Elvis & The Imposters play Milwaukee, WI on November 26, 2019

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters play Milwaukee, WI on November 26, 2019

Post by Man out of Time »

The JustTrust Tour 2019 reaches its conclusion at the Miller High Life Theatre in Milwaukee on Tuesday November 26. The venue was previously the Milwaukee Auditorium, where Elvis and the Attractions first played in August 1983. This is Elvis' thirteenth show in the City, so let us hope there is nothing significant about that.

Writing in "On Milwaukee" on June 24, Bobby Tanzilo had this to say about the show:

"36 years after his last show there, Elvis Costello returns to High Life Theatre

Thirty-six years after Elvis Costello last played the venue, he returns – this time with The Imposters instead of the Attractions – to perform at the Miller High Life Theatre, 500 W. Kilbourn Ave., on Tuesday, Nov. 26.

According to the announcement, the show – part of Costello's latest tour, called "Just Trust," in response to the musical questions: "Will they play my favourite song?," or, "Are they going to frighten the horses with a lot of excellent songs that are rarely performed?," not to mention, "Can I expect the hits of yesteryear and those of tomorrow?" – comes nearly four decades after E.C. and the Attractions played at what was then called the Auditorium as part of the "Punch the Clock" tour.

Trainspotters may remember opener Aztec Camera's ill-fated set, cut short by technical difficulties.

"Just Trust," apparently, does not mean he will only play songs from 1981's "Trust."

Tickets for this year's show – which is the tour's closing night, at the moment – go on sale on Friday, June 28 at 10 a.m. at the Miller High Life Theatre box office and Ticketmaster.com.

Costello is touring this summer as a co-headliner with Blondie."

Tickets for the show are priced at : $40.00, $45.00, $59.00, $79.00, $99.00, $125.00
At the venue, the balcony seats are not being sold - presumably through lack of demand. Despite which there remain 100's of unsold seats (2 weeks before the show), so if anyone has not yet seen this tour, or has seen it and wants to catch it again before it finishes, get yourself to Milwaukee.
Milwaukee Seating Chart Nov 12 2019
Milwaukee Seating Chart Nov 12 2019
Milwaukee seats available .png (133.27 KiB) Viewed 13405 times
Who's going?

MOOT
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Milwaukee, WI on November 26, 2019

Post by bronxapostle »

Sadly, it looks like only 300 ARE going. :oops: :oops:
Man out of Time

So this is curious. Apparently in the light of limited ticket sales, the auditorium for this show in Milwaukee has shrunk. Compare the image on TicketB*****d here, with that (above) from ten days ago.
Milwaukee seats available
Milwaukee seats available
j2019-11-26 Milwaukee seating plan.png (141.8 KiB) Viewed 13261 times
Available seats are shown in blue. It looks like the theatre has closed off blocks of seats further back and moved anyone who had bought seats there further forward. That makes good sense. What it does mean though is that the "cheap" seats further back are unavailable and anyone still wanting to buy a ticket has to pay at least $56.

Who's going?

MOOT
Man out of Time

Urban Milwaukee has this brief announcement, posted 4 days ago:

"Surprise! Grab Two Tickets to See Elvis Costello!

Sorry, this offering is only for Urban Milwaukee members.

To become a member, visit our easy-to-use sign-up page. Membership starts at $9/month."

Sadly another indication that ticket sales have not picked up as much as one would like.

MOOT
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Why did he end the tour there anyway?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _Milwaukee

01. Strict Time
02. Clubland
03. Green Shirt
04. Accidents Will Happen - including Be Real
05. Lip Service
06. Watch Your Step
07. Little Triggers
08. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
09. Uncomplicated - including Shotgun
10. Country Darkness
11. Suit Of Lights
12. Mystery Dance
13. Watching The Detectives - including Invisible Lady
14. The Greatest Love
15. Blood & Hot Sauce
16. A Face In The Crowd
17. This Year's Girl
18. Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter
19. High Fidelity
20. Party Girl
21. From A Whisper To A Scream
22. Everyday I Write The Book - including Mr. Big Stuff
23. Pump It Up
24. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
25. Slow Down
26. Alison - including You've Been Cheatin', The Wind Cries Mary and I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
Last edited by And No Coffee Table on Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://twitter.com/ElvisCostello/statu ... 7271093248
Elvis Costello wrote:Last night of #justtrustusa2019 in Milwaukee. Thanks to the happy few who attended. I think we have a slice of cake for each and every one of you. Thanks also go to Robbie, Toast and all our crew, drivers and hosts. Until the next time. E.C. & The Imposters, Kitten and Briana

