Spanish Model, Sept 10, 2021 - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Re: New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Post by bronxapostle »

migdd wrote:Karaoke, anyone? 8) :lol:
sounds about right.... Sebastian should be one and done. LOOK NOW and ADIOS. Lol
sulky lad

Re: New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Post by sulky lad »

bronxapostle wrote:
migdd wrote:Karaoke, anyone? 8) :lol:
sounds about right.... Sebastian should be one and done. LOOK NOW and ADIOS. Lol
The more I think about this, the more I think it's a wind-up by Elvis, surely. No-one can seriously believe that the Latino market is dying for Elvis Costello songs to the extent that it makes it commercially viable.
By the way, John and I are contemplating a further jaunt on the Cornwall trail and this time we'll unearth the tapes of The Attractions recording of My Aim Is True with Bruce singing backing vocals in the Cornish Language - "Non Karolli" as well as visiting The Gardens in Penzance to see the site of the first ever Attractions gig - and probably eat ice creams and pasties !
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

So I would think it possible that the "Spanish language" remake of an Attractions album is a wind-up. It has been known.

Here are some facts to put the idea into perspective. Elvis has played 48 shows in Spain, of which only 4 were with The Attractions, some of those shows were in Catalan speaking parts of Spain.

He has only played five shows in a Spanish-speaking country outside Europe, - all in Argentina but none with The Attractions. The most recent was in 2005. There is a long list of Spanish speaking countries in Central and Latin America where he has never toured, including Mexico. You could argue that parts of Florida or indeed some major US Cities are Spanish-speaking, but he seems to do alright in those areas already.

There is potentially an untapped market for his music in the Spanish-speaking world, but I am not sure this is the way to access it. I fear that any remake could have all the impact of "The Sweetest Punch" - Bill Frisell's 1999 partly instrumental album, released as a companion to PFM.

If you want to start thinking about Spanish-speaking singers who could be involved with the project, I would start with Vega. She has worked with Sebastian Krys and Elvis before (on her 2017 album Non Ho L'Età). On Monday 27 January she tweeted this:

"Ayer 3 personas a las q quiero respeto y admiro se subieron a recoger 1 Grammy: Mis amigos
@ElvisCostello, #PeteThomas y @SebastianKrys

Me hace muy feliz veros juntos subidos en ese estrado recogiendo lo que os pertenece. You all deserved it."

Or in "English" via Google Translate:

"Yesterday 3 people to whom I want respect and admire got in to pick up 1 Grammy: My friends
@ElvisCostello, #PeteThomas and @SebastianKrys

It makes me very happy to see you together up on that stage collecting what belongs to you. You all deserved it."

I don't wish to dismiss Sebastian Krys as a successful producer of Spanish language music. After all, he has the distinction of co-producing Elvis' only Grammy-winning album. According to Wikipedia, as a producer and mixer he won seven American Grammys and ten Latin Grammys. He's currently in the fourth spot as the Most Latin Grammys won by a Producer, third as Most Latin Grammys won by an Engineer or Mixer, and sixth as Most Latin Grammys won in a lifetime.. However, he has a job on his hands here.

MOOT
Last edited by Man out of Time on Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
krm

Post by krm »

...but which one is EC&A´s most celebrated album? Armed Forces?
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

sulky lad wrote:The more I think about this, the more I think it's a wind-up by Elvis, surely
You're a cynic.
I understand this idea was conceived at the Hartlepool Museum of Showbiz Machinery and documented there too.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

krm wrote:...but which one is EC&A´s most celebrated album? Armed Forces?
How about an Argentine version of "Shipbuilding", from PTC?

MOOT
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Moot - think Cinco Minutos Con Vos is already out there!
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

I doubt that Costello would drag Sebastian Krys's name into the fray of a charade.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Dr. Luther wrote:I doubt that Costello would drag Sebastian Krys's name into the fray of a charade.
That's VERY true.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

sweetest punch wrote:Said Costello: “The nature of that remix is going to be so surprising when you hear it, because it involves taking my voice off the record and replacing it entirely with Spanish language singers from across 12 Latin countries and Spain. … Because music doesn’t stand still. It needs to be reinterpreted. This is not a tribute record, this is a remix. It is the original backing tracks with nothing added instrumentally, interpreted by young and established and upcoming singers.”
This short article includes longer versions of these quotes (and corresponding audio):

"Sebastian's just finished remixing an album of ours from the very beginning of our career. And the nature of that remix is going to be so surprising to you when you hear it, because it involves taking my voice off the record and replacing it entirely with Spanish singers from across 12 Latin countries and Spain. And that's something that will come out later in the year as part of a revisiting of our catalogue."

