Music Videos

Pretty self-explanatory
double dutchess

Music Videos

Post by double dutchess »

I recently got a hold of a VHS recording of several old Elvis videos. This was quite exciting for me, not only because I don't have a life, but also because I don't recall ever seeing any of his videos. (I stopped watching MTV years before I became a fan.)

While i have not yet had time for more in-depth viewing (my way of saying "watching it until my eyeballs bleed"), here are some thoughts...

I liked the "New Amsterdam" concept; it was so minimalist, yet conceptual. That is, until the end. The lingering shot of the statue of liberty didn't do it for me. While that angle certainly does scream New York, it does not scream New Amsterdam. I'm thinking a view of the dock from a distance would have illustrated the point better. And what's up with the daffodills?

"You Little Fool" was cute. But I think I watch too much television, or something, because by the end, I was expecting a shot of her throwing up, or maybe the guy making out with another girl.

Hands up: Who wishes they were the girl who played Elvis' date in "I Wanna be Loved"? I love the way he said "darling". So very quaint!

I'd love to hear other opinions! By the way, did he ever make a video for "Tramp the Dirt Down"?
I wasn't born the sharpest thorn
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

I think the Daffodils are a reference to 'old' Amsterdam.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Ah, the mother country...
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
laughingcrow

PLANET OF THE APES reference by the way, if ya didnt know...

Post by laughingcrow »

DD said:
That is, until the end. The lingering shot of the statue of liberty didn't do it for me.
It was Earth all along!!! You fools, you blew it up! Damn you! Damn you all to hell!!!!!!

All EC videos are a bit naff though aren't they...the palm tree beach in Oliver's Army, the darkened cinema of She, the victorian undertaker pushing a shopping trolley in 45...
migdd

Post by migdd »

Don't forget. . .90% of Elvis' videos were made pre-MTV so they are not high-tech! Many of the older ones (particularly for the Armed Forces material) seem to be made on the road, on the cheap, and on the quick! But they sure are fun and Elvis sure looks more goofy than menacing!!!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I guess most of you already know this, but just in case - You can see a few of Elvis's videos on the Rolling Stone site:

http://www.rollingstone.com/search/defa ... ctgy=video
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I love those videos! Watching E and the Attractions attempt to dance brings a great amount of joy to my life.

:lol:
John

Post by John »

Great fun those videos. A few weeks ago I played my copy of The Best Of (The Man) video for the first time in many years. I really enjoyed it and inflicted the whole video on my wife who had never seen it before, so it must be at least 12 years since I played it. I like the one where he's "pretend" driving with the car on the back of a lorry - Possession, I think - I'll have to watch it again.
My copy of the video plays Green Shirt and half the next song then starts all over again. Does anyone else's? :)

Post by 10 »

Haha! Worst videos ever!

Well, I Wanna Be Loved was filmed in Flinders St Station, Melbourne, so I am reminded of this everyday on the way to work, so that's kinda cool I guess.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

In 1989 when I was getting into Costello, "The Man" video was a great primer before buying all the records. On my copy I've taped the videos for "...This Town...", "Other Side of Summer" and "Sulky Girl" at the end, like a good little fan.

Am I stating the obvious by saying that New York was once New Amsterdam...
Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night

Every gal in Constantinople
Lives in Istanbul, not Constantinople
So if you've a date in Constantinople
She'll be waiting in Istanbul

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say
People just liked it better that way

So take me back to Constantinople
No, you can't go back to Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Why did Constantinople get the works?
That's nobody's business but the Turks
DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
double dutchess

Um, as for my New Amsterdam statue of liberty comment, I meant that the last shot was clearly stating the obvious that the song is about New York, but I think it would have been better if they had filmed something that conveyed a sense of the past, while evoking a sense of alienation. (I sound like a mediocre film student... :roll: )

I forgot to mention Green Shirt! Doesn't it look like they really wanted to make a video, but were out of ideas? It's like a TV show where they only show old clips from past episodes! They're all so much fun. Can anyone recommend a newer VHS or DVD?
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Yes, I thought I was being dumb. The point of the Green Shirt clip video is that GS was released as a single to promote "The Man" compilation in 1985 and obviously this was the cheapest way to cobble together a video for a six year old song.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

Hey, I don't have a life either..know if any of the older clips are available??
...even in a perfect world, where everyone was equal..
Watching_Detectives

Post by Watching_Detectives »

I love Elvis videos. They aren't filled with half naked 19 year olds like now a days. It seems like they all are having fun in the videos.
It nearly took a mircacle to get you to stay
It only took my little finger to blow you away.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

A good friend of mine sent me a copy of those videos and they are just wonderful. It is impossible, no matter how bad my mood might be, not to smile at the thought of those crazy guys dancing or Win A Date W/ Elvis.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

pip_52 wrote:I love those videos! Watching E and the Attractions attempt to dance brings a great amount of joy to my life.

:lol:
I love the video for ICSUFFD - The Attractions dancing is something to behold. It actually inspired me in the 1980s. Up until seeing that video I didn't believe anyone could dance worse than me.

My copy of the video has really low sound on Let Them All Talk. Maybe there's some irony I'm missing there...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Please tell me I'm not the only one who ff through The Only Flame? It is so, so bad. The only decent bit of acting Elvis has ever done is in the blubbering IWBL vid.
verbal gymnastics

PlaythingOrPet wrote:Please tell me I'm not the only one who ff through The Only Flame? It is so, so bad.
How can you say that Plaything? Surely Elvis' "You must be my date for this evening" is worthy of an award of some sort... :lol:

The only bit I like is the bit at the end when the girl kisses Pete and he twirls his drumsticks.

Great clothes and haircuts though (where's that sarcastic icon?)
HungupStrungup

Not that there's anything wrong with that . . . .

Post by HungupStrungup »

Watching_Detectives wrote:I love Elvis videos. They aren't filled with half naked 19 year olds like now a days. . . .
I hold nothing against half naked 19 year olds.

. . . . . unfortunately
(RIMSHOT)

Thank you thank you, you're too kind. I'll be here through Friday. Try the veal.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
verbal gymnastics

HungUp - after I read that some tumbleweed rolled across my computer screen :lol:
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

HungUp I saw the big space and was hoping for a saucy piccy to download... ah well.
PlaythingOrPet wrote:
Please tell me I'm not the only one who ff through The Only Flame? It is so, so bad.
How can you say that Plaything? Surely Elvis' "You must be my date for this evening" is worthy of an award of some sort...
How can you say that full stop PoP?...I've never ff'd, and I wanna know what the ff'ing experience is like. Do tell. :D

ff' sake
double dutchess

Maybe I'd ff through it if I'd had the chance to see it--where do you all get to see these videos? I've only got my one tape :(

And kimmy, I got The Best of Elvis Costello-The Man from Ebay. The only problem is, I can only find older compilations. The newer ones I've seen tend to be from the UK.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

oh...ff is fast forward....bloody acronyms!

I.F.L.A.R.T.N!