Lyrics to songs on `North`

Pretty self-explanatory
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Dear Candy...I'm with you on free thinking ..believe me there ! And I am not even in disagreement with your statements...Elvis' venom is what makes it all click.....I was just being "dry"! ......as usual.

sincerely,

The Misunderstood Creep
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Well, having read the lyrics a few times now (*ducks from laser-like beam of Otis's scorn*) I'm just more excited. I've put them aside until September, but I loved getting a preview/hint of the overall emotional arc of the record. (To be honest, though, I read them as much to find out what's going on in the man's life and brain as I did to get that preview.) The whole thing strikes me as very ....grown up. In a good way-- there are times when it's very brave, to say nothing of beautiful, to be something other than clever and cryptic, you know? I'll shut it now, cause this appears to be a divisive topic....
IStandAccused

This is nothing new!

Post by IStandAccused »

bambooneedle wrote:People are spazzing out about this album...
~~I really don't think this is such a big departure from EC of yore. He has written many gorgeous love songs. He has also run off with the blond before too. I do not think that "Too Blue" is about Diana. If you read the lyrics, you can see where that is going and it isn't North, HA! It is directed North though. He seems to be going through a bunch of different emotions. Where's Cait in these songs? It seems odd to me but a new relationship can do that to anyone let alone a song-writter. I don't see his usual "escape" in these songs either. He will not be able to say they were about something else in ten years so he is at least admitting how he feels for a change. Another thing I noticed about "When Green Eyes Turn Blue"- Cait's eyes are brown and Diana's eyes are green.
*"Common sense is not so common."*Voltaire
For those who speak French, "Le sens common n'est pas si commun."
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Everyone is right.
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
shabbydoll

Post by shabbydoll »

Well, this is all very interesting. I think we are all getting about a third of the picture here, and I'm surprised to say the least that these lyrics have been posted so soon. It was pretty obvious from the title and what Elvis has said already in interviews what this album was going to be about, but reading lyrics without the music is taking words out of context.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

In the end, if Elvis is still Elvis, then it doesn't matter a flying fig what any one thinks. One of the reasons I admire the guy.
I like just about everything he puts out but I love Elvis for more than just his music.
I like what he stands up for. I believe in a lot of the things he believes in. I admire choices he's made. I like the way he loves his ma'r -n- pa. I love his great passion for music of all kinds. I think his writing borders on genius. His voice, I love his voice, with all it's cracks and imperfections. His curiosity fascinates me. I love a guy who has all these feelings and ideas and images floating around in this head and is able to get them out in such a beautiful way. And on top of all that, I think he is sooo handsome and very sexy.

Yep, the lyrics I read sounded a little cheezy. And yeah, taken out of context. But I'm still gonna go out and buy the record and most likely be surprizingly delighted and intrigued or maybe, a little disappointed. So what. I'm interested because it's Elvis.

Elvis has said when asked about this song or that, that he just needs to get the stuff out.
I can't wait to hear what he's got to say.

P.S. I love you Candy for speaking your OPINION.....you go girl!
I'm not angry anymore....
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

A concept album about Oliver North will never sell.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Pet Sounds is remarkable. But the comparrison suffers from the fact that before Pet Sounds, Brian Wilson had only churned out "Let's Go Surfin' Now Everybody's Learnin' how Come on a Safari With Me"

Elvis has done better than these lyrics before. This is not a bench mark.

If your point is that sugary lyrics can be great, you're right. But Elvis doesn't have that track record.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

No,no,no Mr Radio, that is not my point at all. My point is the very one that Shabby Doll makes: "...reading lyrics without the music is taking words out of context".

If one reads the Pet Sounds lyrics without the assistance of music, they can seem hokey and pukesome (to some - not to me). If you listen to Pet Sounds, you can clearly hear that those lyrics are enhanced by the beauty of the music. Now, I accept that Pet Sounds is not everyone's cup of tea, and I would probably guess that the next album is unlikely to be a Noise radio favourite (on the basis of previous posts). Nevertheless, I would caution anyone on judging any album on the merits of lyrics alone. There are many fine love songs around and that is a good thing IMHO. There is more to life than anger, blood and dark chocolate.

I'm a romantic kind of guy. I like a bit of sugar with my bile.

Peace and Love
Doofmonkster Jack
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

i peeked, i gagged, lamented and spewed
bear in mind i can't even spell hi coo
though i would say i know when i hear barry white
even hiding in size 9 and a half shoes

i shook when i heard the phrase "more direct"
well he said he'd been "struck by lightning"
finally it's clear to me why my whole life
i have found electricity so frightening

i hope the career doesn't krall to stall
and pray the words set to tunes will be gnarly
i'll trust he's discerning the difference between love
and smiley's skill at suck-starting his harley
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
A rope leash

Ooooh good good good

Post by A rope leash »

Oil, you're such a talent...

Wasn't Graham Parker struck by lightening?
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

He could have chosen a woman that could make him suffer. Instead he chose a woman who would make his fans suffer. It's not all that bad. Some lines make you cringe but I've heard "When It Sings" and it was wonderful. I have high hopes for the record even if the title is a bit mundane. Face it-we are all going to buy it!
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

Lapin--how did you happen to hear "When It Sings"?
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

UCLA in March. :P Amazing show!
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

Damn it! Damn it, damn it, damn it! He'll most likely play some of the tunes from the new album in Chicago this Sunday, and I won't be there.

Damn it.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man