50 Songs For 50 Days - Elvis Costello's October Surprise

Pretty self-explanatory
User avatar
verbal gymnastics
Posts: 12275
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:44 am
Location: here at Traitors Gate

Re: 50 Songs For 50 Days - Elvis Costello's October Surprise

Postby verbal gymnastics » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:27 am

Ymaginatif wrote:Sounds like a very slow way to put up a playlist on Spotify :)

I hope that it will be something more than just that - dragged out over 50 days.


Absolutely. I guess the main interest is that for fans we know Elvis is directly involved in doing this.
It’s such a shame you had to break the heart you could have counted on

Hawksmoor
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:51 pm

Re: 50 Songs For 50 Days - Elvis Costello's October Surprise

Postby Hawksmoor » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:14 am

verbal gymnastics wrote:Absolutely. I guess the main interest is that for fans we know Elvis is directly involved in doing this.

For sure. But in fairness to him, he has taken more of an interest in the online presentation of his music than many other artists, for quite some time now. The 'sleeve notes' that have appeared on the website for 'Look Now', the 'Purse' EP, the 'Hey Clockface' LP and, now for '50 Days', are long, detailed, interesting, and obviously written by EC himself.

Not many artists are doing that. When I'm talking to non-fans (or indeed, to people who are fans of other artists), one of the points on which I will always champion EC is that, for an artist of his age and career-point, he remains passionately interested in his own songs, in a way which I think few other artists really are.

User avatar
docinwestchester
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:58 pm
Location: Westchester County, NY

Re: 50 Songs For 50 Days - Elvis Costello's October Surprise

Postby docinwestchester » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:29 am

Spotify is amazing. I've used the premium version for about 5 years. Worth every bit of the $9.99/month.

(actually I pay $14.99/month for 4 separate accounts - the family plan)

I still buy some physical media, just to support the artists, but almost never listen to it.

Hawksmoor
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:51 pm

Re: 50 Songs For 50 Days - Elvis Costello's October Surprise

Postby Hawksmoor » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:40 pm

bronxapostle wrote:i want....FAR FROM THE PRIZE!!!

With you. Perhaps the most poignant and beautiful of all his (so far) unreleased songs. Years ago - well, decades ago - I remember somebody, think it was Chris Difford - doing a 'my personal top ten' in Smash Hits or whatever. He included 'Stranger in the House' and said 'it scares me to sleep'. I feel that about about 'Far From the Prize'.

bronxapostle
Posts: 4373
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:27 pm

Re: 50 Songs For 50 Days - Elvis Costello's October Surprise

Postby bronxapostle » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:19 pm

Hawksmoor wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:i want....FAR FROM THE PRIZE!!!

With you. Perhaps the most poignant and beautiful of all his (so far) unreleased songs. Years ago - well, decades ago - I remember somebody, think it was Chris Difford - doing a 'my personal top ten' in Smash Hits or whatever. He included 'Stranger in the House' and said 'it scares me to sleep'. I feel that about about 'Far From the Prize'.



I will dig up one of my brilliant analogue recordings and share here before long. Promise!!

User avatar
Harry Worth
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:45 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: 50 Songs For 50 Days - Elvis Costello's October Surprise

Postby Harry Worth » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:23 pm

I share the disquiet of others of EC championing Spotify, but I'll just have to get over myself I suppose. I've got the 'free' Spotify - I've had it for ages but rarely use it. It's shuffling the tracks and adding others :(

The David Byrne book is all very good, not just the chapter on the tiny amount of money per play artists receive from streaming services!

User avatar
docinwestchester
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:58 pm
Location: Westchester County, NY

Re: 50 Songs For 50 Days - Elvis Costello's October Surprise

Postby docinwestchester » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:51 pm

Harry Worth wrote: I've got the 'free' Spotify - I've had it for ages but rarely use it. It's shuffling the tracks and adding others :(


The free version is awful. If you pay, there’s none of that nonsense.

Hawksmoor
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:51 pm

Re: 50 Songs For 50 Days - Elvis Costello's October Surprise

Postby Hawksmoor » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:43 am

Harry Worth wrote:The David Byrne book is all very good, not just the chapter on the tiny amount of money per play artists receive from streaming services!

Isn't it just? I love his idea that Southern hemisphere music developed as percussive/melodic because it was played outdoors and the sound had to travel a long way, whereas Northern hemisphere music developed as harmonic/reverberative because it was bouncing back off the walls of a building.

sweetest punch
Posts: 4354
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:49 am
Location: Belgium

Re: 50 Songs For 50 Days - Elvis Costello's October Surprise

Postby sweetest punch » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:26 am

No. 4 - Jimmie Standing In The Rain

“Eyes going in and out of focus
Mild and bitter from tuberculosis
Forgotten man
Indifferent nation”

From “National Ransom”
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.

jardine
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: 50 Songs For 50 Days - Elvis Costello's October Surprise

Postby jardine » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:16 am

Just a thought linking to another thread. Looking at these lyrics, thinking of the depth of ECs plunges in to the woes of the world, his regular singing of PLU makes more and more sense. It has that lovely twist -- 'What's so funny. . . ?" -- which makes it near to his own twists, but its plea out from under the weight of many of his own songs...I'm now not surprised that he sings it so often. And now, I'm glad he does.

bronxapostle
Posts: 4373
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:27 pm

Re: 50 Songs For 50 Days - Elvis Costello's October Surprise

Postby bronxapostle » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:57 am

Hawksmoor wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:i want....FAR FROM THE PRIZE!!!

