Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

Steve Nieve Plays Elvis Costello - Los Angeles, Jan. 18, 2020

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://wl.seetickets.us/event/STEVE-NI ... TheCoronet

STEVE NIEVE PLAYS ELVIS COSTELLO WITH SPECIAL GUEST AJUQ
Saturday, January 18, 2020, 08:00PM
at Largo at the Coronet

Steve Nieve member of the rock and roll hall of fame, has been playing keyboards for ElvisCostello for more than thirty years, firstly as a member of The Attractions, and in more recent times with The Imposters. Steve worked on all but three of Costello’s 30 studio albums, including those with Burt Bacharach and Anne Sophie von Otter. Other artists Steve’s keyboard stylings have graced include the Neville Brothers, Hot House Flowers, Graham Parker, Squeeze, Tim Finn, Kirsty MacCall, Madness, Nick Heywood, Morressey, David Bowie, Vanessa Paradis, Sting, Alain Bashung and others.

Perhaps the most intimate and riveting performances, however, were those where Elvisand Steve toured together creating a spellbinding tour-de-force of piano, guitar andvoice. Anybody who has witnessed these or indeed any of Elvis Costello's live shows will appreciate the special magic that occurs when Steve Nieve is let loose to solo on the piano.

Now, finally, get to experience a full evening of this magic as Steve and his piano takecenter stage. “Steve Nieve plays Elvis Costello with special guest Ajuq” and a whole lot more. You will hear themes from Steve’s piano solo records “Keyboard Jungle” “It’s Raining Somewhere” “Lazy Point” - from “Windows” from “Welcome to the Voice””. Ajuq contributed to every track on “Together” and in his own inimitable vocal style will sing some unexpected Costello songs.. Ajuq will also share some of his songs in a stripped bare unplugged mood. He just returned from a tour in Taiwan with a traditional Taiwanese Orchestra playing Ajuq’s music. Steve Nieve joined him in this adventure. Steve and Ajuq also plan to perform some Mark Hollis songs in tribute to the leader of Talk Talk.

A great new concert to discover.
sweetest punch

Re: Steve Nieve Plays Elvis Costello - Los Angeles, Jan. 18, 2020

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.seetickets.us/event/STEVE-N ... JUQ/398933

Nieve says, "It’s with huge pleasure, happiness, and excitement that I can announce my good friend Benmont Tench, founding member of the Heartbreakers, Works Progress Administration, keyboards on The Who album out this month, this maestro of the piano is joining us on stage at Largo on the 18th of Jan”. Prepare yourselves for some 4 handed keyboard magic! And some deep song choices.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.noise11.com/news/steve-nieve ... a-20191225

Steve Nieve To Perform The Songs Of Elvis Costello In The USA
Steve Nieve has three ‘Steve Nieve Plays Elvis Costello’ shows planned for California in January.

Elvis Costello endorses the show. “After playing 34 years with me it was almost predictable this could happen, however it’s a surprise to discover these tunes revisited by my friend, never too close to the ‘model’ and never so far from the spirit,” he said of his friend and band mate.

Steve added, “Once I get in front of an audience of bold listeners with my piano, be it an upright or a grand, with these enormous songs, the evening seems to go by in a flash.”

Tour Dates
January 5, 2020 CASBAH San Diego
January 8, 2020 CHAPEL San Francisco
January 18, 2020 LARGO Los Angeles

Benmont Tench from The Heartbreakers will join Steve at the Largo, LA show. Steve says, “It’s with huge pleasure, happiness, and excitement that my good friend Benmont Tench, founding member of the Heartbreakers, Works Progress Administration, keyboards on The Who album out this month, this maestro of the piano is joining us on stage at Largo. Prepare yourselves for some 4 handed keyboard magic! And some deep song choices.”

Paris singer Ajuq will supply vocals. The show will feature songs from Elvis Costello, some of Steve’s solo work and a tribute to the late Mark Hollis of Talk Talk.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

Tickets purchased, anyone else going?
And No Coffee Table

Great show! Besides Ajuq and Benmont Tench, there were guest appearances by Pete Thomas, Davey Faragher, Jenni Muldaur, and Joe Sumner. Several lesser played songs ("Passionate Fight," "April 5th," "He's Given Me Things"). I'll post the full setlist in the near future.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Wow!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Wow!
Double wow - the Imposters and then some !
krm

Post by krm »

I add an extra Wow!
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

A truly magical evening, Steve told some great stories in his almost slightly awkward style. Pete was in the bar before hand chatting away ( he said Davey would be there) and sat in the audience before sneaking out for the final songs. So glad i made the journey.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Sounds like an epic evening
And No Coffee Table

And No Coffee Table wrote:I'll post the full setlist in the near future.
This is one song short of the full setlist, because I have not yet identified the opening instrumental.

