Spanish Model, Sept 10, 2021 - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Re: Spanish Model, Sept 10, 2021 - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.elviscostello.com/#!/news/299845

ELVIS COSTELLO & THE ATTRACTIONS’ “THIS YEAR’S GIRL” GETS TURNED ON ITS HEAD WITH SPANISH LANGUAGE INTERPRETATION, “LA CHICA DE HOY,” BY CHILEAN POP STAR, CAMI

MARKS SECOND TRACK RELEASED FROM COSTELLO’S FIRST OF ITS KIND RECORD, SPANISH MODEL, PRODUCED BY MULTIPLE GRAMMY AND LATIN GRAMMY AWARD-WINNING PRODUCER SEBASTIAN KRYS, “FROM AN ORIGINAL IDEA BY ELVIS COSTELLO”

THE ALBUM FEATURES THE ATTRACTIONS’ ORIGINAL INSTRUMENTAL PERFORMANCES WITH NEWLY RECORDED VOCALS BY LATIN POP AND ROCK ARTISTS SINGING COSTELLO’S LYRICS ADAPTED INTO SPANISH

ALBUM STARS: CAMI, DRACO ROSA, FITO PÁEZ, FRANCISCA VALENZUELA Y LUIS HUMBERTO NAVEJAS, GIAN MARCO Y NICOLE ZIGNAGO, JESSE & JOY, JORGE DREXLER, JUANES, LA MARISOUL, LUIS FONSI, MORAT, NINA DIAZ, PABLO LÓPEZ, RAQUEL SOFÍA Y FUEGO, SEBASTIÁN YATRA and VEGA

In 2018, Elvis Costello had a dream where he heard his entire This Year’s Model album performed in Spanish. He reached out to frequent collaborator, Argentinian-born, Latin GRAMMY Producer of the Year, Sebastian Krys about the idea, and it wasn’t long before the two were recruiting some of the biggest Latin rock and pop artists from around the globe to interpret these songs in Spanish, backed by Costello and The Attractions’ original performances, for the daring, first of its kind record, Spanish Model, due September 10 via UMe.

On Spanish Model, “This Year’s Girl,” or as it’s known on the record, “La Chica De Hoy,” has been turned on its head by Chilean Latin pop star Cami who offers an exciting and unique Spanish language interpretation and modern female perspective to the song. Written by Costello in 1978 about men’s lustful desires and society’s objectification of women, the song takes on a whole new meaning when sung from the point of view of a 23-year-old woman who is reclaiming the narrative. “La Chica De Hoy” bows today accompanied by a powerful video, shot and directed by Carolina Rizzotto, that takes a page from Bob Dylan’s “Subterranean Homesick Blues” as Cami holds up and rips up signs featuring the translated lyrics.

“It is an honor for me to be invited to perform the Spanish version of the classic ‘This Year’s Girl’ by the maestro, Elvis Costello,” Cami said. “I consider myself part of a major change in the music industry regarding women and I feel like this song was very pioneering at the time, in the debate on gender equity. I am very thankful this type of song exists so we can engage in a dialogue and have a debate over subject matter that is still very relevant today. Women are grateful that lyrics like these exist for all of us. Elvis’s lyrics have meaning and they resonate and make you want to study the lyric to find out what he really meant to say in each phrase, that is beautiful. Elvis is an artist that I admire a lot. I grew up with his music and I even remember my dad singing to it during my childhood. However, the invitation to participate in this album was surprisingly good. I was in the studio recording my previous album and my producer Sebastian Krys invited me to participate. While recording the vocals, we tried not to change the lyrics from the original English version so much. As I expected, everything happened very naturally. There was something exceptional in our version that I'm so happy to share with you. I hope you enjoy it.”

Costello offers, “It's so fantastic to have a singer like Cami singing ‘This Year’s Girl.’ She’s got one of these voices where the microphone just loves her voice. It’s totally another story with a young woman singing it like this. Cami is telling her story, but she's so cool. It's such a hip way she's singing it, and it’s a tremendous piece of work from Sebastian.”

