Elvis & The Imposters play Sunderland Empire, March 3, 2020

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters play Sunderland Empire, March 3, 2020

Post by Man out of Time »

As part of the JustTrust UK 2020 Tour, Elvis and the Imposters play the Sunderland Empire theatre. Simon Meechan writing in The Newcastle Chronicle previews this concert in an article published on 16 September:

"Elvis Costello & The Imposters to play their first Sunderland concert in 40 years

The singer and his band are brining their new show to UK theatres early next year
Photo credit: Joel Goodman
Photo credit: Joel Goodman
Newcastle Chronicle September 2019.jpg (70.9 KiB) Viewed 29722 times
Elvis Costello & The Imposters have announced a new tour, including the frontman's first live appearance in Sunderland for four decades.

The band will perform at Sunderland Empire on Tuesday March 3, 2020 on their first tour of the next decade.

The tour is called "Just Trust" - and is named so in answer to questions fans might have, such as "Will they play my favourite song?."

Elvis will be backed by Steve Nieve on keyboards, Pete Thomas on drums, and bassist and vocalist, Davey Faragher, as well as singers Kitten Kuroi and Briana Lee, who appeared on the 2018 record Look Now, and joined his tour last summer, including a show at Newcastle City Hall .

Tickets are on-sale this Friday September 20 at 10am.

Tickets will be available at elviscostello.com and aegpresents.co.uk

Elvis Costello & The Imposters 'Just Trust' Spring 2020 Tour Dates

February

Fri 28th LIVERPOOL, Eventim Olympia

March

Sun 1st SOUTHAMPTON, Mayflower Theatre

Mon 2nd NOTTINGHAM, Royal Concert Hall

Tues 3rd SUNDERLAND, Empire Theatre

Thurs 5th GLASGOW, SEC Armadillo

Sat 7th SHEFFIELD, City Hall

Mon 9th BLACKPOOL, Opera House Theatre

Tues 10th EDINBURGH, The Usher Hall

Thurs 12th MANCHESTER, Palace Theatre

Fri 13th LONDON, Eventim Apollo

Sun 15th OXFORD, New Theatre Oxford

Mon 16th CARDIFF, Wales Millennium Centre

Wed 18th BIRMINGHAM, Symphony Hall"

Anyone going?

MOOT
sulky lad

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Sunderland Empire, March 3, 2020

Post by sulky lad »

Never been to Sunderland so could be one of my little haunts :wink:
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

take your boots, the way Sunderland you may get a game.

I went to the last show in Sunderland in March 1980. It was in the renamed Mayfair but above a bowling alley. I met Elvis and the band playing a game that afternoon before the show. I :lol:
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

supplydavid wrote:take your boots, the way Sunderland you may get a game.

I went to the last show in Sunderland in March 1980. It was in the renamed Mayfair but above a bowling alley. I met Elvis and the band playing a game that afternoon before the show. I :lol:
I think Argyle might need me before Sunderland ( slightly less in travel expenses too!) A recording exists I think from Sunderland 1980 ( :wink: )- any great stories about the show? apart from Elvis winning at bowling because he's a six fingered man ( geddit !!!) :roll:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Promo interview -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p084q ... SMu3JAoWP8

Usual stories. The best moment was when the DJ told Elvis that the venue for the Sunderland show is where Sid James died , on stage in 1976. Elvis seems to be lost for words.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/peo ... ire-636199

Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Preview article by Sophie Brownson published in the Sunderland Echo on September 19, 2019....

"Elvis Costello and The Imposters set to perform their first Sunderland concert in 40 years

Elvis Costello and The Imposters will bring their new show to Sunderland Empire Theatre as part of their latest ‘Just Trust’ tour.
Photo credit: Ian West
Photo credit: Ian West
Ian West.jpg (53.14 KiB) Viewed 28191 times
The highly-anticipated Sunderland show is set to take place on March 3, 2020, where it will be their first appearance in the city for 40 years.

