Liz Terrell covers Almost Blue

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Liz Terrell covers Almost Blue

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/its-all-ri ... nt-records

Liz Terrell: It's All Right With Me

When Liz Terrell sings something, you believe it. Adding her own strength of expression to every piece she touches, communicating with absolute earnestness, and offering a sound all her own, she makes every melody and musical gesture matter. On this, her debut album, Terrell puts her powerful pipes to great use on an incredibly diverse collection of songs that highlight broad interests and influences. And with a solid band behind her, everything lands as it should.

Opening on "People Make the World Go Round," Terrell seduces while moving from a slow-cooker soul setting to shifts between a light Latin-ized feel and straight-time solidity. One of a number of arrangements from frequent collaborator/bassist Chris Brydge, it proves to be the perfect launch pad for Terrell's talents. Then she plays it cool (at first) on the title track, a number that features some sly solo work from saxophonist Eddie Williams and moves to the brink of a boiling point before backing off; makes it a Cole Porter twofer with a "Night and Day" follow-up, working from a free-time intro to swinging comforts highlighting guitarist Alan Parker's work; and takes "Blue Monk" for a slow stroll down an azure avenue.

In the tracks that follow that opening run, Terrell looks to numerous styles, sources and eras. There's tastefully-tweaked '80s pop in the form of Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time," three Fats Waller gems wrapped in a bow as a medley, Elvis Costello's standard-esque "Almost Blue" (delivered in a duo with pianist Daniel Clarke), a caffeinated "Don't Get Around Much Anymore," and a dip into the respective songbooks of Cy Coleman and Joseph McCarthy, Jr., Burt Bacharach and Hal David, and Duke Ellington (with Bob Russell lyrics). Demonstrating a strong kinship with Williams, Clarke, Parker, Brydge and drummer Emre Kartari, Terrell demonstrates what teamwork is all about. And by willingly offering herself to these songs, and, conversely, taking ownership of each, she makes a serious impression—the first of many, hopefully—as a singer and leader.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
jardine

Re: Liz Terrell covers Almost Blue

Post by jardine »

"standard-esque" I can't for the life of me decide what i think of this term...almost cool...almost
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

jardine wrote:"standard-esque" I can't for the life of me decide what i think of this term...almost cool...almost
It seems like the reviewer can’t bear to think Elvis might just have written a classic tune -as if :roll: :roll: l
jardine

Post by jardine »

also seems the review has never met a [often mixed] metaphor they don't like...

“gems wrapped in a bow”
“the brink of a boiling point”

And my very favorite:
“a slow stroll down an azure avenue”

all things consider, i guess standard-esque ain't that bad
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Not a big fan of that, if honest. An exercise in stretching every syllable to maximum length to squeeze out some emotion. Much prefer Elvis' lighter touch approach to singing it. It's an incredible song, so let the song do the work.
jardine

Post by jardine »

"let the song do the work." perfectly put.