As Costello and Krys began to think of artists that would be a good fit, they discovered that This Year’s Model was an important record to many artists in the pan-Latin world, but its true nature had never been fully appreciated because of the language barrier. They enlisted many Costello fans, a few who Krys and Costello felt would be a great fit for the songs and all of whom have stellar careers and were excited to participate and bring their own styles to the immediacy and poignancy of the original songs, helping to create an entirely new listening experience.

Spanish Model features such artists as: Cami, Draco Rosa, Fito Páez, Francisca Valenzuela & Luis Humberto Navejas (lead singer of Enjambre), Gian Marco & Nicole Zignago, Jesse & Joy, Jorge Drexler, Juanes, La Marisoul, Luis Fonsi, Morat, Nina Diaz, Pablo López, Raquel Sofía & Fuego, Sebastián Yatra, and Vega. They sing these timeless and universal songs, which have been expertly translated and adapted into Spanish to retain their meaning, energy, attitude, and wit.

The concept represents what may be a first: an artist replacing their vocals with newly recorded performances by other artists singing in another language, backed by the original music with 19 featured artists representing 10 countries and territories across the Spanish-speaking world including: Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Peru, Puerto Rico, Spain, Uruguay, plus several from the United States.

The album includes 16 tracks drawing from the original U.S. version of This Year’s Model (“Pump It Up,” “Radio Radio,” “This Year’s Girl,” “The Beat”) plus several other songs from those sessions. The album will be available on CD, digitally and 180-gram vinyl.

This Year’s Model, which has been newly remastered, will also be released concurrently on CD and 180-gram black vinyl with the addition of “Big Tears” and “Radio Radio.” A limited edition version, that pairs both Spanish Model and the new pressing of This Year’s Model together as a 180-gram double LP, will be released exclusively via ElvisCostello.com, uDiscover and Sound Of Vinyl webstores.

Spanish Model was announced in July with the release of an exciting video from Colombian superstar Juanes, whose own recently released Origen album was also produced by Sebastian Krys and featured Pete Thomas on drums. His exhilarating performance of “Pump It Up,” (with its spitfire lyrics now in Spanish) manages to match the same intensity and feel as the original, while Costello’s original backing vocals provide the trademark chorus and an instant familiarity. The video plays on this by transforming Costello’s signature video by rotoscoping the original and inserting Juanes’ head in place of Costello’s to create a playfully updated version that’s a perfect blend of the old and new, that this daring album embodies. “'Pump It Up' is such an iconic and signature song from Elvis' amazing repertoire, that it was a real honor to have the chance to sing with the original 1978 recording and be a part of that propulsive energy," Juanes said.

Since releasing, My Aim Is True, in 1977, the always musically curious Costello has allowed himself to follow his artistic desires wherever it takes him, often into unpredictable yet exciting territory. Across more than four decades, the iconoclast has reveled in exploring the human condition through a wildly diverse catalog that includes collaborations with Burt Bacharach, Allen Toussaint, Paul McCartney, T Bone Burnett, Brodsky Quartet, Spinal Tap, Anne Sofie von Otter, The Roots and his wife, Diana Krall along with many others spanning a dizzying array of genres, from country and jazz to orchestral, pop, rock, experimental and beyond, all the while keeping his audiences on their toes. After winning a Grammy for Look Now, his 2018 album with The Imposters, Costello recently released a French language EP, featuring French adaptations by Iggy Pop, Isabelle Adjani, Tshegue, Etta Somatis & AJUQ of songs from his acclaimed 2020 album, Hey Clockface.

“Part of the fun of this project is its unexpected nature,” Costello said. “Although, I think people in my audience that have been paying attention are pretty much used to surprises by now.”

“When Elvis told me the idea,” Krys said, “it took me about 15 seconds to answer. I have been in so many situations where I was trying to turn Latin artists onto Elvis Costello's music. The feedback I heard most often was ‘I love it. I wish I knew what he was saying.’ Spanish Model is an opportunity to turn an entire side of the world onto this great record and through these voices, get these ideas out. Lyrically, This Year's Model is still relevant today, what the songs have to say and how they say it.”

Costello and Krys worked closely with all the artists and in some cases with several songwriters, including Elsten Torres, Ximena Muñoz, Luis Mitre, Andie Sandoval, and Vega, to adapt the lyrics so the Spanish versions would seamlessly capture each song. With the lyrics in place, each artist set out to record.