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

The happy few that attended got a great show!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:The happy few that attended got a great show!
The only thing predictable about our guy, HE IS SO UNPREDICTABLE!! The last night of the tour, in the apparently least attended theater, he did the seemingly longest show. :lol: :lol: all well and good wanting to go out strong. Then, after 23 shows of ALWAYS debuting at least one song NOT yet done on the tour, last night, he goes with NOTHING new. In 2013 after a similar number of shows, he premiered fourteen on the last night (6 years ago tonight!!!) Like i always say, you never know with Elvis. God bless his wild spirit for MANY more tours to entertain us all.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://shepherdexpress.com/music/conce ... he-book/[b]

Elvis Costello Still Writes the Book
[/b]
Elvis Costello and the Imposters played the final show of their 2019 "Just Trust" tour Tuesday night at the Miller High Life Theatre, with Costello saying there was no place he’d rather be than this intimate venue.

A mere 36 years ago, Costello and the Attractions played the same room when it was known as the Milwaukee Auditorium. That night, his song “Every Day I Write the Book” was on the Billboard charts. This night, he reprised the tune, but Billboard has been off Costello’s radar for a long time.

“These songs we are playing tonight are ones I want to hear. That’s why it’s called ‘Just Trust’—just trust us,” Costello said. And for years now, fans from casual to hardcore could trust the artist, even when his whims would test the patience of most other fanbases.

Costello’s catholic taste has led to a dossier dotted with musical bullet points from opera to country and western and collaborations with Burt Bacharach, Chet Baker, Marian McPartland and Paul McCartney.

But tonight, Costello served up over two dozen of his most memorable songs backed by The Imposters. His band featured keyboardist Steve Nieve and drummer Pete Thomas, both holdovers from The Attractions, plus bassist Davey Faragher and vocalists Kitten Kuroi and Briana Lee. To call it a “best of” ignores the fact Costello could show up again tomorrow and play an equally satisfying set list without repeating a tune.

The one-time “angry young man” certainly acknowledged his early albums with an opening volley of tunes (“Strict Time,” “Clubland,” “Green Shirt,” “Accidents Will Happen,” “Lip Service,” “Watch Your Step” and “Little Triggers”) coming from his first five albums.

Sporting a black-spangled tuxedo coat and red fedora, Costello was master of ceremonies as he generously shared the spotlight with Nieve, who surveyed his kingdom of keyboards from behind a grand piano. His musical introductions and virtuosity have always walked the line of playful gravitas. The addition of Kuroi and Lee allowed for vocal arrangements that added depth to the songs, especially “Suit of Lights” and Allen Toussaint’s “The Greatest Love.” Even more impressive was that Lee was onstage “disobeying doctor’s orders,” having missed the Madison show with the flu.

Here was Costello the music nerd. Picking up an oddball, green, sunburst, 12-string Burns guitar, he rambled into an anecdote about wanting to hear Sir Doug and Freddy Fender on the radio and arguing with the lady cab driver who wanted to hear Pink Floyd. He also managed drop in a handful of footnotes in his tunes, including musical quotes from Jean Knight, The Supremes and Jimi Hendrix. “A Face in the Crowd,” the song from Costello’s upcoming musical (based on the Andy Griffith movie), referenced The Staple Singers’ gospel hit, “Uncloudy Day.” The evening’s encore included Beatles-by-way-of-Larry Williams “Slow Down.”

There may be a certain resignation that Costello has grown into his long-craved torch singer role, which is fitting, especially when recalling his vocalist father’s career. But Costello’s free-ranging stylistic appetite is best served with raucous tunes like the thinly veiled rockabilly of “Mystery Dance” or the noir faux reggae of “Watching the Detectives.” The latter saw the singer bathed in ominous red footlights as his twangy Fender Jazzmaster played in a reverse loop for an effect that matched the woozy lurid pulp novels and movies posters projected behind him.

Costello playfully referenced his early career with a series of backdrop images that played up the cover photos for his album, This Year’s Model. The images would also flash references to lyrics and titles. For Nick Lowe’s “(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding,” the backdrop would broadcast anti-war messages, including military photos of Costello’s grandfathers, one of whom was a prisoner of war.

Surveying the audience, this was an evening for folks who likely had not heard the term 401K the first time they heard Elvis Costello. There were rabid fans in the front row singing every word back to the singer and a dad from Rhode Island who made the trip with his son from Chicago.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://onmilwaukee.com/music/articles/ ... eview.html

Elvis Costello closes out U.S. tour with an energetic Milwaukee show

Elvis Costello and The Imposters' tour is called "Just Trust," which might feel like a reference to Costello's acclaimed and accomplished 1981 "Trust" LP, but the band's energetic show at the Miller High Life Theatre on Tuesday night transported this writer back in time to a couple years after that.

In the summer of 1983, Costello and his then-band, The Attractions – which has the same lineup as The Imposters, with only a different bassist and the addition of two singers – were on tour for their record "Punch the Clock," and performed in this very same space, which was then called the Milwaukee Auditorium.

It was the first major concert I saw after I moved to Milwaukee a couple months before. In fact, upon arriving, I found my ticket waiting for me, courtesy of my mom, and it was comforting to hear a familiar voice and see – if across a wide gulf of seats – a familiar face.

The current tour, which opened Oct. 23 in Charlottesville, Virginia, came to a close here in Milwaukee last night, and, while the word "Trust" is part of the tour's name, it should not imply a focus on that great record.

This despite the potentially misleading fact early on in the show that the first two tunes Tuesday night – "In Strict Time" and "Clubland" – appear on that LP. Costello and company only revisited "Trust" a couple more times across a show that ran more than two hours.

Before the tour kicked off, a press release clarified the name of the jaunt: "The tour is entitled, 'Just Trust' in answer to the musical questions: 'Will they play my favorite song?,' or, 'Are they going to frighten the horses with a lot of excellent songs that are rarely performed?,' not to mention, 'Can I expect the hits of yesteryear and those of tomorrow?' To which we say: Just Trust Elvis Costello and The Imposters."

Costello – who was recently bestowed the title of Officer of the Order of the British Empire in recognition of his "services to music" – further added at Tuesday's show, "These songs we're playing tonight are just the songs I want to hear."

And those songs offered dips into most eras of his long career. Costello's most recent record, "Look Now," released last year, is his 30th studio set, so there's a lot from which to choose.

He tapped "Mystery Dance" and "Alison" from his debut, "My Aim Is True," while "Lip Service," "Pump It Up" and Little Triggers" represented the follow-up, "This Year's Model." "Accidents Will Happen" and "Green Shirt" came from his third record, "Armed Forces," and he pulled "High Fidelity" from the next one, "Get Happy!!"

Some of those 30 records went completely unrepresented, as you might expect, but he did pluck a gem each from his late '80s trio of masterworks, "King of America," "Blood and Chocolate" and "Spike."

Costello slipped in some unexpected covers, too, including Larry Williams' "Slow Down" and "Be Real," by the Sir Douglas Quintet.

Interestingly, Costello – ever moving forward on an astonishingly wide-ranging array of projects (think collaborations with the The Brodsky Quartet, Burt Bacharach and Allen Toussaint, for starters) – didn't play much recent material – just one track from "Look Now," and a pair of tunes from an upcoming musical he's working on called "A Face in the Crowd."

Honestly, that sat just fine with a crowd on hand that appeared, like me, to have been along for the ride for a very long time. That voice that was already comforting to me by 1983 has been, along with Paul Weller's, part of the soundtrack of nearly my entire life by now. I'd venture to guess the same is true for many of the folks around me at Tuesday's show.

Donning a sparkling black jacket, black shirt and pants, and bright red hat and tie, Costello played with fire, as did his longtime band, with drummer Pete Thomas chipping in his usual fiery dynamics and keyboardist Steve Nieve at times literally running between a grand piano and his other keyboards.

If Costello's voice strayed a bit once in a while, remember that this Milwaukee show was the last of about two dozen in a row, which can take a toll.

While Scotland's poppy Aztec Camera opened the 1983 show – with a set cut short by technical problems – there was no opening act at Tuesday's performance.

Instead we saw pre-show projections on a backdrop that included a copy of an ad for Costello's 1977 Milwaukee debut at the Electric Ballroom (at the State Theater) almost 42 years ago to the day.

"It was Thanksgiving then, too," he said to a crowd that likely couldn't have asked for a better holiday week gift.

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.