Elvis on We Are One Public - virtual performance event, October 20, 2020

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis on We Are One Public - virtual performance event, October 20, 2020

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.google.be/amp/s/www.vogue.c ... june-1/amp

The Public Theater Is Hosting a Star-Studded, One-Night-Only Virtual Event

Back in the days when we could roam the outside world freely, the Public Theater’s annual Shakespeare in the Park program was one of the greatest cultural benefits of living in (or near) New York. The chance to see some of Hollywood and Broadway’s best-loved and most respected thespians exercise their craft for free in the open air was a reaffirmation of all was great about the city.

Now, the theater scene in New York—and much of the rest of the world—is on pause as the coronavirus pandemic rages on, but that isn’t stopping the Public from fulfilling its promise of offering quality accessible shows. On Monday, June 1, the theater will hold We Are One Public, a one-night-only, free virtual performance event. Hosted by Jesse Tyler Ferguson, it will feature Antonio Banderas, Laura Benanti, Danielle Brooks, Glenn Close, Elvis Costello, Anne Hathaway, Oscar Isaac, John Leguizamo, Audra McDonald, Grace McLean, Sandra Oh, Phillipa Soo, Trudie Styler, Sting, and many more theatrical luminaries.

Tony winner Kenny Leon will direct the evening’s performances, according to a Tuesday statement from the Public Theater, and actor Sam Waterston and philanthropists Audrey and Zygi Wilf will be honored. While the event itself is free and open to all, an online auction will go live a week prior to raise money for the Public Theater. Will it be a theatrical event to rival Stephen Sondheim’s virtual 90th-birthday concert? We won’t know for a few weeks, but the smart money says yes.

We Are One Public will begin at 8 p.m. ET on June 1 and will be livestreamed on the Public’s website, as well as its YouTube channel and Facebook page.
Last edited by sweetest punch on Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis on We Are One Public - virtual performance event, June 1, 2020

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.elviscostello.com/#!/news/299177

‘WE ARE ONE PUBLIC’ A ONE NIGHT ONLY VIRTUAL EVENT TO SUPPORT THE PUBLIC THEATER NYC

‘We Are One Public’ A One Night Only Virtual Event to Support The Public Theater NYC Monday June 1st.

Featuring Elvis Costello, Sting, Antonio Banderas, Laura Benanti, Danielle Brooks, Anne Hathway, Sandra Oh, Glenn Close and many many more…

From coast to coast and around the world, we'll come together for WE ARE ONE PUBLIC, a one night only star-studded virtual event to support The Public Theater. Free and open to all, the event will be livestreamed on The Public’s website, YouTube channel, and Facebook page. Now more than ever, your support will help ensure The Public can continue to create theater of, by & for all people.

Visit publictheater.org today.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Interesting to see that Elvis’ name now comes first in the list of contributing artists. Amazing what a Grammy will do for you - and I’m not complaining about him being respected as is his due !
jmm

Post by jmm »

Speculating but always thought The Public might eventually be home to A Face in the Crowd
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

sulky lad wrote:Interesting to see that Elvis’ name now comes first in the list of contributing artists. Amazing what a Grammy will do for you - and I’m not complaining about him being respected as is his due !
This prompted me to check how many Grammy Awards Sting had. There is a separate Wikipedia page for "List of Awards and Nominations received by Sting". Whereas, the Wikipedia page for EC does not even mention the Grammy for "Look Now". There is a page for "Grammy Awards" on the EC Wiki.

It seems that Gordon has received eighteen Grammy Awards, the most recent in 2019 for "Best Reggae Album" for his collaboration with Shaggy! He has also been nominated another 22 times without winning. So Elvis has a little catching up to do.

Some of Sting's "wins" relate to material that might surprise you. For instance, in 2001 a Grammy for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance for "She Walks This Earth (Soberana Rosa)". Could anyone here hum that tune, or quote the first line without looking it up?

Oh, and Sting was inducted into the "Songwriters Hall of Fame" in 2002, 14 years before Elvis!

So I am not sure it was the Grammy win on its own what done it, although it may have helped...

MOOT
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

This still on today?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Postponed: https://www.google.be/amp/s/variety.com ... 21913/amp/

New York’s Public Theater Benefit, Drama Desk Awards Postponed in Wake of George Floyd Protests

New York’s Public Theater has postponed its virtual event We Are One Public that was set to take place on June 1 in place of its annual live gala.

“In this time of national trauma, when the Covid crisis has so disproportionately impacted the Black community, when the injustices of our way of life have been made so clear, it just feels wrong for us to sail ahead with our event,” the theater’s statement says.

We Are One Public was set to be hosted by Jesse Tyler Ferguson and directed by Kenny Leon. Honorees included Sam Waterston and Audrey and Zygi Wilf.