The translation was key as Luis Fonsi explained: “The lyrics felt really natural. Nothing stuck out, and you can’t just read it. You must sing the lyrics to really know if the song will work or not. From the first time I started singing ‘You Belong To Me,’ it just felt natural. It's true to the original lyric. It has that same energy.”

“It’s tricky,” Fonsi said, “because you want to respect the original version. I tip-toed my way around it. Do you veer off a little bit? What’s the perfect combination?”

“I had a blast singing ‘Triggers,’” La Marisoul said. “The translation was beautiful. I just love ballads where I can get down and sing.”

Costello first hinted about the release last year when he created an “October surprise” playlist, 50 Songs for 50 Days, which included a, briefly available, preview of Spanish Model with Gian Marco and Nicole Zignago’s politically charged version of “Crawling To The U.S.A.” Costello and Krys recently discussed the origins of Spanish Model at the 2021 Latin Alternative Music Conference last month.

“This Year’s Model is about desire and how that relates to love, fashion and to the male gaze towards women and control, especially in political control over us all,” Costello said. “I don't think there's anything that somebody in another language would not have encountered. Some of the lyrics might be a little obscure because I use peculiar English idioms, but I constantly fall in love with records in other languages in which I don't even know one or two courtesy words. What you respond to is the humanity, the pride, the sorrow, the celebration.”

Ultimately, Spanish Model echoes the personal journey of celebrating influences and inspirations that Costello has embarked upon in countless creative ways over the years, whether taking him outside his comfort zone, expanding his musical repertoire or, as with this project, discovering something new altogether.

This Year’s Girl (La Chica De Hoy): https://youtu.be/n0ZtHceZ8yA
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
fred darden

Re: Spanish Model, Sept 10, 2021 - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums

Post by fred darden »

Enjoyed both video releases so far. Hope ec plans on doing one for all of them. I'm sure the Latin artists would love the exposure.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis tweets to correct 'Far Out' magazine's account that Spanish Model features all new recordings.

https://twitter.com/ElvisCostello/statu ... 46504?s=19

At least Far Out are now engaging with present day Elvis. They regularly post features on archive material , like features written by Elvis for Vanity Fair from twenty years ago. The casual reader could be excused for thinking they are new , as it can take quite a few clicks on links before the original date becomes clear.
WindUpWorld

Post by WindUpWorld »

Oh damn, from having thought ‘I don’t really need this’, as a result of listening I’m rather hooked and proud for our Elvis about the whole project. Wallet opening time again.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

WindUpWorld wrote:Oh damn, from having thought ‘I don’t really need this’, as a result of listening I’m rather hooked and proud for our Elvis about the whole project. Wallet opening time again.
Heh. I've been excited about it from day one and have pre-ordered it. I think I will have a lot of fun with it. My only (small) caveat is that...you don't announce a new LP while you're still selling the current one. That's common sense. But it does mean that the announcement of a new EC/Imposters LP (which I'm convinced is coming/fingers crossed) will have to wait until October. :D
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.sacurrent.com/sa-sound/arch ... ostello-lp

San Antonio's Nina Diaz looks ahead, even as she helped reimagine a 1979 Elvis Costello LP

A Spanish language reimagining of Elvis Costello’s This Year’s Model titled Spanish Model will feature Nina Diaz, former frontwoman of San Antonio’s Girl in a Coma, kicking the entire album off by singing “No Action.”

The honor of being in the pole position on a tribute Costello’s seminal 1978 album by a lineup of Latin music stalwarts was particularly impressive for one of Diaz’s biggest fans. Especially after it landed a writeup in Rolling Stone.

“My mom was so proud,” Diaz said in a recent Zoom interview. “She showed all her friends.”

Diaz’s mom wasn’t the only one who thought she was perfect for the spot. That opinion was shared by Sebastian Krys, the collection’s producer, who’s worked with plenty of heavy hitters in the Latin music community.

Diaz came to Krys’ attention after he attended one of her shows during the Los Angeles sojourn she undertook a couple of years ago. He tracked Diaz down and pitched the project. For the singer, participating was a no-brainer.

