date for the reissues of Almost Blue, Kojak Variety, and Goodbye Cruel World.

Is this correct?

<3,
s.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

oh man! Im not gonna be able to get to the shops til Saturday.....nnnngh! (that was a sound of frustration if you were wondering)

Addenndum: None of these are on amazon.co.uk yet...so i don't think JohnE's site is right............I hope Im wrong though.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

No, it is not correct.
HolyCoatAndHat

Post by HolyCoatAndHat »

Does anyone know when Almost Blue will be re-released? I really need this on CD, even though it has never been one of my favs. I have not had a turntable hooked up for many years, so I have not heard AB for 10 years or more. I honestly have not missed it, but once I have AB, I will have all of EC's major releases on CD. Perhaps I will appreciate AB more now than I did when it came out?
Toy Soldier-Scaremonger

Post by Toy Soldier-Scaremonger »

Knowing Gary Stewart and the time he likes to take at Rhino, I can only surmise they won't be out until late spring or early summer. :(
I can't remember being any younger.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Trust me.. if they were out already, you would have known about it :D

Never trust a Rhino release date. Especially when it isn't listed on their official website.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Toy Soldier-Scaremonger

Post by Toy Soldier-Scaremonger »

I forgot to mention to you wehitandrun that the fifth batch from Rhino will be Almost Blue, Kojak Variety, and King of America. They're part of the same set since the highlight the country side of Elvis' artistry. The sixth and possible final batch won't be out till 2005 which'll be Cruel World, Juliet Letters, and an expanded Taking Liberties on which they'd better put 'Town Called Big Nothing'. I understand they will have it on there.
I can't remember being any younger.
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

I keep hoping (probably in vain) for an expanded Costello & Nieve reissue. Since all the dates on the tour were recorded, there has to be plenty of material not included in the boxed set. There would be alternate versions certainly, but there are probably songs that didn't appear on any of the 5 CD's.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

For some reason Goodbye Cruel World has replaced King of America in the next batch, so it will be Almost Blue, Goodbye Cruel World, and Kojak Variety.

The last announced release date was April, but that's beginning to look overly optimistic.

Here's my latest plug for the "Elvis Costello on Rhino" website:
http://www.geocities.com/ned3705/rhino.html
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Yeah I heard about GCW replacing King of America.

I'm not too fond of King of America yet, I dunno if that statement will put a bulls eye on my chest or anything... but I'll have to give it a few more listens.

I really want a double disc reissue of Goodbye Cruel World. I think people are too quick to call it bad, just because the words came from the man himself (and they barely did,- "the worst record of good songs" might have been the quote).

But yeah, I'm going to buy both regardless... whenever they are released.

<3,
s.
Sgt. Rutter

Post by Sgt. Rutter »

OMG! King Of America is one of his absolute best albums ever. Definitely one of my top 5. It's just about flawless. The writing, the production, the band, the performance, the packaging....

Give it a chance and try reading the lyrics while listening to it. That's what did it for me. I think it's one of the first times one was able to do that with an EC album.

Granted, it's a different sound from his previous work and it has to be: it's a completely different band, different producer, different recording technique, and a completely different approach overall.

Technically, it really isn't even an "Elvis Costello" album as he credits it to "The Costello Show and drops "Elvis Costello" from the writing credits in favor of his real name. Think he was trying to make a new start? He even grew a beard! He was fantastic before, but he really grew up on this record and practically reinvented himself in the process. As great as he was before, he was just an incredibly better songwriter after KOA.

It's just a brilliant album. I hope you get into it because I think you'll be blown away once you do.

Enjoy!
I wish I could push a button and talk in the past and not the present tense.
HolyCoatAndHat

Post by HolyCoatAndHat »

With the exception of Eisenhower Blues, there is not a bad song on KOA. Glad to hear that you are going to give it another chance! It will probably be stuck in my CD player for a week now after reading this.

Anyone with teenage daughter that has played Our Little Angel when her date came to pick up? Or don't they do that anymore?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

WooHoo! More lovers of the musically genius compilation that is KOA. What a batch of songs. I could listen to it every day. Been listening to it this morning already.

I hope he plays at least one song from KOA tomorrow night. Just one.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

It was a fine idea at the time :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Im not really that keen on Glitter Gulch....but Little Palaces, Brilliant Mistake, Suit of Lights, Jack of all Parades, Sleep of the Just...make it a monumental record.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I just (after 4 months) got a reply from Dr Rhino......gasp.......in response to my request...
Hi there Dr Rhino, can you tell me when the next batch of your fine Elvis Costello reissues will be available to buy in the UK and which albums they will be please?
However, Dr Rhino needs to have his practitioners license revoked...because, he tardily replies...
I don't have information on this release at this time. Please stay tuned to http://www.rhino.com for any further developments.

To receive all the latest information on Rhino releases, sales, and contests, sign up for the Rhino Newletter at this link: http://www.rhino.com/fun/newsletter.html.

To receive all the latest information on Rhino Handmade releases and contests, sign up for the Handmade Newsletter at this link: http://www.rhinohandmade.com/newsletter.mgi2.

Dr. Rhino
:shock: ....why don't they know the OFFICIAL RELEASE DATES or even the ALBUMS THEY'RE GOING TO RELEASE....? :shock:

There's only one Dr on this board!
Sgt. Rutter

KOA

Post by Sgt. Rutter »

spooky girlfriend,

If the posted set lists are any indication, he should do at least one, if not two songs from KOA.

Little Palaces, Brilliant Mistake, Suit of Lights, Jack of all Parades, Sleep of the Just are all classics, but my favorite track is Indoor Fireworks. I never hear it mentioned much. I love th lyrics and the way he delivers them. Awesome.

How can I post a picture?[/img]
I wish I could push a button and talk in the past and not the present tense.