Joining Costello will be his band The Imposters, who are comprised of keyboardist Steve Nieve, drummer Pete Thomas and bassist and vocalist Davey Faraher.

They will be joined by singers Kitten Kuroi and Briana Lee who also appeared on the Look Now album in 2018.
Elvis Costello and The Imposters are set to perform at the Sunderland Empire Theatre.
Elvis Costello and The Imposters are set to perform at the Sunderland Empire Theatre.
Empire.jpg (82.09 KiB) Viewed 28191 times
The 13-date tour will be the first in a decade for Elvis Costello and The Imposters – kicking off on February 28 at the Eventim Olympia in Liverpool and then ending on March 18 in Birmingham at Symphony Hall.

Tickets will go on sale this Friday, September 20, from 10am.

Costello began his career as part of London's pub rock scene in the early 1970s and later became associated with the first wave of the British punk and new wave movement that emerged in the mid-to-late 1970s.

Shortly after recording it, he formed the Attractions as his backing band.

One of his most popular songs was ‘Oliver’s Army’ which appeared on his third album Armed Forces which was released in 1979.

Costello and the Attractions toured and recorded together for around a decade before they split in 1986.

Tickets are available at elviscostello.com or aegpresents.co.uk"

MOOT
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Cocktail Murderess and Spirit Of
Curiosity are already on stools in a local pub - it seems it’s easier to get passed in Sunderland that to get fat though I’ve done my best with a powerful Thai curry ! Might just give Ian Prowse a miss I enjoyed him on Sunday night be today I’ve sat fir too long so I’ll have a stretch on my hotel bed before walking the 5 minutes to the Empire - anyone want a spare ticket?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sulky lad wrote:Cocktail Murderess and Spirit Of
Curiosity are already on stools in a local pub - it seems it’s easier to get passed in Sunderland that to get fat though I’ve done my best with a powerful Thai curry ! Might just give Ian Prowse a miss I enjoyed him on Sunday night be today I’ve sat fir too long so I’ll have a stretch on my hotel bed before walking the 5 minutes to the Empire - anyone want a spare ticket?
I do. :D
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Okay, you Brit punters. This show ended, like, four hours ago. Where's the setlist?! Videos?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.google.be/amp/s/www.chronic ... 859196.amp

Review: Elvis Costello at Sunderland Empire - 'still agitating and not ready to join the establishment

Elvis brought the Imposters to Sunderland Empire and proved he is 'still agitating and not ready to join the establishment quite yet'

Forty years after last playing Sunderland, and two since a gig in Newcastle showed he had come back too early from cancer treatment, Elvis Costello returned to the North East seemingly hellbent on proving he remains in rude musical health.

His show at the Sunderland Empire may well have included some of the same material played at Tiffany’s nightclub in 1980, drawing as it did largely on the early period of his career when the guitars were loud and the songs bursting with urgency.

But with a career that has racked up 24 albums and hundreds of songs, there were also some unexpected delights, not least 1986’s Tokyo Storm Warning, which manages to be both macabre and hilarious. It also has great drums.

From backing band The Imposters, long-term collaborator Steve Nieve hops between six or seven keyboards alongside drummer Pete Thomas and bass player Davey Farragher. But it is the relatively recent addition of backing singers Kitten Kuroi and Briana Lee that really lift the band. As the set unfurls, they play an increasingly prominent role, flanking Costello on songs like Everyday I Write the Book and adding strength when his vocals become a bit croaky.

Long-time favourite Alison morphs into the Motown hit I’m Gonna Make You Love Me while Pump It Up – written on a fire escape at the old Swallow Hotel in Newcastle, pop fans – gets the Empire jumping.

A now traditional race through Nick Lowe’s What’s So Funny ‘Bout Peace, Love and Understanding brings things to a close, backed by a slide show that outlines the role both of Costello’s grandfathers played in World War One.

