‘….Stories, Questions And Some Surprises…' Elvis Costello in Bexhill-on-Sea, June 2, 2022

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

‘….Stories, Questions And Some Surprises…' Elvis Costello in Bexhill-on-Sea, June 2, 2022

Post by Man out of Time »

An In conversation event at the De La Warr Pavilion in Bexhill-on-Sea on Monday June 2, 2022.
Look-Hear-Listen-Now  Bexhill-on-Sea
Look-Hear-Listen-Now Bexhill-on-Sea
2022-06-02 Bexhill red.jpg (68.2 KiB) Viewed 5904 times
"Music's Not Dead are delighted to announce a very special evening to celebrate the release of Elvis Costello's new album 'The Boy Named If'.

General On-sale: Friday 17 December – 10am

CD + Ticket £18
Black Vinyl 2LP + Ticket £38
Purple 2 LP + Ticket £38
Ticket Only £14

On January 14th, 2022, Elvis Costello and The Imposters release, ‘The Boy Named If,’ a new album of urgent, immediate songs with bright melodies, guitar solos that sting and a quick step to the rhythm.

Costello tell us, ”The full title of this record is ‘The Boy Named If (And Other Children’s Stories).’ ‘IF,’ is a nickname for your imaginary friend; your secret self, the one who knows everything you deny, the one you blame for the shattered crockery and the hearts you break, even your own.”

Produced by Sebastian Krys & Elvis Costello – the album is a collection of thirteen snapshots, “That take us from the last days of a bewildered boyhood to that mortifying moment when you are told to stop acting like a child – which for most men (and perhaps a few gals too) can be any time in the next fifty years,” as Costello put it.

[It would be great if you would consider buying an album bundle rather than a single ticket (approx £4.00 more to get a CD), This really helps us and the Band/Artist and we’ll be able to put on more great events like this]"

https://www.dlwp.com/event/elvis-costello/

Who's going?

MOOT
Man out of Time

Re: ‘….Stories, Questions And Some Surprises…' Elvis Costello in Bexhill-on-Sea, June 2, 2022

Poster of future Attractions. EC "Down Among The Wines And Spirits"
De La Warr Pavilion Bexhill poster
De La Warr Pavilion Bexhill poster
2022-05-00 Bexhill poster RRR.jpg (205.09 KiB) Viewed 4684 times
MOOT
Goon Squad

Re: ‘….Stories, Questions And Some Surprises…' Elvis Costello in Bexhill-on-Sea, June 2, 2022

Post by Goon Squad »

Man out of Time wrote:Poster of future Attractions. EC "Down Among The Wines And Spirits"

2022-05-00 Bexhill poster RRR.jpg

MOOT
I’m still wondering what “the surprises” will be. :?
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Surely an acoustic guitar will be involved?
This is a lovely venue, shame it's 293ish miles from where I live!!!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I was wondering if Pete will show up. Assuming his parents still live in Brighton, I hope he’d take the opportunity to be there, particularly as the tour starts in Brighton.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
FrankieJ

Post by FrankieJ »

Unfortunately I’m not sure I can attend. It’s on the jubilee bank holiday weekend and I can’t find anywhere to stay overnight before my travels to the Brighton gig.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Having heard from friends who attended the Leeds show I am looking forward to this so much. I can’t wait to hear about Nottingham tonight.

Great that the guitar and piano are out too.

Interesting that it is only him on stage rather than the conventional interview format. I wondered if he was inspired by Bruce Springsteen's show on Broadway.

Hard to see Elvis sticking to the same show every night though, although I thought that about Bruce.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Man out of Time

A good night in Bexhill-on-Sea with good company.

We had a lot of songs, some chat and some questions. The songs were as follows:

01. The Difference
02. Dishonor The Stars
03. Almost Blue - (audience request)
04. Isabelle In Tears
05. We Are All Cowards Now
06. Maud Gone Wrong
07. Ghost Train - (one verse leading into Rusty's recording of Maureen & Sam)
08. new song possibly called Maybe Just This Once
09. Mr. Crescent
Encore 1
10. Broken Promise Land
11. Shipbuilding
Encore 2
12. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down - on piano
13. A Case Of You - on piano

Almost Blue followed an audience question about why the song Almost Blue was not on the album Almost Blue, and appeared on Imperial Bedroom, whilst the song Imperial Bedroom did not. Once Elvis had cleared that up, someone shouted for him to play "Almost Blue", and he did.

The new song was an impromptu decision. He said that he would play a song from TBNI, but then seemed to change his mind. The song could be taken from A Face In The Crowd. It references "Benjamin" (possibly Benjamin Franklin) and also US President Lyndon Johnson. It starts off with a line about a Lobster Thermidor and Singapore Sling. Elvis did not give it a title.

Apart from plugging A Boy Named If, and The Resurrection of Rust, Elvis also mentioned that he and the Imposters had rehearsed for their forthcoming UK tour in Memphis, following their appearance at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. Presumably this was a return to Memphis Magnetic studios - apparently Sebastian Krys was also there (although Elvis did not say this), so it is possible that they did some recording too.

So now on to the start of the UK Tour proper in Brighton on Sunday....

MOOT