Elvis in Mojo #324

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis in Mojo #324

Postby sweetest punch » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:47 am

https://www.mojo4music.com/articles/moj ... 2020-queen

Elvis Costello, the hardest working singer in lockdown.

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.

krm

Re: Elvis in Mojo #324

Postby krm » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:16 am

CONTENTS MOJO 324

COVER STORY: QUEEN Brian May and Roger Taylor help MOJO immerse in Bohemian Rhapsody, history’s most outrageous rock song, 45 years young. The back story! The legacy! Plus their new live album and a photo portfolio by Neal Preston.

COVERMOUNT CD: ESCAPE FROM REALITY Fifteen tracks pushing rock and pop’s ambition envelope, tipping a cap to our cover stars. Songs by Sparks, Todd Rundgren, Rufus Wainwright, XTC, John Grant, Os Mutantes, The Flaming Lips and more.

JOHN LENNON Unseen photographs of the Beatle at work and play – and the inside skinny on the new mixes of his best work: an 80th birthday present from his son, Sean.

RAY DAVIES The Kinks’ tormented mainman on Lola, lockdown, love and lyrics. “It’s a way of withdrawing from the world, being a songwriter,” he tells Jim Irvin.

ECHO AND THE BUNNYMEN Celebrating “40 Years Of Magical Songs” with the scaly tale of their debut album: Crocodiles. Plus: Wayne Coyne, Chris Martin and ‘The Hoff’ pay tribute.

ELVIS COSTELLO Enter the Renaissance Man of pop, bearing a new album and a definitive Armed Forces redux. How was his recent visit to the Palace? “Nobody was unpleasant.”

SUN RA Music that was beyond jazz, a personality (literally?) out of this world: bandmates remember Herman Blount’s genius and fight for his legacy.

THIS IS THE KIT With her fifth album of cosmopolitan post-folk, Kate Stables comes out of her shell in style. “I found it easier to have a conversation in song,” she says.

ORBITAL How their spine-tingling 1990 single Chime turned rave into music for homes and producers into artists. The Hartnolls, and more, get in MOJO’s Tardis.

REVIEWED Lou Reed / Thin Lizzy / Matt Berninger / Roger Waters / PJ Harvey / Alicia Keys / Kevin Morby / Songhoy Blues / Jack Nitzsche / Working Men’s Club / A Certain Ratio / Elliott Smith / The Replacements / Future Islands / Black Sabbath / Laura Veirs / Split Enz / Garcia Peoples / Makaya McCraven / Anna Von Hausswolff / Travis / Fleetwood Mac / Joachim Cooder / Loudon Wainwright III / Emmy The Great / Sufjan Stevens

PLUS Sinead O’Connor returns / The Mighty Sparrow, 85 not out / Denise Sherwood and Psychic Temple introduce themselves / Nirvana’s 1989 / How To Buy… Oasis / 10cc – the beginning and the end / Jon Hassell drops in / Kevin Rowland by his own hand / Bob Gruen’s punk pix / Norman Pilcher – scourge of the spliff-smoking ’60s rockerati / All Back To Robert Plant’s!

Lester Burnham

Postby Lester Burnham » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:19 am

Armed Forces redux? Very interesting!

jardine

Postby jardine » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:55 am

spanish?

Hawksmoor

Postby Hawksmoor » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:35 pm

jardine wrote:spanish?

It's possible. On balance, I'd put my money down on a deluxe box-set with all the bonus tracks from the 2002 Rhino set plus a bunch of other demos/out-takes, and Hollywood High as a separate disc. First time I ever saw him live, March1980, he definitely did an instrumental version of 'Moods for Moderns', that'd be fun to hear.

bronxapostle

Postby bronxapostle » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:45 pm

Hawksmoor wrote:

It's possible. On balance, I'd put my money down on a deluxe box-set with all the bonus tracks from the 2002 Rhino set plus a bunch of other demos/out-takes, and Hollywood High as a separate disc.

didn't we get HOLLYWOOD HIGH completely as a stand alone release in between SECRET, PROFANE and NATIONAL RANSOM???

Hawksmoor

Postby Hawksmoor » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:59 pm

bronxapostle wrote:
Hawksmoor wrote:

It's possible. On balance, I'd put my money down on a deluxe box-set with all the bonus tracks from the 2002 Rhino set plus a bunch of other demos/out-takes, and Hollywood High as a separate disc.

didn't we get HOLLYWOOD HIGH completely as a stand alone release in between SECRET, PROFANE and NATIONAL RANSOM???

Heh. We did, but then, prior to that, several tracks from it made up part of the 2002 Rhino bonus disc. Which could now be filled out with...some stuff we haven't heard before. And hey, why sell it to 'em once when you can sell it to 'em twice? I'm sure there will also be t-shirts, beer-mats and a special-edition 7" single of 'Goon Squad'. :D

sulky lad

Postby sulky lad » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:34 pm

Funny he didn't contact me about the 40 year anniversary live recordings :wink:
- 1979 had quite a few high quality soundboard/Pre FM concerts which would have tied in with the other re-re-releases with a live concert as the second disc.
There were a few tracks as bonuses from one of the Palomino Club shows in February 1979 so maybe the complete show might turn up.

wardo68

Postby wardo68 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:12 pm

Is he really the hardest working singer in lockdown? I mean, Steve Nieve streamed nearly daily from March, though he doesn't sing. I've been streaming nearly daily since March too, and I "sing", but nobody cares.

Hawksmoor

Postby Hawksmoor » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:09 pm

wardo68 wrote:Is he really the hardest working singer in lockdown? I mean, Steve Nieve streamed nearly daily from March, though he doesn't sing. I've been streaming nearly daily since March too, and I "sing", but nobody cares.

Nowhere near the 'hardest working singer in lockdown', no, but on the other hand, he has been relatively 'busy'. A regular contributor to Steve's streamed sessions, a brand-new LP (OK, mostly recorded pre-lockdown, but a certain amount of work has gone into editing and producing it). The regular 'single' releases online, the '50 Days' thing - and, crucially, all of these are accompanied by lengthy online annotations, definitely written by EC himself.

OK, not the hardest-working. But for a guy who is (presumably) a multi-millionaire, and doesn't actually need to work again, ever, I'd say he's been keeping himself relatively busy! :D

And No Coffee Table

Postby And No Coffee Table » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:51 am

From Mojo:

But mostly he’s been busy working. Really busy. “It’s obvious that not everybody fares well with isolation,” he says, but clearly he’s not among them: “I’ve written four scripts and I’m hard at work on a huge stack of songs” – a couple of them for a collaboration with Tommy McLain, the now-80-year-old Louisiana singer who did the version of Sweet Dreams that Costello covered on 1981’s Almost Blue. There’s another project with New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the upcoming Armed Forces box set reissue he’s been overseeing and for which he’s writing a new set of notes. But the pièce de résistance is a brand new album, his 31st, the 14-song Hey Clockface.

Man out of Time

Postby Man out of Time » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:27 pm

And No Coffee Table wrote:From Mojo:

“I’ve written four scripts and I’m hard at work on a huge stack of songs” – a couple of them for a collaboration with Tommy McLain, the now-80-year-old Louisiana singer who did the version of Sweet Dreams that Costello covered on 1981’s Almost Blue.

In April 2010, Elvis joined Tommy McLain onstage at the House of Blues Parish, in New Orleans. They sang a version of "Before I Grow Old". You can see two clips here:

Interesting to speculate what style Elvis is writing in for this collaboration. Presumably more like his work with The Sugarcanes than anything he has written or recorded recently?

MOOT

Return to “Elvis Costello General Discussion”