Two weeks after receiving an OBE – which he accepted as a tribute to those forbears, and because his mam told him to – this was a gig that served as a reminder that Costello is still agitating and not ready to join the establishment quite yet.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

sweetest punch wrote:Two weeks after receiving an OBE...this was a gig that served as a reminder that Costello is still...not ready to join the establishment quite yet.
Nothing says anti-establishment more than accepting an OBE :?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

By the way, how was Elvis' voice as this was the third night in a row?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

His voice was pretty good ,Shipbuilding isn’t the nightmare it had been though one still wishes he wouldn’t sing it - though Steve’s playing is breathtaking at times. TSW was a flamethrower with Pete imitating a Japanese earthquake and Daveys head shaking made me fear for his Neck muscles. At no stage did one fear Elvis was going to lose any power though maybe the range is a bit more limited so that he resorts to a lot
of falsetto. The girls certainly seem to appreciate his forays into the higher registers . Will do full setlist later this pm hopefully !
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

To me it seems oddly incongruous that his falsetto becomes a safe zone for him when in distress....i guess perhaps a trained singer could explain why that would be. Listening back to Port Chester NY from October past that i had recently acquired, surely verifies just this as i thought was the case live in person those two nights. Keep enjoying sulky.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Setlist :
1. Strict Tine
2. Clubland
3. Green Shirt
4. Accidents Will Happen
5. Watch Your Step
6. Tokyo Storm Warning
7. Little Triggers
8. (I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea
9. Unwanted Number- 99 And A Half Won’t Do
10. Watching The Detectives
11. Man Out Of Time with taped IB intro
12. Good Year For The Roses
13. A Face In The Crowd
14. I Can’t Stand Up (For Falling Down) - ballad version
15. Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter
16. High Fidelity
17. From A Whisper To A Scream
18. Alison - I’m Gonna Make You Love Me
19. Everyday I Write The Book - Mr. Big Stuff
20. Pump It Up
21. Shipbuilding
22. Oliver’s Army
23. (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Two questions sulky please....is it my bad recollection or were there times in years past when MOOT outro was played live??? I don't think i ever remember the live intro. But i feel like i recall the outro played live at least once. I'm thinking perhaps that it was 1983 with TKO Horns for some reason....into RIFF RIFF RIFF??? Also, as far as i know I CAN'T STAND UP was first played slowly on 12/31/1981 hence i call it the NYE version. Do you know if i am accurate on this? Thanks, ba
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Hi BA,
Not sure about the live / taped intros and outdid to MOOT though I feel like I’ve heard the intro before so probably at a UK concert . Didn’t see them in 83 :( but I feel like it was probably an Imposters show. I have a feeling the NYE version of ICan’t Stand Up was played at the Rainbow Theatre in December 1981 but I’d have to check my details when I get home ! Not a lot of help sorry
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sulky lad wrote:Hi BA,
Not sure about the live / taped intros and outdid to MOOT though I feel like I’ve heard the intro before so probably at a UK concert . Didn’t see them in 83 :( but I feel like it was probably an Imposters show. I have a feeling the NYE version of ICan’t Stand Up was played at the Rainbow Theatre in December 1981 but I’d have to check my details when I get home ! Not a lot of help sorry
Don't be silly... always a great help. I loved the CLOCKING IN ACROSS AMERICA tour. I will check my archives too and get back about it. Understandably, you know my first time seeing STAND UP slowed down on that date gave me the inkling to label it so. You KNOW i am an idea man. :lol:
And did i interpret your post at other thread correctly??? GOING TO FIRST TEN OR ELEVEN SHOWS THIS MONTH??? AWESOME...IF SO. for you and us all. 8)
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I’m actually doing them all because of retirement and kindness of family and friends !! Just arrived at Glasgow and met by KRM off the train so we’re in tandem for the SEC arena!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Long-time favourite Alison morphs into the Motown hit I’m Gonna Make You Love Me while Pump It Up – written on a fire escape at the old Swallow Hotel in Newcastle, pop fans – gets the Empire jumping.

Something to be checked out -

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/busines ... h-12587389