Get Happy!! Survivor - Round 1

Post by kosi559 »

https://forms.gle/PHgAkzyW3ZkKYLPY8
Vote for your LEAST favorite track
"Can't you see? My band is up there."
kosi559

Re: Get Happy!! Survivor - Round 1

Post by kosi559 »

I'm so sorry everyone. For some reason, I thought that it started at 4:30, not 4:00. So sorry.
Harry Lime

Post by Harry Lime »

This one's going to be tough, since I consider side one to be a perfect album side, and side 2 isn't very far behind. Just like with Imperial Bedroom, the first one is easy.

The others, well...
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Crikey this is hard, I was going to go for B-Movie and just played it ahead of voting, found I still loved it to bits! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Can't do this - it's like choosing which of your kids you love the least, it's a great idea tho kosi559.

Really interested to see how this pans out.

Colin
jardine

Post by jardine »

Instead of participating, I'm going to listen to Get Happy!! more carefully than I have in quite a while. For this, I'm happy that Survivor made this happen.

I think it is really complex and interesting to consider why some might not want to do this...it really is an unnatural act, in a way. There is no 'actual' contest between these songs, no 'actual' hierarchy. If I took the songs I liked best out of this album and didn't have the others any longer, I'd like the ones I chose less because of that. So, yes, on Get Happy!! as a whole, I seriously love B-Movie!!

And, of course, for those into this sort of thing, have a great ride!! 20 days!!! Get Happy!!!!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Weirdly, B-Movie was the one that sprang to mind first. But it's actually totally fantastic, that bass is insane. The trenchant lyrics and fun wordplay 'Too real, too real... (reel to reel)'. Crazy melody.

Garrrgh this is going to be agonising.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I had to choose something so I went with 5ive Gears in Reverse. Even though it's fantastic. Great riff, great organ, Elvis was in fully punny imagery mode in these lyrics, the motoring imagery comes tumbling out here:

If your patience is EXHAUSTed
And you still cannot decide
And you're sitting in the GARAGE contemplating suicide (exhaust fumes)
And you have no MOTORvation
You can't even catch your breath (garage suicide with exhaust fumes)
All of this ACCELERATION is DRIVING you to death
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Neil. wrote:I had to choose something so I went with 5ive Gears in Reverse. Even though it's fantastic. Great riff, great organ, Elvis was in fully punny imagery mode in these lyrics, the motoring imagery comes tumbling out here:

All of this ACCELERATION is DRIVING you to death

Doing the 40 year anniversary thing, I noticed 5ive Gears was played quite a bit on the U.K. tour and even with Martin Belmont in Europe and it's areal "roadrunner" ( pun intended!) live. I'm quite surprised it didn't go on to be a live favourite for Elvis.
I opted for Human Touch as my first fatality as it's a bit too much like a Specials tribute and The Attractions sound like they just did this in a couple of takes without ever stretching themselves
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

This is agony already!
Harder than Imperial Bedroom.
It might help to have sides 1 & 2 the right way round. :lol:
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

sulky lad wrote:Doing the 40 year anniversary thing, I noticed 5ive Gears was played quite a bit on the U.K. tour and even with Martin Belmont in Europe and it's areal "roadrunner" ( pun intended!) live. I'm quite surprised it didn't go on to be a live favourite for Elvis.
I opted for Human Touch as my first fatality as it's a bit too much like a Specials tribute and The Attractions sound like they just did this in a couple of takes without ever stretching themselves
Oh God, I love Human Touch, it's so boisterous and bouncy. Shiiiiiiiiiiiit, this is tough!!!
jardine

Post by jardine »

oh yes, neil. [sorry, don't know how to use the quote function]. now THIS is a good reason for a survivor thing, highlighting things that can too easily skid by, especially in the cascade that is Get Happy!!.

These lyrics...well, to tell the truth, I never quite noticed this cluster before.

All of this ACCELERATION is DRIVING you to death.

Noticing this song in this way is wonderful and why I'll at least keep track of the contest. Eliminating this song seems simply impossible. [even though i know full well that that is what will eventually happen -- now that's and interesting thing to know...so i've got a survivor radar even if i don't participate. maybe i'm just a coward [brother]!
Harry Worth

Post by Harry Worth »

Nyyaarghhh!!!

This is going to be a torment!

It's almost like Kosi599 is standing there, grinning and pliers in hand, asking me which fingernail do I like least!
jardine

Post by jardine »

just realized that if you did it the other way around and got rid of your favourite first, then it would be less and less agnozing as it goes along -- fingernails OR songs!
kosi559

Post by kosi559 »

jardine wrote:just realized that if you did it the other way around and got rid of your favourite first, then it would be less and less agnozing as it goes along -- fingernails OR songs!
Sorry, but I don't think I want to do that with the survivor series going forward. The idea of the last one standing being the best just seems more satisfying.
jardine

Post by jardine »

just a silly joke, really. all good. carry on!