Steve solo:
01. unidentified (instrumental)
02. Shipbuilding (instrumental)
03. The Loved Ones (instrumental)
04. The Birds Will Still Be Singing (mostly instrumental with occasional off-mic vocal)
05. Englishman in St Germain
06. Muriel Wishes

story about working with David Bowie and Mick Jagger

Steve & Ajuq (sung by Ajuq except where noted):
07. Country Darkness
08. April 5th (Steve sings Rosanne Cash's part, Ajuq sings EC's, they split Kris Kristofferson's)
09. Mr. Lonely (Bobby Vinton cover)

Steve solo:
10. Roads
11. Carnival

Steve & Ajuq (sung by Ajuq):
12. Tous les jours (Ajuq song)
13. Let Go (Ajuq song, not sure of title)
14. Passionate Fight

story about Paul McCartney

Steve solo:
15. Jenny Wren (Steve sings a verse or two from the Paul McCartney song to introduce Jenni Muldaur)

Steve & Jenni Muldaur (sung by Jenni Muldaur):
16. Indoor Fireworks
17. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror

story about selecting a Steinway piano with snippets of Goldberg Variations (Bach), Life on Mars (Bowie), Big Chief (Professor Longhair), and Shot With His Own Gun

Benmont Tench solo:
18. Dreaming of Arkansas
19. You Should Be So Lucky

Steve & Benmont Tench (sung by Benmont Tench):
20. Learning to Fly (Benmont and Steve share the piano)
21. American Girl (Benmont on piano, Steve on small electronic keyboard)

The Imposters & Ajuq:
22. He's Given Me Things (sung by Ajuq)

The Imposters, Ajuq & Benmont Tench:
23. Oliver's Army (sung by Ajuq and Steve)

All of the above plus Joe Sumner:
24. Pump It Up (sung by Davey Faragher, everyone on backing vocals)
25. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding? (sung by Steve and Ajuq, everyone on backing vocals)
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

wish i known you were there, we could have said hello :D
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Thanks for the great setlist keeping ANCT. Do you contribute at setlist.fm? Would love to see it there.... i guess i can if not. As you are so close, i wouldn't be surprised if Steve would answer your question via email or fbook regarding the opening song! Glad that you went... happy 2020 friend.
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

Steve is really good at replying to his email expediteur@aol.com
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

supplydavid wrote:Steve is really good at replying to his email expediteur@aol.com
Yes, he REALLY is!!! AND I AM TRYING TO BE GOOD AT ADDING THIS TO SETLIST.FM; some sbows are more tedious than others. THIS ONE IS REAL TOUGH between guests and covers performed. But, i am trying to make good for all the great help ANCT always provides me with assisting with entries at the wiki. I'm trying! :lol: :lol:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/steve-ni ... b646c.html
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/ste ... 203505874/

When Keyboard Worlds Collide: Steve Nieve & Benmont Tench in Conversation
The Rock and Roll Hall of Famers from Elvis Costello's and Tom Petty's bands discuss their respective styles and mutual admiration society.
Chris Willman

It’s only natural that the two greatest band keyboard players in the annals of rock would have formed a mutual admiration society. These would be Steve Nieve, of Elvis Costello & the Attractions and later the Imposters, and Benmont Tench, of Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers fame.

There are other contenders for the aforementioned accolade, of course — other non-slouches include the Band’s Garth Hudson, who’s one of Tench’s oft-mentioned heroes, and the two E Street Band keyboardists, for starters — but Tench and Nieve really have very little competition when it comes to players with a signature style in Rock & Roll Hall of Fame groups who also, incidentally, proved capable of playing just about anything and everything outside of those bands.

In what counted as a historic musical summit meeting, Nieve and Tench recently performed together publicly for the first time, doing “four-handed piano” at a gig by the former at L.A.’s Largo club. The occasion was a local stop on one of his very occasional “Steve Nieve Plays Elvis Costello” tours (another leg of which will hit the States later this year), in which it turns out the songs by his frontman of nearly 45 years can be just as magnifique when Nieve, who now resides in Paris, returns here to play them sans band. But the Imposters, sans Costello, did sit in for part of the Largo gig, and it wasn’t just Elvis’ material being played — it was a mixture of both their boss/muses’ work, with “American Girl” and “Learning to Fly” sitting in the set alongside “Oliver’s Army” and a piano-driven “Pump It Up.”

