Artists who were influenced by Elvis Costello

Pretty self-explanatory
kosi559

Artists who were influenced by Elvis Costello

Post by kosi559 »

Do you know of any artists who said that they were influenced by Elvis Costello? There is a list on Wikipedia, but there are no citations for any of them. Do you have any articles or videos of musicians saying that they were influenced by him? The only one I know of is when Madonna said that he was one of her influences at the Brit Awards.
"Can't you see? My band is up there."
Ulster Boy

Re: Artists who were influenced by Elvis Costello

Post by Ulster Boy »

Elvis Costello - Blood And Chocolate
Possibly the most easily spotted Radiohead influence, Elvis’s angriest album nods many parallels in Thom’s more bilious lyrics. Thom finally met Elvis Costello two years ago when Costello approached him at a festival. It tums out that Elvis had heard Thom on the radio singing his praises and felt compelled to thank him personally: "When I was about 16," recalls Thom, "Blood And Chocolate was the album that made me change the way I thought about recording and writing music, lyrics too. Everything about that record — even the way he got the artist to do the sleeve — is just awesome. Even the way he sang it so that he couldn’t hear his voice on the headphones so that he’d really have to belt it out." His "Tokyo Storm Warning" has a similar feel to "Electioneering." Almost rockabilly, you know?’
Mr. Getgood

Post by Mr. Getgood »

Extract from interview with Ricky Warwick, formally of metal band the Almighty.

What singers do you look up to?

Obviously Phil Lynott. He was a huge influence on me, regardless of the band situation I found myself in! And Van Morrison; it’s funny, Phil was a big Van Morrison fan as well, you can hear that in a lot of phrasing and delivery. And I’ve gotta put Lemmy in there for the growl. And people like Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe, Graham Parker… I loved the attitude of Joe Strummer, and even Elvis. Some of those raw Elvis records, his voice is just stunning.

Full interview here: https://www.loudersound.com/features/fi ... ky-warwick

I also remember him saying in an interview in Kerrang magazine back in the nineties that he thought E.C. was a brilliant songwriter.
I love you just as much as I hate your guts.
Mr. Getgood

Post by Mr. Getgood »

More of the same from Ricky Warwick:

A couple of the songs on the album – When The Night Comes In and Testify… have a real seventies, Rn’B sensibility about them – they remind me of Graham Parker and the Rumour. Whose ddea was it to bring in the gospel-type backing vocals for those songs? “I’m glad you picked up on that! I’m a big fan of Graham Parker, Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe, all those guys, and a big fan of Northern Soul – Stax, Tamla Motown, and the Holland–Dozier–Holland songwriting team. In fact my biggest writing influences over the last five or six years have been those kind of sounds.

https://www.sentineldaily.com.au/black- ... hin-lizzy/
I love you just as much as I hate your guts.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

This topic came up in a 1991 interview in Pulse where the interviewer offers Michael Penn, Lenny Kravitz and John Wesley Harding.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... ,_May_1991
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

I would suggest, The Arctic Monkeys, although this is hard to pin down in print.

Alex Turner of Arctic Monkeys is a fan and influenced by Elvis.

This BBC News review of ‘’Look Now’’ says that “With his own brand of witty, observational songwriting, Alex Turner is one of a long line of young British songwriters who owe a debt to Costello.”

When the news of Elvis’ cancer diagnosis broke, the Arctic Monkeys played a cover of “Lipstick Vogue” at a show in Lyon, France on July 10, 2018.

In 2013, when Arctic Monkeys drummer Matt Helder broke his hand, they turned to Pete Thomas to play on recordings for their album “AM”.

Turner joined Elvis and the Imposters on stage in New York in 2011 where they also played “Lipstick Vogue”.

This website suggests 86 different artists or bands who are influenced by Elvis Costello, many of whom I have not heard of. The list includes artists who Elvis has collaborated with, artists who have covered Elvis' songs, artists whose records he has produced, and artists who have copied his style. Not an authoritative list by any means.

MOOT
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Wendy James?