Elvis & The Imposters play Memphis, TN, on November 15, 2019

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters play Memphis, TN, on November 15, 2019

Post by Man out of Time »

The JustTrust Tour 2019 arrives in Memphis Tennessee on November 15, 2019. This will be Elvis' sixteenth appearance in Memphis. That number includes six shows at the HI-Tone Cafe in 2004 around the time of the recording and release of ''The Delivery Man".

Elvis is appearing for the first time ever at the Soundstage at Graceland, part of a large entertainment complex across the street from the Graceland mansion, which was home to the other Elvis. Could Jake Riviera ever have envisaged such an event, back in 1977, when he gave Declan McManus the name "Elvis" and had "Elvis is King" included on the artwork for MAIT?

But 40+ years on, this does not seem so odd. The soundstage at Graceland seats 1700.

This preview by Bob Mehr appeared in the Memphis newspaper The Commercial Appeal on June 24.

" Elvis Costello to play Elvis Presley's Graceland this fall

Elvis is coming to Memphis — Elvis Costello that is. The Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Famer will make his way to the Bluff City to play his namesake Elvis Presley’s Graceland Soundstage on Nov. 15.

The show is part of a fall headlining tour for the veteran singer-songwriter and his backing band that is being dubbed “Just Trust Elvis Costello and the Imposters.” The lineup will feature Costello’s longtime backers the Imposters, featuring Steve Nieve on keyboards, Pete Thomas on drums, Davey Faragher on bass, as well as vocalists Kitten Kuroi and Briana Lee, all of whom appeared on his most recent release, 2018’s “Look Now.”

Costello spent much of the summer as part of a package tour with Blondie. His “Just Trust” tour will kick off Oct. 23 in Charlottesville, Virginia, and wrap up just over a month later in Milwaukee on Nov. 26, for a total of 24 shows.

The London-born, Liverpool-raised Costello — born Declan Patrick MacManus — came to prominence in the late-'70s, amid the U.K.’s punk rock/new wave boom. Originally performing as D.P. Costello, his manager suggested he take the Elvis moniker. He legally changed his name to Elvis Costello in 1977 — shortly before the passing of Elvis Presley.

In something of a surprise earlier this month — given his often-trenchant views on British government and politics — Costello was recognized with an official British Empire Honor, for his service to the arts.

Costello’s show at the Graceland Soundstage follows a couple other alternative music bookings at the venue this year. The Soundstage, which is booked by LiveNation, has been expanding its range of artists, with recent shows including dates by LA punk band X and the Midwest anti-folkers Violent Femmes. Tickets for the Elvis Costello show will go on sale this Friday at 10 a.m. at Gracelandlive.com or by calling (877) 777-0606."

Will Elvis sing Suspicious Minds, or Mystery Train or His Latest Flame or Little Sister? Will he play "Worthless Thing" or "The Delivery Man" both of which reference Elvis Presley? Who's going to find out?

MOOT
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Memphis, TN, on November 15, 2019

Post by sweetest punch »

Anyone going?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

I am in town for the show, how could I miss "Elvis at Graceland" :D
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

supplydavid wrote:I am in town for the show, how could I miss "Elvis at Graceland" :D
Enjoy David my friend
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Thanks to Lang for the setlist:

(W jazzmaster)
Strict Time
Clubland
Green Shirt
[switch to green 12-string]
Story about singing to Priscilla Presley on a Brit chat show. Sings one verse of Lieber & Stoller song “Please don’t say no” (unsure of title)
Accidents Will Happen (Hollywood High version start)
Brilliant Mistake
[switch to telecaster]
Watch your step
Why can’t a man stand alone?
Uncomplicated ( w Shotgun)
[4-string gretsch]
Story about recording in oxford, MS., Clarksdale, MS., and Hi-Tone in Memphis before playing -
Delivery Man
[telecaster]
Mystery dance
Marie’s the name of his latest flame (fun!!!)
Cry, Cry, Cry (w soulful backing vocals from Davey, who continues to be hard to hear over girl singers)
[jazzmaster]
Detectives (w minimal guitar solo, thank you very much)
[to piano]
I can’t stand up for falling down (slow version)
Blood and hot sauce (“a campaign song”)
Face in the Crowd
[back to jazzmaster after encouraging applause]
Radio, Radio
High Fidelity (always a highlight)
Mr & Mrs hurt
Getting mighty crowded (fun!!!)
Whisper to a Scream
Alison w “Make You Love Me” and “Suspicious Minds”
PUmp it up
Everyday I write the book (extended version w individual solos) w snippet of “Mr. Big Stuff”
PLU w snippet of “Mystery Train”to close

Songs listed but not played:
Suspect my tears
Unwanted number
Little triggers

Old story told about first tour “w Pete and Steve and another guy we used to know” staying in Howard Johnson w “hot and cold running clam chowder”. “Never dreamed we’d be playing in palace like Graceland.”
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://twitter.com/ElvisCostello/statu ... 4767823873
Hanging outside Stax with Robbie and Toast. Great to see our dear friend, Deanie Parker again. #Soulsville #thatswhereitat

https://twitter.com/ElvisCostello/statu ... 4099852288
Thanks also to our friends at Graceland Soundstage for a wonderful evening and a generous nighttime visit. #memphis #elviscostello

sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I'm so sad he didn't manage Big Sister's Clothes since it has the lines :-
With a hammer on the slap and tickle under grisly garments
With all the style and finesse of the purchase of armaments
Compassion went out of fashion
as this would have reflected his choice of attire for the evening !
If the shoes are a bit tight Elvis, please save them for me on the U.K. tour please :wink:
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

I was concerned alwalking into the venue, large open space with 'school chairs" set up. However the audience were all very enthusiastic , lots of dancing and none of the annoying chatter v listening to the show. So mad I missed Elvis at Stax. he referred to the Hi Tone shows, the original venue is still there but renamed growlers. I have a few photo's on my twitter @sproutsfan and the video of her latest flame.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Can we put the coat down to an error of judgement?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

At least the (nice) hat and the (not to my taste) shoes match.

Maybe Elvis is recreating the 1980s when Trust was released. I think he said something along the lines of the 80s being the decade that good taste forgot...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

I’m digging the hat, shoes and overall the color combo. Looks like he shopped at a “second line” clothing shop in NOLA.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.memphisflyer.com/MusicBlog/ ... -king-anew

That Other Elvis: Hearing Graceland & The King Anew

When Elvis Costello and the Imposters took the stage at Graceland last Saturday night, the irony was palpable. As it should be, given that this other Elvis is a songsmith and wordsmith of subtle twists and turns of phrase. The fact that he's also a dedicated fan and historian of Memphis music only gave the irony a more heartfelt touch. This show was nothing if not soulful.

Indeed, when the lights went down and shadows gathered on the stage, the first sounds we heard were exhortations to give our hearts to Jesus and the ecstatic sounds of a genuine gospel band. Then the lights came up and we saw that was all simply a recording, and the band launched into the thundering tom toms of "Strict Time."

Given that this is the "Just Trust" tour, starting with a track from that LP was not a complete surprise. Nor was the follow-up, "Clubland," in which the haunts of music scene-makers are cast in a kind of sardonic Cuban son. It's a tune that allows consummate keyboardist Steve Naive to shine, and shine he did, eclipsing even the glitter laden jacket and hat of Elvis himself.

The bandleader's whimsical outfit was just one manifestation of the playfulness he brought to the evening, perhaps inspired by the meta-irony of playing literally in the King's backyard. Dodges, feints, and witty asides were the order of the evening, and such looseness was a perfect foil to some of the thornier content of his back catalog.

Take, for example, song four, coming after a propulsive "Green Shirt." As Elvis said, "I once found myself sitting next to a woman, and I sang this to her..." With that, he launched into the evening's first nod to the King. Singing the chorus and song title plaintively, "Don't...Don't...Don't..." Elvis then abruptly cut off the tune with a curt quip, "So I didn't." Ba-dum-bum!

Later, he revealed that "the woman" was none other than Priscilla Presley, whom he met on a talk show, as he revealed in his generous between-song banter. Other bits of the King's history found their way into the set from then on: "Mystery Dance" gave way to a bit of "His Latest Flame;" the coda to "Alison" became a stylized interpolation of "Suspicious Minds;" and the old chestnut "What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love & Understanding" even had a bit of "Mystery Train" thrown in.

Other gems of Memphis music history were also present: a full-on rendition of Johnny Cash's "Cry, Cry, Cry;" a quote from "Mr. Big Stuff" at the end of "Everyday I Write the Book;" and an especially gospel-drenched treatment of a Sam & Dave tune Costello put his stamp on decades ago, "I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down."

If those references weren't entirely surprising, the new songs from this composer's composer certainly were, and they revealed a deeper Memphis influence than any lyrical quotations could. The first new, so far unreleased song was a "campaign song" in a gospel vein, with the chorus of "Blood and hot sauce!"

The second, "Face in the Crowd," revealed the provenance of the new material: "This is from a show coming your way," Costello explained, describing a live theater event he's collaborating on, based on the classic film of the same name. As the songwriter noted, "It'll be like The Sound of Music, with less Nazis."

Throughout the evening, the sound was a welcome improvement over the murk experienced at last year's Imposters show. And, if the front man himself was a bit winded at times by the stream of lyrics composed by his younger self, the band was sharp and on point. Kitten Kuroi and Briana Lee on background vocals seemed more integrated into the sound than last year, Davey Faragher on bass and vocal harmonies was better than ever, and original Attractions Steve Naive on keys and Pete Thomas on drums rekindled the old driving intensity with aplomb. It was a spirited evening, in which Costello's vocal chops only got better and better. Once again, he showed that one can find a perfect balance between punk energy and musical craftsmanship, between history and innovation, between irony and soul.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.