Both are Hall of Famers, but Nieve just joined the Grammy owners’ club for the first time, as Elvis Costello and the Imposters’ “Look Now” got him his first of those trophies. Says Nieve, “Burt Bacharach, Anne Sophie Von Otter, Squeeze, Madness, Vanessa Paradis, Sting, Bowie, Elvis — working with all these artists is so f—ing special, and helps me to receive happily this award without feeling I’m an Imposter.”

Variety sat down with Nieve and Tench before their Largo gig recently to commemorate the meeting of minds and fingertips.

You must’ve crossed paths pretty early on, with both groups on the rise in the late ’70s. Do you remember when you guys first met?

TENCH: That’s a damn good question. We didn’t speak when we first crossed paths. Because we split the bill in Chicago at the Riviera Theater — right? — and we walked past each other. We were always just kind of arrogant, so I remember we walked past them backstage in the hall, and they were going this way and we were going this way. Or at least I walked past everybody and I was just going “grumble grumble grumble grumble.” Because I was so intimidated, because they were so f—ing great!

NIEVE: It’s funny that you think you were being arrogant, because I had the feeling we were being arrogant.

TENCH: I think we were both being arrogant. Probably we were a match for each other in arrogance. But inside, I was a pussycat. And then I went to see them play the five shows at the Beverly Theater, the Singing Songbook (series of shows by Costello in L.A. in 1986), alternating the Confederates and the Attractions (as backing bands). And at the end of the fourth night, Jake (Rivera, Costello’s then-manager) said, “You’re coming to Philadelphia,” and I’m like, what? Mitchell Froom couldn’t play the Philadelphia date at the very end of the tour with the Confederates. And I said, “Well, can I at least meet Elvis, if I’m playing a show with him?” And it was soon after that that I met you and Pete in a hotel.

NIEVE: He’s got a better memory than I do, because my memory is a bit pickled from those periods. But then I remember, a bit later on, Benmont played on Vanessa Paradis’ record “Bliss.” And I ended up doing the tour. He did the record, and I did the touring. It was great because I had a lot of Benmont keyboards to get to know, and it was fantastic.

You have such different signature styles and different musical backgrounds. What have you admired about each other that you think might be in a different wheelhouse than your own?

TENCH: He’s one of the guys who made his own sound in a really different way. I’m a big fan. I didn’t know why he had the Vox Continental, but I figured it was because Jake wanted to be able to keep the costs down and throw everything in the van, and a Continental you can actually throw in a van. I’ve still got to ask him how he gets the sound. Because I use my Continental and I do things with the drawbars and it doesn’t do that. So, yeah. I’m a big fan. He and Garth Hudson just convinced me to throw out every rule as far as playing a song the way that it is on the record, unless it’s something that’s too basic like “Breakdown” or “Refugee.” I saw him at the Greek in Berkeley, and I could almost see his mind working, because he had the Yamaha electric piano, and he had an emulator for samples, and the Continental and maybe something else. And it looked like he was just going, “I’m gonna do this. Oh, I’m gonna do that over here.” Especially by the time “Imperial Bedroom,” came around, it looked like you were going like off the map, playing a song and then sometimes going into uncharted territory. And I really liked that, and I was doing a little bit of that with the Heartbreakers. But after I saw that show at the Greek in Berkeley, I went, “Oh, the hell with it. Why not?” I was always trying to do that, but after that show, I went, “Yeah, of course.” And Tom, he probably couldn’t hear me, so I got away with it! But I can’t play like Steve plays — I can’t physically play like Steve plays. Because I didn’t practice!

NIEVE: That’s the same for me. I can’t play like Benmont plays, and I think it’s also to do with the fact that you’re really from the American tradition.

TENCH: Well, I’m from the American South…

NIEVE: I mean, obviously we can hear that in England, but the English thing is totally different. And my whole thing was trying to do classical music and not really being very happy about that — and trying to get away from it. So I think that’s a slightly different reason for my thing, whereas his thing is coming from a deep well of… You know, I adore American piano music, from places like New Orleans…

TENCH: You guys (Costello and Nieve) toured with Allen Toussaint.

NIEVE: Yeah, we did a record with Allen Toussaint (2006’s “The River in Reverse”) and toured with him. It was fantastic for me. But you know, Ben can do all that stuff. It’s natural to him.