"Music doesn't stand still. It needs to be reinterpreted. This is not a tribute record — this is a remix. But, it's not like one of those dance remixes where somebody adds something. It's the original backing tracks."
krm

Post by krm »

Man out of Time wrote:
If you want to start thinking about Spanish-speaking singers who could be involved with the project, I would start with Vega. She has worked with Sebastian Krys and Elvis before (on her 2017 album Non Ho L'Età). On Monday 27 January she tweeted this:

MOOT
We can add David Hidalgo of Los Lobos and Gustavo Santaolalla from Bajofondo to the list of spanishspeaking collaborators from the past. Which of course does not mean they will show up on anything new.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
This short article includes longer versions of these quotes (and corresponding audio):

"Sebastian's just finished remixing an album of ours from the very beginning of our career. And the nature of that remix is going to be so surprising to you when you hear it, because it involves taking my voice off the record and replacing it entirely with Spanish singers from across 12 Latin countries and Spain. And that's something that will come out later in the year as part of a revisiting of our catalogue."
It will be part of a revisiting of his catalogue!!!
That’s great news!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

“From the very beginning of our career”.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Ah great news, the Imposters play Flip City :shock:
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

..and Rusty.... :shock: :shock: :shock:
Harry Worth

Post by Harry Worth »

He said it is This Year's Model on stage tonight in Manchester!
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Harry Worth wrote:He said it is This Year's Model on stage tonight in Manchester!
Makes sense. In fact, i wouldn’t be surprised he had the idea after reworking “This Years Girl” for The Deuce a couple years ago with Natalie Bergman. Maybe it grew directly out of that experiment?

Elvis and his producer Sebastian Krys got hold of the original multitrack master tapes so that we could take the song apart and reconstruct it as a male/female duet,” Blake Leyh, the show’s music supervisor, tells Rolling Stone. “We tried quite a few different approaches to the duet, using different singers and different edits of the song. Sebastian had worked with Natalie before and suggested her as someone who could hold her own against Elvis’ original vocal, and when we combined their voices the idea worked.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-news ... lo-722041/
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

The Gentleman wrote:
Harry Worth wrote:He said it is This Year's Model on stage tonight in Manchester!
Makes sense. In fact, i wouldn’t be surprised he had the idea after reworking “This Years Girl” for The Deuce a couple years ago with Natalie Bergman. Maybe it grew directly out of that experiment?

Elvis and his producer Sebastian Krys got hold of the original multitrack master tapes so that we could take the song apart and reconstruct it as a male/female duet,” Blake Leyh, the show’s music supervisor, tells Rolling Stone. “We tried quite a few different approaches to the duet, using different singers and different edits of the song. Sebastian had worked with Natalie before and suggested her as someone who could hold her own against Elvis’ original vocal, and when we combined their voices the idea worked.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-news ... lo-722041/
Great recall and a little more clarity as to how the recording process may work. Maybe Elvis’ voice won’t completely disappear just be enhanced by co- vocalists perhaps a bit inspired by the bonus of having Kitten and Briana ?
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

From a post on the Steve Hoffmann forum:

Yep. What I’ve heard of it sounds great too (ssh). The band is also nearly finished with a new album, but the virus will have slowed things down on that end.
verbal gymnastics

Ulster Boy wrote:From a post on the Steve Hoffmann forum:

Yep. What I’ve heard of it sounds great too (ssh). The band is also nearly finished with a new album, but the virus will have slowed things down on that end.
The band is also nearly finished with a new album.

Is this referring to Elvis and the Imposters?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

verbal gymnastics wrote:

The band is also nearly finished with a new album.

Is this referring to Elvis and the Imposters?
How intriguing is that - particularly after the way Elvis mentioned writing songs in major (sic) keys only !
Perhaps we'll get a 20 track avalanche called "Get Jolly!" :wink:
Happy, safe holidays to all.
Love from us all.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The post on the Steve Hoffman forum is on this page:
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... 38/page-54
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Is there a link to this discussion?
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

It’s post #1341 on the link Sweetest Punch put up
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=11654

Elvis in Mojo #324:
ELVIS COSTELLO Enter the Renaissance Man of pop, bearing a new album and a definitive Armed Forces redux. How was his recent visit to the Palace? “Nobody was unpleasant.”