With you. Perhaps the most poignant and beautiful of all his (so far) unreleased songs. Years ago - well, decades ago - I remember somebody, think it was Chris Difford - doing a 'my personal top ten' in Smash Hits or whatever. He included 'Stranger in the House' and said 'it scares me to sleep'. I feel that about about 'Far From the Prize'.


https://youtu.be/cqY-kcbFoUg

Hawksmoor
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:51 pm

Re: 50 Songs For 50 Days - Elvis Costello's October Surprise

Postby Hawksmoor » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:22 am

bronxapostle wrote:https://youtu.be/cqY-kcbFoUg

Well, there you go.

Made me cry.

Nice work. How much felt emotion is behind those three or four lines?

bronxapostle
Posts: 4373
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:27 pm

Re: 50 Songs For 50 Days - Elvis Costello's October Surprise

Postby bronxapostle » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:40 am

Achingly beautiful for such a short piece of music. One short verse, two chorus and then done. Maybe he felt he never finished it??? but, i say PERFECT as is. AND assuredly, anyone who has never heard it (and I imagine that is many as he had only played it a dozen or so times and all in 1996!) deserves to enjoy it as much as we do Hawk, yes? I just hope EC doesn't mind my share here.
HE TOO SHOULD SHARE THIS TAKE!!

Hawksmoor
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:51 pm

Re: 50 Songs For 50 Days - Elvis Costello's October Surprise

Postby Hawksmoor » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:11 pm

bronxapostle wrote:Achingly beautiful for such a short piece of music. One short verse, two chorus and then done. Maybe he felt he never finished it??? but, i say PERFECT as is. AND assuredly, anyone who has never heard it (and I imagine that is many as he had only played it a dozen or so times and all in 1996!) deserves to enjoy it as much as we do Hawk, yes? I just hope EC doesn't mind my share here.
HE TOO SHOULD SHARE THIS TAKE!!

I'm really grateful for it. The only version I had, previously, had some audible audience chatter. Bless you.

bronxapostle
Posts: 4373
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:27 pm

Re: 50 Songs For 50 Days - Elvis Costello's October Surprise

Postby bronxapostle » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:38 pm

I was lucky to see it the 3 1996 shows i attended in D.C. and NYC twice. My quick listens to share this expeditiously for you this morning had me judge this one best. MAY I ASK HAWK....despite not being audiophile quality, my SONY cassette has a certain charn, yes? My age old comparison...IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE THERE!!

sweetest punch
Posts: 4354
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:49 am
Location: Belgium

Re: 50 Songs For 50 Days - Elvis Costello's October Surprise

Postby sweetest punch » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:57 am

No. 5 Night Rally

“They're putting all your names
In the forbidden book
I know what they're doing
But I don't want to look”

From 'This Year’s Model'
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.

Hawksmoor
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:51 pm

Re: 50 Songs For 50 Days - Elvis Costello's October Surprise

Postby Hawksmoor » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:06 pm

bronxapostle wrote:I was lucky to see it the 3 1996 shows i attended in D.C. and NYC twice. My quick listens to share this expeditiously for you this morning had me judge this one best. MAY I ASK HAWK....despite not being audiophile quality, my SONY cassette has a certain charn, yes? My age old comparison...IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE THERE!!

Heh heh, absolutely. My previous copy of that particular song had, as background ambience, two blokes arguing because one had been to the bar for some drinks, and the other thought that he was pushing in front of him. I can never hear the song now without hearing, after Elvis' last line, a disembodied voice saying 'oh, so I just floated in, did I?'

The little things that fans treasure that really make you feel like you are there! :D

Mind you, my original Get Happy!! had a very audible click/pop a nanosecond before the first note of 'Riot Act'. I still miss that. :(

cwr
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:14 pm

Re: 50 Songs For 50 Days - Elvis Costello's October Surprise

Postby cwr » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:02 pm

I was at the first concert where he performed "Far From The Prize" and after it was over I couldn't get anyone else to confirm that it had really happened. It was my 2nd EC show (1st was Tinley Park near Chicago in 1994) and I went to see where people were lining up to get autographs afterwards near the stage door, and I asked a few people "hey what was that song where it was just a spotlight on him at the end of 'Little Atoms'?" I truly didnt know if it was a snippet of a cover or a new original, and NO ONE else there seemed to have any memory of it. It wasn't until I saw set lists of the next shows that I was able to verify that I hadn't just imagined it!

User avatar
Top balcony
Posts: 722
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:48 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: 50 Songs For 50 Days - Elvis Costello's October Surprise

Postby Top balcony » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:11 pm

cwr wrote:I was at the first concert where he performed "Far From The Prize"

Were you standing next to me at the incomparable Royal Court on 20th July 1996 http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _The_Prize
then ? :wink:

Hawksmoor
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:51 pm

Re: 50 Songs For 50 Days - Elvis Costello's October Surprise

Postby Hawksmoor » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:19 am

Top balcony wrote:
cwr wrote:I was at the first concert where he performed "Far From The Prize"

Were you standing next to me at the incomparable Royal Court on 20th July 1996 http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _The_Prize
then ? :wink:

I don't know if cwr was, but I was there! Love seeing Elvis in Liverpool, there's always something magical, especially in the old days when it was always the Royal Court. Alan Bleasdale with his private box, all that - lovely atmosphere. Saw him six times 1984 to 1996, always at the Royal Court, happy days.

Mind you, July 2016 at the Philharmonic was another absolute cracker - singing Happy Birthday to his Mum, Bleasdale visibly present, lovely. It's the place to see Elvis!

sulky lad
Posts: 2122
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:21 pm
Location: Out of the kitchen,she's gone with the wind

Re: 50 Songs For 50 Days - Elvis Costello's October Surprise

Postby sulky lad » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:14 am

Hawksmoor wrote:
Top balcony wrote:
cwr wrote:I was at the first concert where he performed "Far From The Prize"

Were you standing next to me at the incomparable Royal Court on 20th July 1996 http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _The_Prize
then ? :wink:

I don't know if cwr was, but I was there! Love seeing Elvis in Liverpool, there's always something magical, especially in the old days when it was always the Royal Court. Alan Bleasdale with his private box, all that - lovely atmosphere. Saw him six times 1984 to 1996, always at the Royal Court, happy days.

Mind you, July 2016 at the Philharmonic was another absolute cracker - singing Happy Birthday to his Mum, Bleasdale visibly present, lovely. It's the place to see Elvis!


Every time I've seen Elvis in Liverpool it's been awful ( only joking!)
After the 1996 show I got everyone to sign my Get Happy!, El Mocambo and Blood And Chocolate LP sleeves but I had to wait for Steve to go and see his sister off to the bus stop before he came back to see us all. Sadly Bruce kept away from the throng and I have to wait another 22 years before I completed the set!

sweetest punch
Posts: 4354
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:49 am
Location: Belgium

Re: 50 Songs For 50 Days - Elvis Costello's October Surprise

Postby sweetest punch » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:15 am

No. 6
Hurry Down Doomsday (The Bugs Are Taking Over)

“In time you can turn these obsessions into careers
While the parents of those kidnapped children
Start the bidding for their tears”

From “Mighty Like A Rose”
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.

User avatar
Top balcony
Posts: 722
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:48 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: 50 Songs For 50 Days - Elvis Costello's October Surprise

Postby Top balcony » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:32 am

Hawksmoor wrote: Bleasdale visibly present

Sir Alan Bleasedale was leaning on his walking stick having a quiet smoke outside the Philharmonic Hall before 10th June 2013's Spinning Songbook show. Sulky and I interrupted his tranquillity and I said " are you going to get a spin?" his reply : "f**k that, I want to go in the cage!".

sulky lad
Posts: 2122
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:21 pm
Location: Out of the kitchen,she's gone with the wind

Re: 50 Songs For 50 Days - Elvis Costello's October Surprise

Postby sulky lad » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:39 am

Top balcony wrote:
Hawksmoor wrote: Bleasdale visibly present

Sir Alan Bleasedale was leaning on his walking stick having a quiet smoke outside the Philharmonic Hall before 10th June 2013's Spinning Songbook show. Sulky and I interrupted his tranquillity and I said " are you going to get a spin?" his reply : "f**k that, I want to go in the cage!".



:D :D :D

Hawksmoor
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:51 pm

Re: 50 Songs For 50 Days - Elvis Costello's October Surprise

Postby Hawksmoor » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:58 am

Top balcony wrote:
Hawksmoor wrote: Bleasdale visibly present

Sir Alan Bleasedale was leaning on his walking stick having a quiet smoke outside the Philharmonic Hall before 10th June 2013's Spinning Songbook show. Sulky and I interrupted his tranquillity and I said " are you going to get a spin?" his reply : "f**k that, I want to go in the cage!".

Perfect. On a day when I was a little bit sad about Elvis hinting it might be a long time before he can play live again, that anecdote has reminded me of happier times and put a big smile on my face. Thank-you!


Return to “Elvis Costello General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: IbMePdErRoIoAmL and 91 guests