EC's 'Kojak Variety' vs. JJ's 'Jumpin' Jive'

Pretty self-explanatory
ice nine

EC's 'Kojak Variety' vs. JJ's 'Jumpin' Jive'

Post by ice nine »

I know its very unfair to compare two different artists and their albums, but...(like one prof. told me 'When two statements are linked by the word 'but' that means the first statement can be disregarded')

I first owned Jumpin' Jive because I like Joe and Cab Calloway. It is my opinion, and I could be wrong, that Joe started the whole revival swing music scene.

Kojak is good, but I do prefer Jumpin'. How could you not like a song titled 'What's The Use Of Getting Sober (When You're Gonna Get Drunk Again)'?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Interesting thread idea, but I never liked Jumpin Jive much and it killed off my interest in JJ until Laughter and Lust.

KV was not much kop either and it way down my list of Elvis records. I would probably put it plumb last. I played it a little when it came out and there are a few nice efforst on it, but it is easily the least played of his albums in my house.
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Well, I suppose I'll stick my neck out on this one.

I love Kojak Variety. I remember the weekend almost eight years ago - before my husband and I were married - when we were deciding about what the future held for us as a couple. There were a lot of big decisions to make - moving, jobs, kids, etc. We took some time that heavy-thinking afternoon to run some mindless errands, one of which included stopping by the used cd store. That was the day he found Kojak Variety.

At the time I was not a fan, but I decided to just listen and try to enjoy it. I was hooked the first time I heard it. I'll never forget those life-changing plans we made that weekend while "Remove this Doubt" and "I Threw It All Away" were playing. And just when the thoughts got too heavy, we hear "Bama Lama Bama Loo."

Perhaps my love of this cd is greatly because of that weekend, but aside from that, it is a wonderful collection of songs that Elvis liked and truly wanted to sing. The liner notes, as always, are interesting and filled with facts about the songs and their original recordings. This is the first EC album that I ever played all the way through, and it was still years before I would become a real fan.
Jackson Doofster

Good on you Spooks. For everyone who dislikes an EC song or album, there are 10 that disagree. Having said that, I don't really dislike KV, it's just not one of my personal favourites. Actually, it isn't last on my list. That honour would go to the Bill Frissell collaboration.
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

"Kojak Variety" didn't really grab me on first listen, but has since become a personal favorite, especially when driving...

So, I guess you can say it "grew" on me....kinda like mold??
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
girl out of time

KV it is!

Post by girl out of time »

KV is the first Costello´s record that i actually bought and kept!!!!!! the thing is that before that i had bought other ec records (at least 3, including armed forces) and not quite liking them returned them or changed them for something else......
....´til one day it was KV´s turn and i gotta tell ya I JUST LOVED IT......couldn´t stop listening to it.....and ironically that was the record that introduced me to the rest of his music (I KNOW, I KNOW....an album of covers)....from then on....it was a complete costellomania for me.....in less than five months i got completely hooked and got his full discography.....so.... LONG LIVE KV!!!!!!!!!!!

......plus, KV includes one of my all-time favourite songs- The Very Thought of You. EC´s version is by far the greatest vocal performance of that song ever!!!!!
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I must admit, I like Kojak! Just not too crazy about when Elvis spazzes out on Leave My Kitten Alone...that's horrible...but REMOVE THIS DOUBT...one of my favorite Elvis performances. It HAS to be better than Juliette Letters...I've never even made it through that CD once in its entirety!!!!....that says a lot, because Elvis is my favorite performer. If anyone wants my copy of Juliette Letters...just drop by and pick it up.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

i'm w/ cope, at least until he starts chattering about Juliet Letters, which i haven't heard yet.

cope, i'll be over *real soon* to get that disc. :)

(not. unfortunately. no overseas travel in the near future, darn it.)
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Okay, Cope. You really should be a sport and mail your TJL to Poppet. It's just positively sinful for a copy of that to go to waste. It's too bad you don't appreciate it for the nice work that it is, but I know each person has their opinion. But let Poppet hear it so she can decide for herself.

Put that puppy in the mail, Cope! Poppet is waiting! :)
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I really dig KV, but I must say I'm not the most discriminating EC fan (if he releases it, I like it, etc.) KV came out when I was living in an awesome small apartment in the heart of the French Quarter in New Orleans. I was in 'Pirate's Alley' which is right behind the Cabildo (houses the Louisiana Purchase), next door to the apartment where Faulkner wrote his first stories, and across the street from the 3rd floor apartment that Tennessee Williams wrote his timeless plays. Every time I hear it I think of Robin and I sitting on our balcony (really a fire escape) and watching the madness from above with KV in the background. Lovely, lovely sensory memories still.
Jackson Doofster

Girl out of Time

I much prefer his live version of The Very Thought of You on the Chet Baker at Ronnie Scotts video (Hendring) . He does a slightly faster version that I love. If nobody has this video, they should try and pick up a copy. EC does a medley of

You don't Know What Love is/The Very Thought of You/I'm a Fool to Want You.

Three great torch songs and a natty 80s haircut as well.

oh, nearly forgot, Van appears also doing a great version of Send in The Clowns. Muffs his lines too, which is quite funny.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Kojack Variety is the only EC record I have not heard.....and that's been bugging me! I have never seen this record anywhere except on e-bay. Is it hard to find?
I liked The Juliet Letters. :)
What I didn't like was For The Stars!! I couldn't make heads or tales of that and could not understand why (I read somewhere, maybe in the liner notes) Elvis was so taken by Anne Sofie Von Otter! I pretty much like just about everything Elvis has put out, but FTS was a BOMB!
I'm not angry anymore....
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Not to get off the conversational track of this thread, but the thing you must remember about Elvis is that he records what he wants to because it interests him. He'll tell you up front that "you can like it or not, but the worst that you'll do is be exposed to a different kind of music." I have listened to FTS, and although it doesn't go down as a favorite, he enjoyed what he did and it was a challenge for him. I love EC, so I respect him for that feeling.

The same holds true for Kojak Variety - he liked those particular songs, so he wanted to record them himself. It's what he wanted to do. I can't say that I had to hunt this album down, because my husband was the initial EC fan and I was lucky enough to inherit the use of the cd's when I committed myself to marital bliss, but I would encourage you to give this one a listen.
Jackson Doofster

Re: For the Stars

Many EC fans seem to dislike it intensely - I take it for what it is. Not really an EC album, but one he had a lot to do with.......the midwife if you like.

The album contains some great Elvis songs and people either love or hate Von Otter's voice. Personally I think Green Song is one of his best songs and I love the way his voice contrasts with her cut glass.

The title track is a very personal song and the only problem with it is that it is too short. No Wonder is a great opener with a memorable lyric ..."I took a glance at my reflection, though these days I tend to hurry by.."

I also enjoy Rope, Junk and the version of April After All.

I hate her version of Don't Talk(put your head..), but especially the way she murders 'I Want to Vanish' - she sanitises it to the point of souless elevator music.

On the whole though, I quite like most of it. :)
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

spooky girlfriend wrote: He'll tell you up front that "you can like it or not, but the worst that you'll do is be exposed to a different kind of music." I have listened to FTS, and although it doesn't go down as a favorite, he enjoyed what he did and it was a challenge for him. I love EC, so I respect him for that feeling.
Oh definately, Spooky. A big part of my admiration for Elvis is that he does what he wants and you can take it or leave it. He's not some music label's lackey. I have great respect for that. Very cool. 8)
I'm not angry anymore....
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

For The Stars should have just been called a "Von Otter" record. He just did the gentlemanly thing, I suppose, and helped her out.

Ute Lemper -- for those who haven't heard her album "Punishing Kiss", featuring some EC, Tom Waits, Nick Cave (and others) tunes, she's a far far better listen than Von Otter in my opinion. Punishing Kiss, the song itself (by EC), is first class.