“I’ll sing in any language for Elvis Costello,” she said.

Diaz is no stranger to recording covers, having spent a chunk of quarantine time exploring her favorite tunes and turning them into a series of online releases. But Costello was a different story.

“I never really dove into Elvis Costello’s music before,” she revealed. “The universe was like, ‘Bam! It’s time for Elvis Costello.’”

In addition to doing a lot of listening, she watched YouTube videos of Costello talking about This Year’s Model and what it meant to him. The research helped her inhabit the song, she said.

In control now

While Diaz dug into the past to prepare for Spanish Model, she’s used to looking forward when it comes to her own career. Right now, she’s putting together upgrades on her home studio and aspires to produce other artists or work as an outside songwriter.

“You have to know your way around — the chords and whatever — if they’re like, ‘Hey, write a song like this,’” she said.

While Girl in a Coma — a collaboration with her sister Phanie and Jenn Alva — was her launchpad into the music business, she said she’s now happy to be in control of her own artistic destiny.

“While I was in Girl in a Coma, I was going with the flow,” she said. “Now, I’m in a transition to being an independent artist. I’m not on a label, I’m doing my Patreon, I’m self-managing.”

Getting out of her own way

Diaz’s recent creative output is about more than covers, though. She’s working on a new album that will reflect her personal growth via eight years of sobriety and additional time spent in therapy.

“I want to experience things so I can explain them and write about it,” she said. “I was a functioning addict, but during that whole time, I was still able to create. You put a drug or alcohol on a pedestal, but what it does for us is help us relax, get out of our own head. As a sober person, you have to get out of your own way and you’re able to create again.”

Elephant in the room

At the time she released her 2016 solo album, The Beat Is Dead, “a lot of people were still hanging onto Girl in a Coma,” she said.

“And for me it was like, ‘Catch up. I’m going to this other world,’” she said. “When you put pressure on yourself, you’re not focusing on the now, which is just doing what comes natural to you in writing. Focusing on mental health helps me as a writer. It’s what my next album is about.”

Like most artists who go solo, an elephant lingers in the room: whether Diaz would consider reuniting with her former bandmates, themselves busy with the all-female punk quartet FEA.

“At the time my solo album was coming out, I didn’t do many interviews because I knew it would be heated. I don’t communicate with [Phanie and Jenn] as of now. I would never say anything that drags people under the bus. I was hurting myself when I was using, because I felt stuck in a lot of ways.”

In retrospect, Diaz added, it might have been better for her mental health if Girl in a Coma had ended sooner.

“When they started FEA, I was really happy for them. They’re great musicians. Phanie is a badass rock drummer. But our time just ended,” Diaz said. “It’s not time for us to connect again. I don’t see Girl in a Coma playing again. Phanie and I would have to connect in a sister relationship first, but I don’t want to force anything.”

Spanish Model will be released September 10.

Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Elvis going a bit mental in the voiceover for the new documentary!!! LOL!

https://youtu.be/BmD6so5aZ-s
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.elviscostello.com/#!/news/299869

ELVIS COSTELLO AND THE ATTRACTIONS’ CLASSIC ALBUM, THIS YEAR’S MODEL, AND NEW SPANISH LANGUAGE ADAPTATION, SPANISH MODEL, EXPLORED IN NEW DOCUMENTARY

Trailer launches today and features Draco Rosa, Fito Páez, Jorge Drexler, Juanes, La Marisoul, Luis Fonsi, Nicole Zignago, Pablo López, Raquel Sofía Sebastián Yatra and Vega

For Elvis Costello’s latest project, Spanish Model, the ever musically curious artist, along with multi GRAMMY® award-winning producer Sebastian Krys, recruited an international cast of Latin pop and rock artists from around the globe to record his classic 1977 debut album with The Attractions, This Year’s Model, entirely in Spanish. An eclectic mix of singers and musicians, including Cami, Draco Rosa, Juanes, La Marisoul, Luis Fonsi, Sebastian Yatra and many others, performed the adapted songs alongside Costello & The Attractions timeless performances from the original master recordings.

