Spanish Model, Sept 10, 2021 - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Re: New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Post by bronxapostle »

sulky lad wrote:
sweetest punch wrote:This could be it!
And if it is Imperial Bedroom, there are a lot of interesting live versions of the songs played over the years.
They will need someone with a vast store of live recordings and the time and enthusiasm to wade through them all---- I wonder where they'll find anyone like this :shock:
Perhaps someone responsible for doing a 40 year retrospective of Elvis' live shows for example :wink:
PS I am retiring in February, Elvis !!!
I'm retiring next October...2 of the BEST!!! :lol:
Neil.

Re: New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Post by Neil. »

Is it too much to hope that this will be a DVD release of the Almost Blue Albert Hall RPO concert? I've only ever seen one clip.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Neil. wrote:Is it too much to hope that this will be a DVD release of the Almost Blue Albert Hall RPO concert? I've only ever seen one clip.
Oh great shout, Neil. Rumours circulated that Jake couldn't find anyone to release it at the time and that there was a fight with the Musicians Union over payment to the RPO and so on and later on that the piano was "out of tune" but surely anyone with even the most basic of music file editing skills could bring it up to pitch in this day and age ( I blush out of sheer modesty for some of my efforts !!)
This would be a real gem to have available- at last :D
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

So is this a yes or no? :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

The only clip we have:

https://youtu.be/eXlmGAcIWRw

Did anyone actually ever watch the first broadcast?
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

"Unprecedented new release" - the word "new" is interesting. A reissue of a classic album, even in a SDE wouldn't normally be described as "new" and "unprecedented".

On the other hand - if we got a SDE that included all the original demos plus tons of studio takes plus the most interesting live versions for something like "Get Happy!!" or "Imperial Bedroom"... that could be quite unique. Call it "The Evolution of an Album".

We've still only heard one track from the rehearsal sessions for "Imperial Bedroom" (And In Every Home) for example, so there's still plenty of unheard stuff.
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
Standstobeinsulted

Post by Standstobeinsulted »

I worked with Robert Kirby for 6 or 7 years during the mid to late 80s when he had little or nothing to do with the music industry. Top geezer. I talked to him regularly about his background in the music industry and he reminisced a lot about Nick Drake and his time with The Strawbs. On the subject of the RPO concert at the Albert Hall he was always very wistful: sharing a bottle of spirit (can't remember which one) with EC prior to the concert, both incredibly nervous and uncomfortable in their Tuxedos. He was also very much in awe of EC as both a songwriter and performer
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

even in a SDE wouldn't normally be described as "new" and "unprecedented".
I know what an STD is, but what's an SDE?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Super Deluxe Edition.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Standstobeinsulted

Post by Standstobeinsulted »

Always important to know your TLAs
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Of course - ta!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.google.be/amp/s/variety.com ... 81796/amp/

(...)
Elvis Costello also revealed a future project: an in-the-works remix of his classic catalog by Sebastian Krys due out later this year. Said Costello: “The nature of that remix is going to be so surprising when you hear it, because it involves taking my voice off the record and replacing it entirely with Spanish language singers from across 12 Latin countries and Spain. … Because music doesn’t stand still. It needs to be reinterpreted. This is not a tribute record, this is a remix. It is the original backing tracks with nothing added instrumentally, interpreted by young and established and upcoming singers.”
(...)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Is this where the idea for this new release came from
(putting Natalie Bergman’s vocals on This Year’s Girl’s backing track for the theme song of HBO’s The Deuce):
http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=11177 ?
Last edited by sweetest punch on Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Whilst I quite enjoyed the singing of La Marisol on Cinco Minutos Con Vos on Wise Up Ghost, this idea just makes me cringe -
Elvis' voice is never going to match the state it was when Attractions albums were first recorded so if vocals needed amending why not just get Briana and Kitten ( and Davey) to provide backing vocals - but it all seems rather trite imho.
jardine

Post by jardine »

if w. spanish singers/lyrics, could open a whole new audience for e.c.s songs?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Well well! If this isn't just Elvis winding up the press with a wild story, then, well, good luck to him! I'm all for him making an income from his work in whatever way he can. Google Translate must be taking a hammering at the moment in McManus Towers!
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

sulky lad wrote:Whilst I quite enjoyed the singing of La Marisol on Cinco Minutos Con Vos on Wise Up Ghost, this idea just makes me cringe -
Elvis' voice is never going to match the state it was when Attractions albums were first recorded so if vocals needed amending why not just get Briana and Kitten ( and Davey) to provide backing vocals - but it all seems rather trite imho.
My understanding is that Elvis isn't going to be on this at all. This will be other singers.
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
verbal gymnastics

I agree it will open up new markets and if it introduces new fans to seek out songs by Elvis himself then there’s nothing wrong with that.

I can’t say that at first reading it’s anything to get me excited by.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

I hope this is NOT what he has gotten us all excited about. This has the makings of something no more than a tribute. Unless he is being facetious and teasing us. As an adjunct something or other, okay. BUT NOT AS THE INSPIRING RELEASE HE MADE US THINK WE WERE ACQUIRING!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

I think (hope?) he's joking.

Taking the piss, as some folks here might say.
verbal gymnastics

sweetest punch wrote:https://www.google.be/amp/s/variety.com ... 81796/amp/

(...)
Elvis Costello also revealed a future project: an in-the-works remix of his classic catalog by Sebastian Krys due out later this year. Said Costello: “The nature of that remix is going to be so surprising when you hear it, because it involves taking my voice off the record and replacing it entirely with Spanish language singers from across 12 Latin countries and Spain. … Because music doesn’t stand still. It needs to be reinterpreted. This is not a tribute record, this is a remix. It is the original backing tracks with nothing added instrumentally, interpreted by young and established and upcoming singers.”
(...)
How would this be an unprecedented release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums as per the original press release?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

verbal gymnastics wrote:How would this be an unprecedented release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums as per the original press release?
An album of Spanish reworkings of all the songs from This Year's Model (for example) would fit that description.
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:How would this be an unprecedented release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums as per the original press release?
Maybe just meant one of Elvis' most celebrated releases, due to Grammy win, Look Now would indeed fall into that realm. :?:
verbal gymnastics

I read “An in-the-works remix of his classic catalog” as songs from different albums rather than as described.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Karaoke, anyone? 8) :lol: