Guitar solo in Watching the Detectives.

Pretty self-explanatory
sinatra57

Guitar solo in Watching the Detectives.

Post by sinatra57 »

Stop me if this has been mentioned before, but has anyone else remarked on Elvis playing a few bars of How Insensitive by Antionio Carlos Jobim when he solos during Watching the Detectives. I have noticed this a few times live and he did it again at Liverpool last week.

Looking forward to Blackpool tomorrow having read the reports of gigs since Liverpool which was great.
bronxapostle

Re: Guitar solo in Watching the Detectives.

Post by bronxapostle »

For many years now, he has played INSENSATEZ during the CLUBLAND solo. I tried to credit it there whenever i heard it. Now, it's kind of become a part that is hard to decipher anymore now when played. Thanks for throwing a new monkey wrench in however. You say it appears during DETECTIVES now?
sinatra57

Post by sinatra57 »

Yes, in my haste to post I referenced the wrong song, it does appear in Clubland. Thanks for that correction bronxpostle, now are we the only people that have noticed? I don't think it's ever been mentioned before.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Yes... it has been mentioned at the wiki. Let me look it up.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/index.php/Insensatez

This is surely quite incomplete in the times it has been added to the song. Best, ba
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I’ve always omitted it because it’s not a ‘song’ in the sense of no vocals. If it came to listing instrumental inclusions we could open a huge can of worms particularly with Steve in any band - he’s played so many different musical phrases in his accompaniments such as “Je t’aime’” on his introduction during the band appreciations by Elvis in “Everyday I Write The Book” on this tour and I clearly remember a snippet of JSB’s “Jesu, Joy Of Man’s Desiring” in a live version of “I Want You” - sheer musical and intellectual genius to insert that devotion to heavenly aspiration of purest love into a song of human carnal love. I don’t think there are even enough of us on the wiki with wide enough musical knowledge to find all the licks - Elvis has played a phrase from “I Feel Pretty” Into “Detectives” ( if I recall correctly) at least once in this tour !
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Yes....A SUMMER PLACE, PINK.PANTHER THEME, JESU and WHOLE LOTTA LOVE are just a few more.... THAT THE BAND TINKERS WITH LIVE. my silly STATS keeping has always been strictly for ME! So, my simple ruling, for my stats keeping is....IF ELVIS PLAYS OR SINGS THE LICK, i tally it. lol silly me.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

bronxapostle wrote:Yes....A SUMMER PLACE, PINK.PANTHER THEME, JESU and WHOLE LOTTA LOVE are just a few more.... THAT THE BAND TINKERS WITH LIVE. my silly STATS keeping has always been strictly for ME! So, my simple ruling, for my stats keeping is....IF ELVIS PLAYS OR SINGS THE LICK, i tally it. lol silly me.

Not silly BA , just a lot more meticulous than I could be!
I also feel like I don’t know enough about some musical genres to ace some of the little riffs or phrases that are put in , especially by Steve!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sulky lad wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:Yes....A SUMMER PLACE, PINK.PANTHER THEME, JESU and WHOLE LOTTA LOVE are just a few more.... THAT THE BAND TINKERS WITH LIVE. my silly STATS keeping has always been strictly for ME! So, my simple ruling, for my stats keeping is....IF ELVIS PLAYS OR SINGS THE LICK, i tally it. lol silly me.

Not silly BA , just a lot more meticulous than I could be!
I also feel like I don’t know enough about some musical genres to ace some of the little riffs or phrases that are put in , especially by Steve!

Assuredly!!! Certainly, E has included other motifs/ themes that i might have missed over the years. And in all honesty. I needed my dear guitar friend genius of all things rock, jazz and classical to clue me into the JOBIM riff he began playing all these years back. Thanks DONALD!!!
I'm more the kind of guy that when i catch him saying "there's a thousand things i want to say to you." that immediately deciphers it as IN THE CITY by THE JAM!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

bronxapostle wrote:I'm more the kind of guy that when i catch him saying "there's a thousand things i want to say to you." that immediately deciphers it as IN THE CITY by THE JAM!
That's because it was. I heard him do the same. 8)

I'd love to see a list compiled of the songs Steve has interpolated.

My favourite was when he played the James Bond theme (in 13 Steps Lead Down I think) and English Country Garden. Unfortunately my memory can't tell you which song that one was in but I'm almost certain it was an Imperial Bedroom track (or tour).
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:I'm more the kind of guy that when i catch him saying "there's a thousand things i want to say to you." that immediately deciphers it as IN THE CITY by THE JAM!
That's because it was. I heard him do the same. 8)

I'd love to see a list compiled of the songs Steve has interpolated.

My favourite was when he played the James Bond theme (in 13 Steps Lead Down I think) and English Country Garden. Unfortunately my memory can't tell you which song that one was in but I'm almost certain it was an Imperial Bedroom track (or tour).
The English Country Garden recalls Garth Hudson d I NG1, the same on the Dylan ‘Judas’ Manchester Free Trade Hall concert. I’ve heard Steve do it too but can’t remember where he interpolated it !
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Sounda like a job for ANCT!!!
He is my go to guy for thess questions.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

sulky lad wrote: The English Country Garden recalls Garth Hudson d I NG1, the same on the Dylan ‘Judas’ Manchester Free Trade Hall concert. I’ve heard Steve do it too but can’t remember where he interpolated it !
At this show at the Cornbury Festival, English Country Garden featured as part of “Chelsea”.

Cornbury Festival

MOOT
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Great recall Nick - spot on of course !
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Last night Elvis sang quite a portion of a song in the middle of Detectives which including sine lines - shocking blue paint and their secrets to keep and maybe the word loaded repeated a few times. Can’t find anything close on the net, any ideas anyone ?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

sulky lad wrote:Last night Elvis sang quite a portion of a song in the middle of Detectives which including sine lines - shocking blue paint and their secrets to keep and maybe the word loaded repeated a few times. Can’t find anything close on the net, any ideas anyone ?
"Invisible Lady," the Elvis(/Mingus) song that stumps 'em every time. (It stumped me in Anaheim in 2018.)

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... sible_Lady
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
sulky lad wrote:Last night Elvis sang quite a portion of a song in the middle of Detectives which including sine lines - shocking blue paint and their secrets to keep and maybe the word loaded repeated a few times. Can’t find anything close on the net, any ideas anyone ?
"Invisible Lady," the Elvis(/Mingus) song that stumps 'em every time. (It stumped me in Anaheim in 2018.)

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... sible_Lady
But you’re not stumped - your breadth of knowledge never fIls to amaze me, thanks again ANCT # no. 1 source !!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

And what great lyrics they are too - dazzling wordplay again though I’m embarrassed about shocking blue pane rather than shocking blue paint :oops:
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

sulky lad wrote:I clearly remember a snippet of JSB’s “Jesu, Joy Of Man’s Desiring” in a live version of “I Want You”
Hasn't Steve inserted sections of that into 'The Only Flame in Town' before now? Even on the recorded version - try here from 2:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04UjhPm2Z_A