An exciting new trailer for Spanish Model releases today and gives a glimpse into the innovative project and pulls from clips and content from the forthcoming documentary about the evolution of This Year’s Model to Spanish Model, and its continuing cultural impact more than four decades later. The trailer features many of the participating artists that have transformed these songs for the Spanish-speaking world, including Draco Rosa, Fito Páez, Nicole Zignago, Jorge Drexler, Juanes, La Marisoul, Luis Fonsi, Pablo López, Raquel Sofía, Sebastián Yatra, and Vega.

The first episode of the Spanish Model documentary series will be released September 9th, the day before the album’s release via UMe.

Directed by three-time Latin GRAMMY® award winner, Jose Tillan, and produced by The POPGarage/Abrakadabra.tv, the engrossing documentary will delve deep into the story of the original record and its innovative new incarnation, the album’s popularity and influence in Latin America, the artist’s personal connections to This Year’s Model, their love for Costello’s music, and why they wanted to be a part of this unique project. In addition to nearly all of the artists who participated in the album and producer Sebastian Krys, it also includes interviews with everyone who made the original album – Costello, The Attractions’ Steve Nieve, Bruce Thomas and Pete Thomas, engineer Roger Béchirian, and producer Nick Lowe – bringing them together in a documentary about the legendary album for the first time ever.

“We are thrilled to have worked with Elvis Costello in developing six visual content shorts that tell the story of how and why This Year’s Model becomes Spanish Model,” Jose Tillan said. “This is such a unique and completely new concept, which made the process of storytelling both challenging and adventurous. It is amazing how the DNA of the original album – both the music and themes – totally resonate with Spanish speaking artists and audiences.”

“I love the humour and heart that Jose has caught in this film,” Elvis Costello said. “It’s been great to hear all these voices and see the faces of our new friends. The whole gang’s here. One last time with feeling.”

Conceived by Elvis Costello and longtime collaborator, 18-time GRAMMY® and Latin GRAMMY® award-winning producer, Sebastian Krys, Spanish Model is a daring, first of its kind record. The songs of This Year’s Model have been expertly translated and adapted into Spanish to retain their meaning, energy, attitude, and wit. The concept represents what may be a first: an artist replacing their vocals with newly recorded performances by other artists singing in another language, backed by the original music.

As Costello and Krys began to think of artists that would be a good fit, they discovered that This Year’s Model was an important record to many artists in the pan-Latin world, but its true nature had never been fully appreciated because of the language barrier. They enlisted many Costello fans, a few who Krys and Costello felt would be a great fit for the song, and all of whom have stellar careers and were excited to participate and bring their own styles to the immediacy and poignancy of the original songs, helping to create an entirely new listening experience.

Spanish Model exudes the same kind of energy and spirit as the original but with a Latin twist. With 19 featured artists representing 10 countries and territories across the Spanish-speaking world including: Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Peru, Puerto Rico, Spain, Uruguay, plus several from the United States. The album is truly a global, collaborative affair. Costello’s spiky guitars collide with band mates Steve Nieve’s carnival-esque keys and the urgent, propulsive rhythms of bassist Bruce Thomas and drummer Pete Thomas, as The Attractions virtually back a host of Latin music legends, contemporary stars and burgeoning artists for a set of thrilling Spanish-language performances imbued with each artist’s singular identity and style.
Last edited by sweetest punch on Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
krm

Post by krm »

Neil. wrote:Elvis going a bit mental in the voiceover for the new documentary!!! LOL!

This is great and funny.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Three-time Latin GRAMMY® award winner, Jose Tillan and The POPGarage: https://www.thepopgarage.com/
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

krm wrote:
Neil. wrote:Elvis going a bit mental in the voiceover for the new documentary!!! LOL!

This is great and funny.
I agree - I loved it when I saw it!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Radio Radio will become available in a few hours: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSAGarsoNZA
A conversation between Elvis, Sebastian Krys and Fito Páez:
https://youtu.be/pdVXRH1vjVg
Lyric video: https://youtu.be/cNrIgASqFZ0
Last edited by sweetest punch on Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

Anybody know where the documentary will be shown, i.e., HBO, Netflix, theatrical release?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://twitter.com/ElvisCostello/statu ... 9173857283

".@FitoPaezMusica version of “Radio Radio” song and lyric video will be live tomorrow! Elvis Costello, Fito Páez and Sebastian Krys will be having a live chat discussing the making of the song at 8:30am PDT Friday. Set a reminder to tune-In: https://elviscostello.lnk.to/RadioVideo "
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.elviscostello.com/#!/news/299876

ELVIS COSTELLO & THE ATTRACTIONS’ 1978 CLASSIC, “RADIO, RADIO,” GETS SPANISH MAKEOVER BY ARGENTIAN STAR FITO PÁEZ
COSTELLO AND PAEZ DEBUTED THE COLLABORATION TODAY FOLLOWING A LIVE CHAT BETWEEN THE LONGTIME FRIENDS AND MUSICAL ADMIRERS
SPANISH MODEL DUE SEPTEMBER 10 VIA UMe
WATCH/SHARE VIDEO FOR “RADIO, RADIO”

The song that came to be known as “Radio Radio” began life in 1975 as “Radio Soul”, written in shameless imitation of Bruce Springsteen’s romantic references to American radio by the 20-year old D.P. MacManus.

The BBC radio of the songwriter’s youth was both magical and mundane. His father sang the hits of the day on live radio broadcasts with a dance band but the recorded music output of “The Light Programme” was limited by a quota called “Needle Time”. The music scene was only illuminated by faint signals beamed in from Radio Luxembourg and shipboard, pirate radio stations.

When Elvis Costello re-recorded his song as “Radio Radio” in 1978, it caught the frustration and disappointment of a listener playing waiting games for one precious airing of a favorite song among the deadening uniformity of daily radio.

When Elvis Costello and the Attractions toured America for the first time in November 1977, the unreleased song was already part of their repertoire. The magnitude of their task in breaking into largely indifferent and equally uniform FM (or even AM) radio became more and more apparent leading Costello to substitute the unknown song for scheduled title, live on-air during their U.S. television debut on “Saturday Night Live”.

It would have been an utter absurdity for Costello and producer Sebastian Krys to ask anyone to re-fight this ancient battle for their “Spanish Model” album but they were nevertheless startled and delighted when Fito Páez delivered a complete lyrical re-write of “Radio Radio”.

Costello tells us, “I was standing in Disneyland when the first mix arrived on my phone. I held the speaker to my ear. I heard Fito sing my name and the word “whiskey” and I knew he had taken a leap into the dark (or perhaps into the light) and that he was telling his own story”.

“We live in a world to which Joni Mitchell alluded when she wrote the line about ‘none of the crazy you get from too much choice’. Every device and each circuit is speaking to us, if not yelling at us. It isn’t always easy to hold on to what you love and value but Fito knows how to do that”.

Recording his vocal over the original Attractions instrumental parts Fito Páez sings with unique humour and passion about how he intends to tune out some of that static and nonsense by tuning in “Radio Radio”, the very song he is singing. Argentinian musician Carlos Vandera assisted with the adaptation. Spanish Model will be released September 10 via UMe.

Costello added, “What Fito has given our album is like a great episode of “The Twilight Zone” and almost incidentally an explanation of the very process of making this new album, ‘Spanish Model’. I wanted accompanying illustrated and animated clips to compliment Fito’s imaginative and funny re-interpretation”.

Musical short film by “Eamon Singer” and Arlo McFurlow imagines Fito discovering “This Year’s Model” in a San Telmo record store, hailing a cab and flying to London where he brushes pass a welcoming committee including the Queen of England, as he hails another cab to a King’s Road record shop where he discovers a copy of ‘Spanish Model’ in the racks with his face on the cover.

There is nothing else that he can do than spin the radio dial and pour a relaxing potion.
Ahead of the video’s premiere on YouTube, Costello and Páez discussed the song and album in a compelling nearly half hour chat that delved into how the longtime friends and mutual artistic admirers first met, Costello’s idea and interest in recreating this album for the Spanish-speaking world, Páez’s novel approach to the song, their similar experiences with radio in their respective countries of England and Argentina, and much more.
The conversation and video are available to watch here.

“When we discovered that the actual music on the tape was as vivid and as strong, when you took my voice away, that the band had tremendous force, had tremendous power and cohesion, it was really like a canvas prepared for a new picture,” Costello said in the chat. “Each one of the singers has come in, particularly the young women who have turned the perspective of the song on its head, that has been a transformation that has been very, very exciting to hear. Your interpretation, I didn’t want to ask you to fight a battle that we fought 43 years ago about how radio felt because radio was the only way to communicate. Radio and records, these two things had to live together.”

“Now we have a million different ways to communicate and a million ways to become confused, this is what I feel is what you said in your interpretation. I laughed so much when I heard it, when I heard you singing my name I thought wait a minute, I couldn’t follow it at the speed it was going, he just sang my name and that’s not in the lyrics and neither is whiskey. Sebastian gave me a translation back into English and I understood the humour and I thought this is perfectly pitched for the moment today that we live in a time that things are either greatly over complicated or they are so swiftly dismissed without proper consideration, either thing is a mistake, and you just have such a good humour about the way you say it and it makes our track sound like a crazier kind of energy, which I just loved.”

“The beauty of the album is that like all of these things that have been adapted throughout time in different languages, why not be able to grab something that was done in 1978 and adapt it to another language and have it be part of the opus,” Páez said. “I lived a very similar experience with radio and the way we got music down there so it was destined to happen, that I had to tell this story as well.” He went on to say about his adaptation, “In this case you had to say something that was relevant. I’m so proud of this version, it was one of the more important things I’ve done in my life.”

Sebastian Krys, the Argentinian-born, Latin GRAMMY Producer of the Year and Costello’s musical co-conspirator on Spanish Model, moderated the conversation and served as translator for Costello and Páez. He reflected on hearing Páez’s interpretation for the first time: “For me, I remember when Fito sent the song, I couldn’t believe it because it all of a sudden, in a lot of ways, explained the album. That was the song that I was like OK if somebody doesn’t understand what this album is about just listen to this song and this will explain to you what this is all about. It was just a really great moment for me when I heard his version because it really crystalized the idea.”

Spanish Model exudes the same kind of energy and spirit as the original but with a Latin twist. With 19 featured artists representing 10 countries and territories across the Spanish-speaking world including: Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Peru, Puerto Rico, Spain, Uruguay, plus several from the United States. The album is truly a global, collaborative affair. Costello’s spiky guitars collide with band mates Steve Nieve’s carnival-esque keys and the urgent, propulsive rhythms of bassist Bruce Thomas and drummer Pete Thomas, as The Attractions virtually back a host of Latin music legends, contemporary stars and burgeoning artists for a set of thrilling Spanish-language performances imbued with each artist’s singular identity and style.

Spanish Model features such artists as: Cami, Draco Rosa, Fito Páez, Francisca Valenzuela & Luis Humberto Navejas (lead singer of Enjambre), Gian Marco & Nicole Zignago, Jesse & Joy, Jorge Drexler, Juanes, La Marisoul, Luis Fonsi, Morat, Nina Diaz, Pablo López, Raquel Sofía & Fuego, Sebastián Yatra, and Vega. They sing these timeless and universal songs, which have been expertly translated and adapted into Spanish to retain their meaning, energy, attitude, and wit. The concept represents what may be a first: an artist replacing their vocals with newly recorded performances by other artists singing in another language, backed by the original music.

This Year’s Model, which has been newly remastered, will also be released concurrently on CD and 180-gram black vinyl with the addition of “Big Tears” and “Radio, Radio.” A limited edition version, that pairs both Spanish Model and the new pressing of This Year’s Model together as a 180-gram double LP, will be released exclusively via ElvisCostello.com, uDiscover and Sound Of Vinyl webstores.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Here's the Radio, Radio vid:

https://youtu.be/cNrIgASqFZ0
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Agreed.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

jardine wrote:great idea, but, well, yuck
Yeah. I mean, wow. I think.

Or do I mean 'yuck'? Genuinely can't decide. Need to listen to it a few more times.

Is this the first one we've heard that significantly reworks the original lyrics (rather than just singing them in Spanish)?
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Do we have reason to believe Target will be stocking this title in their stores? I'd think as a branded exclusive, it would make sense. On the other hand, they stock so few CDs these days and this seems like such an ultra-niche product to cram between BTS and Taylor Swift.