The list of presenters included Antonio Banderas, Laura Benanti, Danielle Brooks, Glenn Close, Elvis Costello, Claire Danes, Danai Gurira, Anne Hathaway, Oscar Isaac, Nikki M. James, John Leguizamo, Audra McDonald and Sandra Oh.

The Public’s postponement came just a couple of hours after the 65th annual Drama Desk Awards on Sunday night was also called off and rescheduled for a later date.

(...)

Read the Public Theater’s full statement below:

We have made the decision today to postpone our virtual event: We Are One Public which was scheduled for tomorrow night, June 1. In this time of national trauma, when the Covid crisis has so disproportionately impacted the Black community, when the injustices of our way of life have been made so clear, it just feels wrong for us to sail ahead with our event. We deeply believe in our theater, and in the importance of the work we do, but this is not the moment to focus on the Public. This is a time for mourning and reflection. Kenny Leon, our board member and the director of this event, and Oskar will release a brief video message on our website at 8pm on Monday.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Now planned for October 20: https://publictheater.org/support-us/ev ... event2020/

The Public Theater is committed to making art that inspires, connects, and uplifts our community. Originally scheduled for June 1, we hope you'll join us for this re-imagined free virtual event on October 20.

Tuesday, October 20, 2020
8:00PM EST Performance
Streaming here, YouTube, and Facebook

Co-Chairs: Kwame Anthony Appiah, Candia Fisher, Joanna Fisher, Laure Sudreau, and Lynne Wheat

Honorees: Audrey & Zygi Wilf
Artistic Honoree: Sam Waterston

Directed by Kenny Leon
Music Directed by Ted Sperling
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis on We Are One Public - virtual performance event, October 20, 2020

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.playbill.com/article/audra- ... rtual-gala

Audra McDonald, Meryl Streep, Lin-Manuel Miranda, More Set for Re-Imagined Public Theater Virtual Gala

"We must strive to build institutions worthy of the beauty of our artists," says Kenny Leon, who directs the event

A re-imagined virtual gala from The Public Theater will be a star-studded affair as the institution looks to the future following the year’s reckoning around racism in the country. FORWARD. TOGETHER., directed by Tony winner Kenny Leon, will take place October 20 at 8 PM ET.

The event will be live streamed on The Public’s website, YouTube, and Facebook. While free to watch, donations are encouraged to support the Off-Broadway institution.

The lineup includes Jelani Alladin, Jacqueline Antaramian, Antonio Banderas, Laura Benanti, Kim Blanck, Ally Bonino, Danielle Brooks, Jenn Colella, Elvis Costello, Daniel Craig, Alysha Deslorieux, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Holly Gould, Danai Gurira, Stephanie Hsu, David Henry Hwang, Oscar Isaac, Nikki M. James, Alicia Keys, John Leguizamo, John Lithgow, Audra McDonald, Grace McLean, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Kelli O’Hara, Mia Pak, Suzan-Lori Parks, David Hyde Pierce, Phylicia Rashad, Liev Schreiber, Martin Sheen, Phillipa Soo, Meryl Streep, Sting and Trudie Styler, Will Swenson, Shaina Taub, Kuhoo Verma, Ada Westfall, and Kate Wetherhead. As previously planned for the June 1 ceremony, the gala includes a special tribute to this year’s honorees Sam Waterston and Audrey and Zygi Wilf.

“Before the world was stilled, we were set to celebrate the institution of theater as we knew it,” said Leon. “What we now know is that we have much to learn and much to do to earn our sacred place in our community. We take this time to celebrate our artists, and as we move forward with our virtual event, we understand that these are precious moments. We must strive to build institutions worthy of the beauty of our artists, and we will meet the moment with the seriousness and attention it deserves.”

The evening will feature stories from Public Theater alumni, songs from Public Theater musicals (including a performance by Alladin of a new song written just for Public Works’ production of Hercules), and a preview of “Say Their Names,” a visual installation to be projected on the facade of The Public’s Cooper Square home dedicated to the Black lives lost to police brutality and white violence.

Anne McPherson will serve as the gala’s production stage manager with music direction by Ted Sperling.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Virtual performance in a few hours!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i wish i could see him sing one darn song somewhere, anywhere LIVE in person this miserable 2020!! :evil:
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

EC appears at 1:12:30 and sings "A Face in the Crowd."

Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Nice version of AFITC to go along with 'Big Stars have Tumbled' from the Rosanne Cash/Carnegie Hall thing. I guess we all have lo-fi live versions of several of the AFITC songs, but it's still fun to see EC sneaking them out in webcasts. For the Rosanne Cash thing, and for this, most artists would surely have taken the opportunity to plug their upcoming LP, but this is the Elvis I love - the one who's just itching to play you a new song.