High Fidelity Lyric

Pretty self-explanatory
User avatar
taz
Site Admin
Posts: 340
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:10 pm
Contact:

High Fidelity Lyric

Postby taz » Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:48 pm

Okay, in the song High Fidelity I always thought the fifth line was:

"Love has never been an amateur hour"

But on elviscostello.info it reads:

"Lovers laughing in their amateur hour"

I'll still sing it my way of course (elvis be damned), but after listening to the song several times I still can't tell...thoughts? Besides, I sorta like mine... :D
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.

User avatar
mood swung
Posts: 6906
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:59 pm
Location: out looking for my tribe
Contact:

Postby mood swung » Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:55 pm

your way is my way, but we are both wrong, I think.
Like me, the "g" is silent.

User avatar
Jackson Doofster
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:25 pm
Location: Some far flung Canadian Club

Postby Jackson Doofster » Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:30 pm

I think that you are both right in that you are both wrong. :lol:
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."

User avatar
Otis Westinghouse
Posts: 8851
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:32 pm
Location: The theatre of dreams

Postby Otis Westinghouse » Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:05 pm

That's always been 100% clear to me. The whole lyric is, I think. Love his voice on there. Close to cracking and having problems, very raw. Great stuff.

User avatar
DrJ
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: London, apparently.

Postby DrJ » Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:59 pm

I also always thought it was "Love has never been an amateur hour" but I check the Singing Dictionary and it tells me the Lover's Laughing thing.

I guess I'll just have to buy the GH reissue now to be really really sure...

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu

cbartal
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:24 am

Postby cbartal » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:10 am

I always sang it as

Love is nothing but an amateur hour.

selfmademug

Postby selfmademug » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:11 am

Put me in the mis-heard column. Hmm... food for thought. I certainly can't wait to hear the GH reissue. The CD copy I have has shit for sound (not just the LP's wall-of-sound type production but serious mud).

User avatar
IStandAccused
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:39 am

Re: High Fidelity Lyric

Postby IStandAccused » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:40 am

taz wrote:Okay, in the song High Fidelity I always thought the fifth line was:

"Love has never been an amateur hour"

But on elviscostello.info it reads:

"Lovers laughing in their amateur hour"

I'll still sing it my way of course (elvis be damned), but after listening to the song several times I still can't tell...thoughts? Besides, I sorta like mine... :D


~~The lyric is "lovers laughing in their amateur hour"- that is the correct lyric.
*"Common sense is not so common."*Voltaire
For those who speak French, "Le sens common n'est pas si commun."

User avatar
SweetPear
Posts: 672
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:19 am
Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania

Postby SweetPear » Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:30 am

cbartal wrote:I always sang it as

Love is nothing but an amateur hour.


Me too.
I'm not angry anymore....

User avatar
sulkygirl
Posts: 531
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:22 pm
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Postby sulkygirl » Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:54 am

I always thought it was:

"Love has never been an amateur hour-
Holding hands in the corridors of power--
Even though I'm with somebody else right now---"

I've been drinking, could've flubbed that last line.

My problem is the last VERSE of the song...I really love ya'all on the other side of the pond, but British Syntax & Slang are a bitch if you've never been!
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."

User avatar
noiseradio
Posts: 2295
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:04 pm
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Postby noiseradio » Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:32 pm

It is:

"Lovers laughing in their amateur hour,
Holding hands in the corridors of power
Even though I'm with somebody else right now."

It's all of a piece, and if you change the first line to "Love is nothing but an amateur hour," it doesn't make much sense as a whole.


And the last verse is:

"Even though you're nowhere near me,
And I know you kiss him so sincerely now.
Even though the signal's indistinct
And you worry what silly people think
Who just can't wait to feel so frozen out
I bet he thinks that he was chosen out
of millions I suppose he'll never know about"
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare

User avatar
IStandAccused
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:39 am

Postby IStandAccused » Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:39 pm

noiseradio wrote:It is:

"Lovers laughing in their amateur hour,
Holding hands in the corridors of power
Even though I'm with somebody else right now."

It's all of a piece, and if you change the first line to "Love is nothing but an amateur hour," it doesn't make much sense as a whole.


And the last verse is:

"Even though you're nowhere near me,
And I know you kiss him so sincerely now.
Even though the signal's indistinct
And you worry what silly people think
Who just can't wait to feel so frozen out
I bet he thinks that he was chosen out
of millions I suppose he'll never know about"


~~Right on, Noise!! You and I agree on the lyrics. What do you think this is about? Just curious.
*"Common sense is not so common."*Voltaire

For those who speak French, "Le sens common n'est pas si commun."

User avatar
sulkygirl
Posts: 531
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:22 pm
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Postby sulkygirl » Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:46 pm

Thanks, noise....it always frustrated me that I could never quite make out the last few lines...

--sulky
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."

User avatar
noiseradio
Posts: 2295
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:04 pm
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Postby noiseradio » Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:50 pm

I think it's about an unfaithful man pining for his unfaithful woman.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

--William Shakespeare

User avatar
IStandAccused
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:39 am

Postby IStandAccused » Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:22 am

noiseradio wrote:I think it's about an unfaithful man pining for his unfaithful woman.


~~Noise, you are soooooooooo funny! Yep, thats what it is about! :lol:
*"Common sense is not so common."*Voltaire

For those who speak French, "Le sens common n'est pas si commun."

User avatar
SweetPear
Posts: 672
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:19 am
Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania

Postby SweetPear » Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:27 am

IStandAccused wrote:
noiseradio wrote:I think it's about an unfaithful man pining for his unfaithful woman.


~~Noise, you are soooooooooo funny! Yep, thats what it is about! :lol:


I agree.
I'm not angry anymore....


Return to “Elvis Costello General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests