C & N New York 1996 2CD - legit?

Pretty self-explanatory
WindUpWorld

C & N New York 1996 2CD - legit?

Post by WindUpWorld »

Sorry to start a new topic everyone but I saw the tax dodgers website has for sale a 2CD of the Costello and Nieve 1996 New York full set, part of which made up the C&N box set back then. Does anyone know if it's legit? I would perhaps like to get it but not if the money is going to gangsters and thieves obviously - and not if it's shoddy frankly.
sulky lad

Re: C & N New York 1996 2CD - legit?

Post by sulky lad »

This hasn't been released commercially so is probably a bootleg -the late show from 22 May is available from the wiki as FLAC files and the early show was released as a bootleg set called Between Wisdom And Murder. I'm sure there are people who have this and could let you have a copy without any expenditure on your part :wink:
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Agree with everything SL said, but just to add that in recent years the line between 'official' and 'bootleg' has blurred considerably, with all kinds of 'unofficial' live and radio broadcasts appearing quite happily on Amazon and other mainstream retail sites. If you just idly flick through the Amazon listings for the kind of artists who would attract this kind of thing (EC, Springsteen, Dylan), you'll find a whole bunch of unofficial live shows and radio broadcasts quite openly advertised.

The ads never seem to get taken down, and Amazon seem quite happy to list them. So I can only assume that (a) the major labels have given up trying to fight this kind of thing; or (b) there's some kind of legal grey area between 'official' and 'bootleg' which enables these releases to be advertised. If SL can sort you out, go for it! But if not, just search Amazon for 'Elvis Costello' and you'll see the CD you mention as the third listing, below 'Hey Clockface' and 'Look Now'. For £10!

Plus, of course, there are those who would argue that, if you pay your money to a major label/record company, it's still going to 'gangsters and thieves'! :lol:
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

I bought this not really thinking about the thieves angle. Its very good quality and a great set having said that
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sheeptotheslaughter wrote:I bought this not really thinking about the thieves angle. Its very good quality and a great set having said that

as I had only gotten tickets to the late show, (IT SOLD OUT QUICKLY if i recall), i prefer the late show. they were HOT that night. but, i think the early show was indeed a radio broadcast. hence, the promos that came from the big 5 cities (ALL radio broadcasts??) that then featured in the commercial box set. yes, do not pay for it when someone could help you get it acquired i would bet.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I’ll dig out my bootleg and check it, pm your email and I’ll Wetransfer it if the boot is still playable !
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Wish I'd seen the late show. I was at the early show, which was "challenging." Lots of idiots in the crowd--shouting, talking during the performance. EC was peeved, as was I.
Harry Lime

Post by Harry Lime »

Arbogast wrote:Wish I'd seen the late show. I was at the early show, which was "challenging." Lots of idiots in the crowd--shouting, talking during the performance. EC was peeved, as was I.
Oh yeah, I remember that. Lots of industry people at the bar talking throughout the performance. He finally called them out during God's Comic, I think. I'm surprised they were able to get that many songs onto the CD--must've been a good editor fading down all those miscreants in the mix.
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?