TENCH: A little bit of it. But the thing is that I really like about the Attractions is that they are a four-piece band, and Elvis plays really cool guitar, but they’re not a guitar band. Steve kind of plays, to me, the (John) Entwistle role in the Who, which is like: You’rethe lead guitar. Davey (Faragher, the bassist in the Imposters) and Bruce Thomas (bassist for the Attractions) kind of did that, too. So that’s a different thing than us (in the Heartbreakers). I learned to pare it down and pare it down and pare it down, and get it smaller and smaller and smaller, so that I could cut through the guitars and come up with something that worked and simplify it — and also go Booker T, where you just keep it a simple thing, and you try to emulate that. And I would try to play like Steve, but I physically can’t. And you can’t get into another musician’s head. Not really. I mean, it’s a good source when there’s another musician you respect and whose band you really dig, and then you go, “Oh, wait, that’sreally cool. Can I adapt and apply that to what the band I’m in does?” And I did, in a few places. I grabbed it. But it’s also because I have a lot of you guys’ records, and I’d just listen to ‘em because I liked ‘em, and it’d kind of seep in.

So, Benmont, recognizing that you had more guitars to compete against in the Heartbreakers, you still found a way to do something of what you thought he was doing as a lead player in the Attractions?

TENCH: It wasn’t compete against. It was a guitar band. It’s like the Rolling Stones are two guitars, bass, drums and Ian Stewart — and I was in the Ian Stewart role. And mostly you would hear Brian Jones and Keith (Richards). And so I was down back there. But yeah… I got a Continental, and I told Steve just a minute ago, he’s got to tell me where the drawbar is set. I can’t make it sound like that. I just want the drawbar settings for some of that stuff on the Continental. But this is great, because we get to play together, so I can see, “Oh, he does that voice, and wait, the rhythm is that? I thought it was this.” And so it’s really fun. I’m having a great time, and playing four-handed piano, I just don’t get to do.

NIEVE: It’s an interesting piano, this one at Largo, as well. Doesn’t it have a weird history, this piano?

TENCH: It took me 10 years to get a grip on playing that piano, playing it time after time at Largo and going, ”Dammit. I played it, but it didn’t make a note!”

NIEVE: It’s a really weird piano. It makes funny noises as well. Certain notes, it sounds like somebody’s losing it. And it’s quite interesting. It’s not ugly; it’s got a spark, or…

TENCH: It’s got some kind of soul, and you can play all sorts of things on it. And if you’re Jon Brion (who has a monthly Largo residency), you can play anything. I played a solo show at argo, and I brought my Steinway, and I think I wound up playing half the songs on that (house) piano, just because it’s such a great, odd thing.

Can you think of any sort of favorite moments that you remember the other doing on a record?

TENCH: It’s too hard. Because you don’t listen like that. Right? You listen to a record and you dig the whole record.

NIEVE: When I hear Ben playing, I just think that I would like to know the drawbar settings that he has with the Hammond. It just sounds so perfect.

TENCH: We like each other’s drawbar settings. I stole mine from Al Kooper when we opened for him.

NIEVE: There’s a whole art to setting up the Hammond so that it just sounds great, and he knows what it is. I’m still learning.

TENCH: All of this stuff is very arcane. Very insular. The essential thing, the spirit of it, is that you’re playing really great songs with really great songwriters. I don’t know about you, but a lot of the time, the best I would be at coming up with what to play would be to just get my mind completely empty, almost get where I couldn’t physically see, and just sink into the song, instead of trying to arrange or do anything like that, and just let the song show what it wanted to happen. But I don’t know how you guys worked, or work.

NIEVE: I think that’s how I work a little bit, is just to try to get a feeling going from what we’re playing, rather than knowing what we’re supposed to play, and let that feeling tell you what you’re gonna do. Sometimes it’s different.

TENCH: It’s a Zen thing.

With Costello, Steve, sometimes you are just playing something really beautiful and sincere to a beautiful piece of music he’s written, but sometimes there is almost a level of wit and irony, too, like on an “Oliver’s Army,” where there is a fantastic grandiosity that is almost a counterpoint to the grit of the lyrics. Is that ever conscious, or are you just playing what feels right at the time?

NIEVE: Yeah, I think there’s a lot of variety in that. Sometimes you’re conscious of it, but sometimes the consciousness is what gets in the way of things. That’s when it goes wrong, a little bit, sometimes.

TENCH: The thing is, “Oliver’s Army,” it’s a joyous rock song about dark subject matter, so there’s that. But yeah, I think when you start thinking too much, sometimes, that’s the wrong thing…

It’s weird. Our bands are extraordinarily different. And our functions in the bands are extraordinarily different. We became friends through Vanessa Paradis, and it’s really great, and every time I’m in Paris, I try to get together with him and Muriel. And it’s actually no more than that. If we start to think about it or talk about it too much, we’ll probably never speak again. [Laughs.]