Elvis & The Imposters play Norfolk, VA, November 1, 2019

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters play Norfolk, VA, November 1, 2019

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis returns to play The NorVa in Norfolk on November 1, 2019. His previous show at this venue was in 2005 with The Pickups.
You can read about it here: EC Fan Forum thread.

There is a preview piece in The Virginian Pilot, which I cannot read or share with you because their website is currently unavailable in most European countries. Perhaps someone not in Europe can post the text to this thread.

I look forward to references to angry mobs, flaming pitchforks and Alan Partridge (oh, not that Norfolk, apparently).

Who's going?

MOOT
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Norfolk, VA, November 1, 2019

*Bump*

Anyone???

MOOT
Man out of Time

Setlist.fm has this:

1. Little Triggers
2. Clubland
3. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
4. Watching The Detectives
5. Everyday I Write The Book
6. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
7. Pump It Up
8. Accidents Will Happen
9. Alison
10. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
11. Strict Time
12. Charm School
13. From A Whisper To A Scream

The order seems pretty random, so I would be surprised if this was accurate, or indeed complete. A Face In The Crowd is missing for one thing...

MOOT
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Setlist fm:

Strict Time
Clubland
Green Shirt
(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
Accidents Will Happen
Little Triggers
Unwanted Number
Watching the Detectives
Watch Your Step
(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea
Opportunity
Party Girl
Less Than Zero
A Face in the Crowd
Blood & Hot Sauce
Charm School
Baby It's You
From a Whisper to a Scream
Alison
Everyday I Write the Book
Pump It Up
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
staccato66

Post by staccato66 »

https://www.pilotonline.com/entertainme ... story.html

Elvis Costello’s “Just Trust” tour delivers on its word, treating fans to favs and a few surprises
By Amy Poulter
The Virginian-Pilot | Nov 02, 2019 | 1:18 PM | Norfolk

Elvis Costello is a force to be reckoned with. The 65-year-old proved that when he and his band, the Imposters, stopped in for a show on Friday night at The NorVa.

The pop-rock powerhouse has been writing music and performing for more than 40 years. He’s on his second tour of 2019, impressive for any musician but slightly more so for Costello, who beat a cancer scare last year.

Named “Just Trust,” the tour made a simple promise: Come out to the show and be treated with a collection of fan favorites.

Flanked by his bandmates and two backup singers, Costello was primed and personable. Part musician, part storyteller, Costello took the audience behind-the-lyrics before ripping into “Accidents Will Happen” from his 1979 album, “Armed Forces.”

He’d just begun touring in the United States in 1978 when his band stopped in Tucson, Arizona. They were pampered on the road, Costello joked, staying in classy establishments like Howard Johnson, a run-of-the-mill hotel chain.

“The luxury had gone straight to our heads,” Costello quipped.

Costello had to take taxis around Tuscon, where he briefly fell for one of his cab drivers. Much like “Accident” lyrics relay, Costello said the attraction was “hit and run,” fizzling out when he and the driver couldn’t agree on a radio station for the ride.

He treated the sold-out venue to deep cuts and rarities, covering Nick Lowe’s “Baby It’s You” and throwing in “A Face in the Crowd,” which is slated for use in an upcoming stage musical of the same name based on Budd Schulberg’s story, “Your Arkansas Traveler.” That story was the basis for the 1957 film “A Face in the Crowd,” the political drama starring Andy Griffith.

“The musical is coming out next year,” Costello told the crowd from behind a piano. “It’s a lot like Mary Poppins, but with less killing.”

He played another number from the musical’s song list, the unreleased “Blood and Hot Sauce,” asking the crowd if it was too late to announce his bid for candidacy before ripping into the politically-charged anthem.

Costello played for just a few minutes shy of two hours. The first half of the night was packed with down-tempo tracks that gave the crowd ample time to settle in and groove along.

The band, and the crowd, hit their stride about halfway through. The turning point came when the stage darkened and Costello was enshrined in hot-pink beams of light for “Watching the Detectives.”

Some 42 years after the song was written, Costello still plays it with energy often reserved for newer material.

But he didn’t soak up the spotlight alone. Costello frequently threw the attention to his bandmates, giving each their moment at center stage.

Overall, Costello’s vocals are nearly identical to that of his earliest recordings. Even in the few moments his voice missed the mark, Costello didn’t seem to care at all. He was there to have a good time and it showed.

The ever-popular ballad “Alison” was given a dramatic treatment. Costello had already pulled his back-up singers, Kitten Kuroi and Brianna Lee, up beside him, their voices mingling to near perfection and delighting fans, who were now singing along.

Costello agreed to play one more song after that, quickly launching into “Everyday I Write the Book.”

But that wasn’t enough for him or the crowd. He added “Pump It Up” and “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding” before tipping his ever-present brimmed hat and walking off stage.

By night’s end, Costello’s “Just Trust” made good on its word.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

sweetest punch wrote:Unavailable in Europe: https://www.tribpub.com/gdpr/dailypress.com/
Same as the The Virginian-Pilot, already posted...

https://www.dailypress.com/entertainmen ... story.html