Get Happy!! Survivor - Round 3

Pretty self-explanatory
User avatar
kosi559
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:15 am
Location: Maryland, U.S.A.

Get Happy!! Survivor - Round 3

Postby kosi559 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:00 pm

https://forms.gle/WJo3Tnk7WPsSHGYUA
Vote for your LEAST favorite song
Beaten to the Punch is out. 23.6% voted for it.
"Can't you see? My band is up there."

sulky lad
Posts: 2021
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:21 pm
Location: Out of the kitchen,she's gone with the wind

Re: Get Happy!! Survivor - Round 3

Postby sulky lad » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:03 pm

Like Fishfinger King will concur no doubt, I'm gutted by this, I really love this song all in 7ths like "You can't Do that" and about 5 years ago, every time I saw The Imposters backstage I always reminded them about this song and that it was in 7ths just to prompt them - but I think I may only have ever heard it in 1981 at Exeter University - been a long while. It has this amazing middle eight :-

"Your body speaks much louder than your voice
You let it do the talking so I don't have any choice"

another example of Elvis' amazing ability to write these great bridges - you're all buffoons who voted for this :wink:

Neil.
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:14 am
Location: London

Re: Get Happy!! Survivor - Round 3

Postby Neil. » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:07 pm

Haha Sulky, agreed, that's an amazing middle eight. Another example of Elvis's trenchant chronicling of men's helpless and usually disastrous thrall to the spell of sex.

Bonkers, brilliant raucous riot of a song - and that final damning line of the lyric!

Now to check out the next agonsing choice x

Neil.
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:14 am
Location: London

Re: Get Happy!! Survivor - Round 3

Postby Neil. » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:11 pm

kosi559 wrote:https://forms.gle/WJo3Tnk7WPsSHGYUA
Vote for your LEAST favorite song
Beaten to the Punch is out. 23.6% voted for it.


Kosi, it appears that Beaten to the Punch is still on the list given at the top of this thread (quoted here). Is there an error?

sulky lad
Posts: 2021
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:21 pm
Location: Out of the kitchen,she's gone with the wind

Re: Get Happy!! Survivor - Round 3

Postby sulky lad » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:22 pm

Neil. wrote:
kosi559 wrote:https://forms.gle/WJo3Tnk7WPsSHGYUA
Vote for your LEAST favorite song
Beaten to the Punch is out. 23.6% voted for it.


Kosi, it appears that Beaten to the Punch is still on the list given at the top of this thread (quoted here). Is there an error?




I think God is telling you all the error of your voting ways :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bit heavy about the old sex thing, Neil surely it's never got you in trouble has it ?? :shock:

User avatar
Fishfinger king
Posts: 525
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:41 am
Location: Norfolk

Re: Get Happy!! Survivor - Round 3

Postby Fishfinger king » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:07 pm

sulky lad wrote:Like Fishfinger King will concur no doubt, I'm gutted by this, I really love this song all in 7ths like "You can't Do that" and about 5 years ago, every time I saw The Imposters backstage I always reminded them about this song and that it was in 7ths just to prompt them - but I think I may only have ever heard it in 1981 at Exeter University - been a long while. It has this amazing middle eight :-

"Your body speaks much louder than your voice
You let it do the talking so I don't have any choice"

another example of Elvis' amazing ability to write these great bridges - you're all buffoons who voted for this :wink:


I indeed concur. 100% agree with everything you say , Sulky.
Is that so surprising nowadays?

User avatar
kosi559
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:15 am
Location: Maryland, U.S.A.

Re: Get Happy!! Survivor - Round 3

Postby kosi559 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:18 pm

Neil. wrote:
kosi559 wrote:https://forms.gle/WJo3Tnk7WPsSHGYUA
Vote for your LEAST favorite song
Beaten to the Punch is out. 23.6% voted for it.


Kosi, it appears that Beaten to the Punch is still on the list given at the top of this thread (quoted here). Is there an error?

Yes there is. I forgot to get rid of it. I'm still trying to find out which course of action I should take.
"Can't you see? My band is up there."

Neil.
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:14 am
Location: London

Re: Get Happy!! Survivor - Round 3

Postby Neil. » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:20 am

Seems to be working now. I just voted Clowntime is Over out. I think I should've got rid of this one first - it's good, but I think Steve's organ saves it. The phrase 'Clowntime is Over' has always bothered me a bit. 'Clowntime' isn't a phrase people use as far as I'm aware (like 'it's showtime!' - 'it's... clowntime!' So putting it in the chorus draws attention to its oddness. But I guess Elvis is allowed to coin a phrase if he wants!

sulky lad
Posts: 2021
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:21 pm
Location: Out of the kitchen,she's gone with the wind

Re: Get Happy!! Survivor - Round 3

Postby sulky lad » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:03 am

I’ve kept that for my top ten Neil but I think my thinking is a bit twisted here :shock: because if the slow version on the 12” single which has a glorious feel. It’s also one of the few Elvis’ songs that I can “play” on the piano without being too embarrassed though I doubt if Steve will be particularly anxious :roll:

Neil.
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:14 am
Location: London

Re: Get Happy!! Survivor - Round 3

Postby Neil. » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:32 am

sulky lad wrote:I’ve kept that for my top ten Neil but I think my thinking is a bit twisted here :shock: because if the slow version on the 12” single which has a glorious feel. It’s also one of the few Elvis’ songs that I can “play” on the piano without being too embarrassed though I doubt if Steve will be particularly anxious :roll:


Yeah, of the two I much prefer that massively sad version on the 12", with the rolling organ. Wow, one of your top tens, isn't it interesting how we all differ? There's no accounting for taste!

sulky lad
Posts: 2021
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:21 pm
Location: Out of the kitchen,she's gone with the wind

Re: Get Happy!! Survivor - Round 3

Postby sulky lad » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:23 am

Neil. wrote:
sulky lad wrote:I’ve kept that for my top ten Neil but I think my thinking is a bit twisted here :shock: because if the slow version on the 12” single which has a glorious feel. It’s also one of the few Elvis’ songs that I can “play” on the piano without being too embarrassed though I doubt if Steve will be particularly anxious :roll:


Yeah, of the two I much prefer that massively sad version on the 12", with the rolling organ. Wow, one of your top tens, isn't it interesting how we all differ? There's no accounting for taste!



I reckon you pick yours on “singability” whereas it’s the killer baseline that does me every time which is why I love Bruce’s work so much and why “Get Happy!” Is such an Amazing album for me !

Neil.
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:14 am
Location: London

Re: Get Happy!! Survivor - Round 3

Postby Neil. » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:25 am

OMG, I sort of do, but I am always amazed by the playing too. It's incredible on this album - the inventive flourishes from the whole team.


Return to “Elvis Costello General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], krm and 53 guests