Look Now wins Grammy for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album!

Pretty self-explanatory
sulky lad

Re: Look Now wins Grammy for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album!

Post by sulky lad »

Of course Elvis WAS nominated for a Grammy with The Attractions in 1978 as best new act but was beaten by A Taste Of Honey and whilst I really like Look Now, it'll never supplant "Boogie Oogie Oogie" in my all time favourite songs -call yourself a songwriter Elvis? :shock: :wink:
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Chuffed for EC

In 1986 Phil Collins triumphed with No Jacket Required - the year King of America was released !!!!! and more !!!!!!!!
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

I've lived in Southern California for almost 12 years. The news of Kobe Bryant's death hit us like a nuclear bomb. We are all so deeply saddened for all the lives lost yesterday. I never pay attention to the Grammy's. I've always found them fairly useless. However, I am thrilled to see Elvis & the Imposters win. Look Now is brilliant. Useless or not, I'm happy to see Elvis get whatever recognition he can. He deserves it.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Fantastic news for Elvis, the Imposters, Kitten and Briana, and Sebastian! Congratulations all!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
jardine

Post by jardine »

from the interview

"we've got things coming . . .we've got something that will blow your mind if i told you what it was." I'm ready! and so glad for this grammy nod...great interview
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

jardine wrote: " . . .we've got something that will blow your mind if i told you what it was."
that got me well and truly teased too...
jardine

Post by jardine »

so is this blow your mind thing related to this? "New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!"
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.google.be/amp/s/variety.com ... 81796/amp/

(...)
Press room shenanigans rarely rate above the occasional political statement, but this year’s Grammys featured winner Elvis Costello singing to the gathered journalists and Matt Schulz from Cage the Elephant reading a poem called “Love Is Patient, Love Is Kind.” In addition, more than one Grammy winner used the trophy as a comedic prop.

Elvis Costello also revealed a future project: an in-the-works remix of his classic catalog by Sebastian Krys due out later this year. Said Costello: “The nature of that remix is going to be so surprising when you hear it, because it involves taking my voice off the record and replacing it entirely with Spanish language singers from across 12 Latin countries and Spain. … Because music doesn’t stand still. It needs to be reinterpreted. This is not a tribute record, this is a remix. It is the original backing tracks with nothing added instrumentally, interpreted by young and established and upcoming singers.”
(...)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Last edited by sweetest punch on Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
JerseyPride78

Post by JerseyPride78 »

sweetest punch wrote:https://www.google.be/amp/s/variety.com ... 81796/amp/

(...)
Press room shenanigans rarely rate above the occasional political statement, but this year’s Grammys featured winner Elvis Costello singing to the gathered journalists and Matt Schulz from Cage the Elephant reading a poem called “Love Is Patient, Love Is Kind.” In addition, more than one Grammy winner used the trophy as a comedic prop.

Elvis Costello also revealed a future project: an in-the-works remix of his classic catalog by Sebastian Krys due out later this year. Said Costello: “The nature of that remix is going to be so surprising when you hear it, because it involves taking my voice off the record and replacing it entirely with Spanish language singers from across 12 Latin countries and Spain. … Because music doesn’t stand still. It needs to be reinterpreted. This is not a tribute record, this is a remix. It is the original backing tracks with nothing added instrumentally, interpreted by young and established and upcoming singers.”
(...)
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that this is the big news.
jardine

Post by jardine »

is this " blow your mind" thing related to this "New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!""?
and are these this??? spanish language remixes?

is this and this that? if so, i'll give it a listen, and it could be intriguing to hear, but my mind remains...off-hand, such a remix of look now makes most sense?????? those delicious melodies and harmonies with spanish...hmm
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/elv ... 203482677/

Grammy Winner Elvis Costello Says ‘It Was More Punk’ to Give Best New Artist to A Taste of Honey in 1979

Costello, who picked up his second Grammy for "Look Now" Sunday, now laughs and says it was "appropriate" to have lost to the disco group behind "Boogie Oogie Oogie" back in the day.

Elvis Costello picked up his second contemporary Grammy on Sunday for his 2018 album “Look Now,” making his first trip to the podium since he and Burt Bacharach won for their joint project “Painted from Memory” 21 years ago. But, of course, it’s his first miss, all the way back in 1979, that continues to tickle the public imagination.

That was the year that Costello was nominated for best new artist, and lost… to the all-female disco group A Taste of Honey, famous for — and only famous for — “Boogie Oogie Oogie.” Costello wasn’t alone among future heavyweights missing the brass ring that year, as the Cars were also nominated and lost in ’79, making it one of the most ignominious and still oft-mocked moments in Grammy upset history.

“I don’t know that it was such a terribly big surprise, or really necessarily a bad thing, that A Taste of Honey won,” Costello told Variety this weekend. “That was a really good record! In fact, that was in some ways more punk to give it to them than it would have been to give it to us.”

The Grammys did make up for it, as best they could: The debut album that was most responsible for his best new artist nom, 1977’s “My Aim Is True,” was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 2007.

“You know my history with the Grammys. You know the first time was so absurd that everybody still quotes it,” he says now. There are no hard feelings. “I had a reputation by then. In ‘79, they knew all about us by then. I wasn’t a new thing. I wasn’t like we had just appeared. If it had been January ’78, I think we could have been aggrieved not to win. But we were already established in America by the time the Grammys got round to nominating us in ‘79. So the fact that a big hit record that was a joyful record like that won — I think it was totally appropriate.”

The upset was the subject of an in-joke in the movie “Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool,” for which Costello wrote an end-titles song, the year before last. Unbeknown to him, “they use ‘Boogie Oogie Oogie’ in the film immediately before they use ‘Pump It Up,’ as a kind of a signpost for it being 1979, which I thought was really funny on the part of the music supervisor. It wasn’t my doing.”

As for his win Sunday night for “Look Now,” Costello gives much of the credit to the album’s producer, Sebastian Krys, one of the major names in the Latin music world.

“I think he deserves it. He should have had a Grammy nomination for producer anyway,” says Costello, who’s now working on another project with Krys (pictured above at the ceremony, second from left, along with drummer Pete Thomas and bassist Davey Faragher). “If you look at it Sebastian’s credits and achievements and awards and accolades, that’s a big shelf of Grammys and, specifically Latin Grammy producer of the year. That’s a pretty big deal.”

(Krys has won 10 Latin Grammys in all, which makes him the sixth most rewarded person in the history of that show. He’s also won seven American Grammys. The producer’s list of credits includes Shakira, Ricky Martin, Gloria Estefan, Luis Fonsi and Alejandro Sanz, with Costello as one of only a handful of English-speaking rock acts he’s taken on to date.)

Because a Costello Grammy nomination would not be complete without at least a bit of eyebrow-raising, brows were lifted this year when “Look Now” was nominated in the traditional pop album, alongside Barbra Streisand, Michael Buble and a John Legend Christmas album. “Look Now” definitely leaned on ’60s pop traditions as well as the sound of intimate musical theater… but traditional?

“Traditional pop used to refer to records that were based on standards from the Great American Songbook. They changed that this year, and that’s why we’re nominated alongside Barbra Streisand.” He’s open to the idea that, as his fellow artists in the category mostly have covered standards, he’s created his own. “If you’re performing your songs yourself after 40 years and people still want to hear them, maybe those are standards. That doesn’t make them equal to ‘Night and Day,’ but that speaks to the endurance of a lot of different types of songs at this point.”

“Look Now” included a handful of co-writes with Bacharach — which may be his lucky charm when i comes to winning Grammys — although, unlike “Painted from Memory,” it’s a band album, recording with his longtime ensemble the Imposters, playing a bit more gently than they’re known for.

“Our record is traditional in a sense is that we are committed to that aesthetic of that record and we don’t deviate from it,” he said. “There’s a variety of rhythms and harmonic development of the songs, but we are committed to the idea. We didn’t suddenly decide we were going to have a freakout kind of psychedelic number in the middle of the album. The aesthetic is based in the idea of having things really in their place. It’s not layered, layered, layered, layered. I think that is a traditional form of arranging, if there’s any word that describes it other than good. It’s some kind of tradition to work like that, which obviously isn’t common now, because things are heavily layered and processed to create what those producers want, which isn’t necessarily what I want to hear, but it’s obviously what a lot of other people want.”

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://mobile.twitter.com/ElvisCostell ... gr%5Etweet

The New Supergroup: “CC&C” #cameroncrowe, #davidcrosby
@elvis costello

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://mobile.twitter.com/ElvisCostell ... gr%5Etweet

The New Supergroup 2: “C&C” Great to meet Chance and his Mom, Lisa. ⁦
@chancetherapper @ElvisCostello⁩ #looknow

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://mobile.twitter.com/ElvisCostell ... 8037224448

The way we feel now.
A gas to meet Son and his Mom and Dad. A proud day for fathers and sons and grandsons #theimposters #anderson .paak #@ElvisCostello

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

sweetest punch wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/ElvisCostell ... 8037224448

The way we feel now.
A gas to meet Son and his Mom and Dad. A proud day for fathers and sons and grandsons #theimposters #anderson .paak #@ElvisCostello

Wow - Elvis and Anderson .Paak's son

I want an EC-Andy collab now!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

The photo with Elvis with his Grammy looks like he's making the hand gesture with his left hand he makes on one of the This Year's Model L.P. covers.
John

Post by John »

It’s a shame Steve couldn’t make it. I thought he was looking particularly well when I first saw the photographs!
jardine

Post by jardine »

made the same mistake myself for a second
Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 5.27.30 AM copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 5.27.30 AM copy.jpg (49.12 KiB) Viewed 68864 times
and yes, hand gesture
Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 5.24.19 AM copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 5.24.19 AM copy.jpg (150.34 KiB) Viewed 68864 times
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://mobile.twitter.com/KittenKuroi/ ... 7212057601

Kitten Kuroi:
So.... WE WON A GRAMMY! // This is the band's first time winning a Grammy and I'm so honored and proud to be singing on this brilliant record. I knew from 1st listen 'twas something special!
@ElvisCostello
#GRAMMYAwards2020 #elviscostello #elviscostelloandtheimposters
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://mobile.twitter.com/DianaKrall/s ... gr%5Etweet

LOOK NOW !
So thrilled for my brilliant husband @ElvisCostello and the Imposters,
@SebastianKrys #BurtBacharach, @KittenKuroi @brianadlee
for receiving a @RecordingAcad Award for their beautiful album #LookNow
Congratulations to everyone !