Happy Ascension Day

Pretty self-explanatory
rightbrain

Happy Ascension Day

Post by rightbrain »

Today (Thursday, May 21) is Ascension Day (40 days after Easter) on the Catholic calendar.

"40 days passed by . . . but we'll all be together, come Ascension Day."

Leave it to former Altar Boy Elvis to dip back into his upbringing to mine it as an allegory for a personalized hymn about post-Katrina New Orleans vs. merely chronicling the events.

Or, as EC said in a "River In Reverse" press interview: "The configurations and harmonization that Allen was playing on his minor-key version of "Tipitina" opened up pictures in my head that ultimately inspired the text for "Ascension Day."

The Gospel reading for Ascension Day is from The Acts of the Apostles (Chapter 1; Verse 11): "Why stand you looking up to heaven? He Who is taken up from you into heaven shall so return as you have seen him go."

It's remarkable to see the desolation and loss in the aftermath of Katrina tinged with hope for a return to New Orleans' former majesty:

"Some fell down weeping, some shook their fists up at the skies."
"Let her go, let her go, God bless her."
"But I know they will return, like they've never gone away, come Ascension Day."

Brilliant.

https://youtu.be/qog_bAjYuS0
bronxapostle

Re: Happy Ascension Day

Post by bronxapostle »

Wonderful recount of this all indeed rb, thank you AND.... Happy Ascension Thursday to all.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Thanks for pointing us to that lovely performance of a great song.

"Let her go, let her go, God bless her." is borrowed from the blues classic "St James Infirmary".

At his epic performance with Allen's band at the Picket in 2007, EC dedicated this song to a great Liverpool born jazz and blues singer who had passed away earlier in the day : "...for George Melly, wherever he is now..."

Happy Ascension Day from me too.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

rightbrain wrote:Today (Thursday, May 21) is Ascension Day (40 days after Easter) on the Catholic calendar.

"40 days passed by . . . but we'll all be together, come Ascension Day."

Leave it to former Altar Boy Elvis to dip back into his upbringing to mine it as an allegory for a personalized hymn about post-Katrina New Orleans vs. merely chronicling the events.

Or, as EC said in a "River In Reverse" press interview: "The configurations and harmonization that Allen was playing on his minor-key version of "Tipitina" opened up pictures in my head that ultimately inspired the text for "Ascension Day."

The Gospel reading for Ascension Day is from The Acts of the Apostles (Chapter 1; Verse 11): "Why stand you looking up to heaven? He Who is taken up from you into heaven shall so return as you have seen him go."

It's remarkable to see the desolation and loss in the aftermath of Katrina tinged with hope for a return to New Orleans' former majesty:

"Some fell down weeping, some shook their fists up at the skies."
"Let her go, let her go, God bless her."
"But I know they will return, like they've never gone away, come Ascension Day."

Brilliant.

https://youtu.be/qog_bAjYuS0
Lovely, lovely summary -........
and Top Balcony - you'll wear out that recording if you don't watch it !! :wink: