Elvis & The Imposters play Eventim Olympia, Liverpool, February 28, 2020

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters play Eventim Olympia, Liverpool, February 28, 2020

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis and The Imposters open their JustTrust UK 2020 tour at the Eventim Olympia in Liverpool on February 28, 2020.

The Eventim Olympia is located on West Derby Road, just to the North of the city centre. Built in 1905 the ballroom was originally known as Locarno, and has been a key venue in the city for over 70 years. It now hosts a diverse range of events; concerts, comedy, boxing, fashion shows, club nights and more. According to Wikipedia it now has a capacity of 1,960.

Despite having made at least 52 previous concert appearances in Liverpool, this is Elvis' first show at the Olympia, and a change from playing smaller venues including the Mountford Hall, the Philharmonic Hall, and the Royal Court.

In the news section at Elviscostello.com Elvis writes thus about the tour:

" The tour opens on February 28th at the Eventim Olympia in Liverpool, a former circus on the West Derby Road and therefore on the singer's bus
route home from school during his years living on Merseyside."

In trailing the UK Tour, Elvis posted a series of images on Twitter as clues to the venues. This was the clue for Liverpool:
Where's me shirt?
Where's me shirt?
mw83026.jpg (220.14 KiB) Viewed 42388 times
Sadly there was no venue in Knotty Ash large enough to hold this show.

Who is going?

MOOT
Top balcony

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Eventim Olympia, Liverpool, February 28, 2020

Post by Top balcony »

Me

Knotty Ash is in the West Derby area of Liverpool and the Olympia is on West Derby Rd!
Harry Worth

Post by Harry Worth »

Top balcony wrote: Knotty Ash is in the West Derby area of Liverpool and the Olympia is on West Derby Rd!
Eh? All that sitting up in the nosebleeds watching subbuteo men has confused your geography!*
Unless you're going to get all historical and say Knotty Ash is in the West Derby Hundred (see wikipedia for more details) it'll be at least a tenner for a cab up Rocky Lane and along Queens Drive between the Olympia and the Jam Butty Mines.
I did wonder if Doddy ever played the Olympia but it stopped being a theatre in 1948, so I reckon the clue was just meaning a Liverpool gig would be included.

(*I'm more of an Upper Bullens man myself)
DeathWearsABigHat

Post by DeathWearsABigHat »

I'm going to this one. Very excited already.
I think this will be something like my 26th Elvis gig? A new Liverpool venue too having previously seen him at Empire, Picket and the twice at the Philharmonic.
"trust the wizards, here we go" http://www.trustthewizards.com
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Harry

-it's a great spec on row B of the Top Balcony - for me the best in the ground and where I sit none of those pesky pillars which can bedevil the Upper Bullens
- Don't confuse me with being confused :roll:

Death
-The Picket show is my all time favourite, although they've all been shades of great, did you never see him at the Royal Court? I am hoping that this crumbling edifice will replicate those standing shows.
Harry Worth

Post by Harry Worth »

Ah, restricted views, the bane of my life! Once upon a time I would have been able to wave to you from the opposite Row B behind the camera position. These not 3 o'clock on Saturday days I'm an irregular visitor, second to back row of the Lower Bullens last time, ball could be going into orbit for all you know there!

I've seen many a great EC gig at the Royal Court. 21 Dec 82 stand out, not only the best gig I ever been to (a Punch the Clock set with Imperial Horns backed Get Happy Encores) I went in full of the flu and came out cured!

Despite the crumbing edifice appeal of the place I've not got a ticket for the Olympia, though I can see a good chance of a 'shall we see if there's any tickets left' moment in the new year.
After show party next door in The Grafton?
History Repeats

Post by History Repeats »

Hello—considering coming over from the states for this—-can someone share with me the layout of the venue?

On AXS/AEG i am offered “standing stalls” and lower balcony general admission seats”...

Any insight on this venue would be appreciated (the homepage of theirs wasnt very helpful

Thanks, very much!!
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Hi History

Despite never actually attending I can offer some insights I hope. History of the venue is available via Wikipedia and a google search will show images of the arena. Basically it's a U-shape and this show has 1200 standing downstairs, plus 750 ie two balconies of 'unreserved seating'. The venue told me how the 'unreserved seating' works - you simply queue outside and upon entry are directed to your seat. This seemed fraught to me, but I was told that they're really experienced at this approach and there's never any problems!It's about a mile outside the city centre, surrounded by very little apart from the Grafton with it's legendary grab-a-granny nights.

So why should you pick this show to attend? Basically 'cos it's in Liverpool. Elvis is a master of stagecraft and always plays to his audience, expect a raft of banter in a place EC regards as (one of his) home. Support is also a Scouser - Ian Prowse. Elvis got Ian on stage here a few years ago to sing Ferry 'Cross the Mersey with him.The prospect of IP singing Does this Train Stop on Merseyside - about the Hillsborough disaster - gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

Here's a link to a review of The Specials playing the Olympia, includes a photo mid gig and comments about the venue : http://www.gigslutz.co.uk/the-specials- ... l-olympia/

I think this has the potential to be a stellar show, of course the sound could be awful and the performers could be rusty as it's the first night so perhaps twin it with a seated show or two?

Hope this helps, venue expects to sell out, and quickly.

Colin
History Repeats

Post by History Repeats »

Colin

Thank you! This is very helpful

Hope to see you there

Ken
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

You're welcome - hope to see you too!
John

Post by John »

Crikey, the reviews don’t look great about this venue. Anyone been?
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

I haven't been John, but am going to visit a guitar shop which is next door tomorrow afternoon and will report back!
Meanwhile I would advise all motorists to take advantage of the secure car park which is advertised on the venue's website. Don't know the area so can't recommend a pub for a pre-show chat :(
As for the state of the place, I'm imagining it as the natural successor to three much-loved and no-longer-with-us music venues in the city : Liverpool Stadium : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_Stadium,[u] Erics : [/u] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric%27s_Club, and Royal Court Theatre (pre-2007) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Cou ... _Liverpool.
All three were BIG on atmosphere and LACKING in facilities!
See you at the front.

Colin
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Only thing I can add to my post above is that there aren't any pubs near the venue, the vicinity is a bit bleak.
Oh and I heard EC sing a bit of Why Can't a Man Stand Alone whilst chatting to the friendly box office assistant.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

I'm up for this, and very excited. First date of a new tour, and in Liverpool. Mrs H is a scouser and the house she grew up in is less than two miles from the venue so that's a good start. Plus all of EC's Liverpool connections - last time I saw him was at the Phil in 2016 when his Mum was there, and Bleasdale and all that carry-on. My party consists of myself, Mrs H, H Junior (now 21 but well-grounded in EC) and best friend from Secondary School (traveling over from Llandudno). My first-ever 'proper' gig was EC on Colwyn Bay pier in March 1980, and he (my school-friend) was there that night too, 40 years ago. And this will be my 25th EC gig. So I'm champing at the bit.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Hawksmoor wrote:I'm up for this, and very excited. First date of a new tour, and in Liverpool. Mrs H is a scouser and the house she grew up in is less than two miles from the venue so that's a good start. Plus all of EC's Liverpool connections - last time I saw him was at the Phil in 2016 when his Mum was there, and Bleasdale and all that carry-on. My party consists of myself, Mrs H, H Junior (now 21 but well-grounded in EC) and best friend from Secondary School (traveling over from Llandudno). My first-ever 'proper' gig was EC on Colwyn Bay pier in March 1980, and he (my school-friend) was there that night too, 40 years ago. And this will be my 25th EC gig. So I'm champing at the bit.
Hope we can meet up so I can pick you brains about theColwyn Bay gig - like you I’m wildly excited about tomorrow !!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Have a fantastic time on the first night of the tour, one and all! x
John

Post by John »

Thanks Neil.
John

Post by John »

Hi Colin
Can you pm me your mobile number? The one I have must be out of date.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Anyone going to Liverpool tonight who wants to buy a ticket for Manchester on 12/3?

Seat is Circle E32
Face value is £66.50

PM me if interested
I am sitting off soon but will check phone on arrival.

Mike H
JerseyPride78

Post by JerseyPride78 »

Some video clips are starting to show up on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9H_02klspc/
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

Turning the Town Red!!
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

[quote="stricttime81"]Turning the Town Red!![/quotehaving anticipated both
Strict time as opener, and playing Turning The Town Red, I can now be trusted to predict all the next set lists AND who will win the Premier :wink: League!
John

Post by John »

Some missing off that list.
Getting Mighty Crowded :D
Unwanted Number
Mr and Mrs Hush
Flutter and Wow

Great to see everyone.
Quick thoughts. Elvis really struggles with some songs now. Shipbuilding was not good. Mostly great though. More enjoyable once girls moved to the front. From A Whisper To A Scream was a surprise highlight with the girls as was Getting Mighty Crowded.
Elvis changed a verse in Oliver’s Army which spoiled the song-a-long a bit.
Elvis’ mum was there and Elvis expressed his heartfelt thanks to the staff at Arrow Park hospital.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »