The Shape of Things

Pretty self-explanatory
laughingcrow

The Shape of Things

Post by laughingcrow »

Hey all...glad to be back, it seems that a couple of posts made on the day of the crash have dissapeared though...so Im reposting this, with the addendum that I have now seen this film.

Which I thoroughly reccomend...

Anyway, the EC songs in it as fas as I can remember are..

LOVERS WALK
PONY ST
LIP SERVICE
LOVE FIELD
WHEN I WAS CRUEL
*CANT REMEMBER*
RIOT ACT
MAN OUT OF TIME
LIPSTICK VOGUE
RADIO SILENCE
DOLL REVOLUTION

Most of Lovers Walk was played over the credits and then into the first act (being piped out over Rachel's earphones) and all of Doll Revolution was played over the end titles....the others were just the musical intros to the songs played at the start of each scene. Magic! I forgot one though...anyone remember what it was?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I haven't seen this. Wasn't sure it was even out here yet. Sure enough it's already out here on DVD. I went swimming through old threads trying to read up about it and here I am.

But anyway, IMDB lists the Elvis Costello songs in the film as being:

"Lover's Walk"
Written by Elvis Costello
Performed by Elvis Costello and The Attractions
Courtesy of Demon Music Group, Ltd., by Elvis Costello
By Arrangement with Rhino Entertainment Co. and Warner Special Products

"Riot Act"

"Pony Street"
Written and Performed by Elvis Costello
Courtesy of Warner Bros. Records, Inc.
By Arrangement with Warner Special Products

"Almost Ideal Eyes"
Courtesy of Warner Bros. Records, Inc.
By Arrangement with Warner Special Products

"This Year's Girl"

"Lipstick Vogue"

"Love Field"

"Man Out of Time"

"When I Wass Cruel No. 2"
Courtesy of Mercury Records Limited (London)

"Radio Silence"

"Tear Off Your Own Head (It's a Doll Revolution)"
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Dunno where I got Lip Service from then :oops: ? = This Year's Girl...

Must have been the excitement of seeing EC on the big screen...either that or I'm two waves short of a shipwreck.

You should see it Blue, it's good.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Wow -- I was just thinking it was one or two songs...I really need to check this out soon.....
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Misha

Post by Misha »

Bobster,

If you find it, keep me posted, as I can't believe the soundtrack either....saw the trailer on the net, but no Elvis on it.....how can that be!!???

:wink:
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
bobster

Post by bobster »

I think I actually saw it for rent at my vid store last week -- so many movies to see, so little time....
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

is the shape of things the title to the movie?excuse my ignorance.

sidebar:(not to derail the thread here) has anyone heard of this movie called napoleon dynamite? its gotta have something to do with ec.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Yeah, The Shape of Things is the title...it's guid, and not just cos it's got Rrrrachel Weisz innit! :wink:

Here's the lowdown on the Napoleon Dynamite film...the word's 'comedy' and 'teen' in the genre, set alarm bells ringing

Release Date: TBA 2004 (limited)

World Premiere: January, 2004 (Sundance Film Festival, in Dramatic Competition)

Title Note: (12/2/03) This movie shares its title from the pseudonym of "Napoleon Dynamite" that singer/songwriter Elvis Costello credited himself as for his 1986 album, 'Blood and Chocolate' (narrating the album under the guise of the fictional character). (12/8/03) Executive producer Jeremy Coon has written in to clarify that "the name is not derived from Elvis Costello and that the film has nothing to do w/ him. We got the name from a real person the director met while in Chicago several years ago which could be indirectly related to Costello, but we were not aware of the connection before we did the film." Makes sense to me... if I hadn't done a search on "Napoleon Dynamite" while preparing this preview page, I wouldn't have known about the Elvis Costello connection either.

Distributor: Currently seeking distribution in the USA

Production Company: Access Films, Napoleon Pictures Limited

Cast: Jon Heder (Napoleon Dynamite), Efren Ramirez (Pedro), Diedrich Bader (Rex), Haylie Duff (Summer), Jon Gries (Uncle Rico), Tina Majorino (Deb), Aaron Ruell (Kip), Shondrella Avery (LaFawnduh), Carmen Brady (Starla), Ellen Dubin (Ilene), Emily Kennard (Trisha), Sandy Martin (Grandma), Trevor Snarr (Don)

Director: Jared Hess (feature debut)

Screenwriter: Jared Hess and Jerusha Hess (feature debut of the husband/wife team)

Based Upon: (12/2/03) This film is based upon a 9-minute short film directed by Jared Hess called "Peluca" which screened at the Slamdance Film Festival in Park City in January, 2003. "Peluca" was also filmed in Preston, Idaho over the course of two days on a budget of just $500, and using grainy black & white 16mm film. The cast of "Peluca" was entirely from Preston (mostly high school kids), except Jon Heder, who reprises his character in this movie (although his character's name has been changed from "Seth" to "Napoleon Dynamite").

Premise: Napoleon Dynamite (Heder) is a quirky teenager growing up in the remotes of Idaho with a love for dancing and the way of the ninja who's really just trying to understand his life while living with his Uncle Rico (Gries), whose shady business deals are just some of the things that make Napoleon's social life in small-town Idaho all the more difficult (Majorino plays Napoleon's nerdy best friend.)

Filming: Production started on July 8th, 2003 in the small town of Preston, Idaho (where the Hess brothers are from) and wrapped up a little over three weeks later on August 1st, 2003.

Genre: Comedy, Teen
bobster

Post by bobster »

As I wrote elsewhere, far more frightening that the words "teen comedy" is the word "quirky"... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
A rope leash

I can't wait for The Little Hands of Concrete...

Post by A rope leash »

Do you suppose that, waiting hands on eyes, Elvis will get a check for this?
bobster

Post by bobster »

Well, certainly for ""The Shape of Things" or Neil Labute will be sued mercilessly and have to turn in his EC fan membership and decoder ring.

Napoleon Dynamite, possibly not. They sort of deny the connection -- I also thing that name can't really be copyrighted. (Titles can't be copyrighted) -- though if EC sued, I'd think he'd have far more legs to stand on than Spike Lee's rather stupid lawsuit against Spike TV. My guess is, I bet they cleared it with EC's people just to be on the safe side and some small amount of money might eventualy change hands.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.sltrib.com/2004/Jan/01192004/utah/130531.asp

Utahn's 'Napoleon Dynamite' debuts at Sundance with a bang

By Sean P. Means
The Salt Lake Tribune

PARK CITY -- A Draper filmmaker's first feature drew cheers, laughter and a standing ovation in its premiere screening at the 2004 Sundance Film Festival.
"Napoleon Dynamite," by former Brigham Young University student Jared Hess, is a comedy about a dorky Idaho teen (played by Jon Heder) who triumphs over stuck-up classmates, a nerdy brother (Aaron Ruell) and an obnoxious uncle (Jon Gries) still trying to recapture his '80s glory days.
"We couldn't have had a better audience," Hess said Saturday after the show. "We're very excited."
On Sunday, several distributors were reportedly eyeing the film and a deal may be announced as early as today. In the meantime, the movie has spawned a fashion trend on Park City streets: campaign buttons saying, " Vote for Pedro" or "Vote for Summer" -- a reference to a student body election shown in the film.

The scene that drew the loudest response at screening was when Napoleon performs an impromptu disco routine for a school assembly. For Heder, 26, a BYU animation student from Salem, Ore., watching the scene was the most harrowing moment of the night.
"The whole film was going fine, and then the dance scene comes on and I'm going "oh, no," said Heder, who also choreographed his character's dance moves. "But the people liked it."
The movie was filmed in Hess' hometown of Preston, Idaho, and he employed several BYU friends for key crew positions. The cast is mostly unknowns, with the exception of Diedrich Bader ("The Drew Carey Show") as a karate instructor, former child actress Tina Majorino ("Corrina, Corrina") as Napoleon's female friend, and Haylie Duff (sister of "Lizzie McGuire" star Hilary Duff) as the school's most popular girl.
In the post-screening Q-and-A session, audience members commented on Hess' use of '80s fashion and music in a story set in 2004. "Part of the aesthetic of the film is the '80s, but that's kind of the style in Idaho right now," Hess said.

Though Elvis Costello fans may recognize the name from one of the singer's mid-'80s personas, Hess said Napoleon Dynamite was the name of someone he met while on his mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Chicago.
"He asked, 'How come you people are called elders?' " Hess said. "We asked 'What's your name, sir?' He said, 'My name's Napoleon Dynamite.' I thought, 'That is the freshest name I've ever heard.' "

"Napoleon Dynamite" has three more screenings during the festival, including a run Tuesday, 10 p.m., at the Broadway Centre Cinemas in Salt Lake City.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Everywhere I turn, suddenly, I keep hearing about Mormons, lapsed and otherwise, making indie films. (An NPR story about films made directly for the LDS market; a trailer for an upcoming gay-themed film about Mormon missionaries and, of course, Neil Labute!)

Anyhow, this just in....

In a late deal Sunday, Fox Searchlight acquired local filmmaker Jared Hess' "Napolean Dynamite" after a competitive session of bidding, leading to another multi-million-dollar deal. Cinetic Media sold the film to Fox after the movie's third screening on Sunday. Word of the pact spread at Cinetic's jam-packed party at Easy Street Sunday night with the film's large group of cast and crew celebrating downstairs. The comedy was produced by Jeremy Coon, Sean Covel, and Chris Wyatt and written by Hess and his wife Jerusha Hess.
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

I just watched this film last night...I thoroughly recommend it to everybody. It should be out on DVD/VHS in your local shop and it's well worth the price of a rental. Not just for the EC songs either (though that does add a little 'cool' factor)...check it out if you get a chance.
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
sweetest punch

Re: The Shape of Things

Post by sweetest punch »

The Shape Of Things is on YouTube now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4JSNJ3-0t4
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.